You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isolation/working from home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Reckon we will be working from home from next week on. We got a stern warning today not to be taking the piss about up uploading to social media. Wonder does YBIG count

I’ve been posting on YBIG for 10 years from my office chair so would be strange if I got in trouble for posting on it when working from home LOL

LOL

Same here. Funny thing is I got pulled for being on Tripadvisor even though I didn't sign in on the work PC. Never had any hassle when I was signing in on ybig.

Any website where you need to log in will always be a red flag to any monitored internet system in your workplace as you can potentially upload and attach work docs to your profile.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Business as usual for me. All my work in in Japan, Germany and the US etc...I could work on the moon.

Pain in my hoop though I don't like working from home get very bored with it and usually go the boozer after work just to get out of the house

My wife and kids are here too working and doing school work, I'd bring the kids up for a game of ball in the morning and go for a run and a cycle in the evening. Hasn't been too bad as of yet.

I have been trying to following the guidelines but happily go to the shops and to the park etc...and have some level of normality.

You still working for the big blue Horsebox? 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:38pm
In the office as normal. Possibly a more reduced capacity from next week.

TBH, i will continue to go into the office as it's (as bonkers as it sounds) a nice routine. Dress down fridays now applies to all days so less hassle ironing shirts and preparing to leave the house.

My job is easier when in the office anyway. Requires a lot of meetings. Albeit done at a safe distance for now.

Gym closed, pubs closed, f**k all else to do. Will get harder in the Summer months. A lot more outdoor activities. Social distance knacker drinking perhaps.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:52pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Work got me to send out somethings to help people who haven't WFH before - just somethings regarding mental health etc. Just thought I would share, take a read if you like. 

Bump that in 3 weeks time.....LOL

WFH 2 out of 3 days since Monday, work have split teams and tried to ensure no crossover between them, as well as that giving room for social distancing in office for the people that are in there. 1st day ever WFH today, like Mayo mark said, weird, but I suppose I'll get used to it, and going into the office every 3 days will be a break from it too, though feck knows if that will continue long term.

Did get a good bit done though, and for the first time in ages, had no 'wans' talking sh*te about love island and what they are wearing to their cousin's wedding next week, and what Johnny & Mary got up to at school, so its not all bad.....

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:41am
Surprised WFH is not an option for all office based staff at this stage but anyway it will be forced upon all employers soon enough.

I find if there’s something you really need to focus on; WFH is brilliant. Otherwise not being around other team members is naturally inefficient. 

I do find people can tend to work harder from home because they are more conscious of managers questioning output- possibly again because no distractions.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:44am
I work from home a fair amount but just about everything I do depends on in-person hearings and either preparing for cases or doing reports afterwards (I do a bit of decision making for a couple of state panels). I have about seven or eight reports to do for hearings I've had in the last few months but once those are done, I'm going to be out of work. It'll take me about a month, probably, at a rate of two a week, but thereafter I'm effectively unemployed. Still, I have work to be doing for the time being and no reason to panic just yet. I've been up with the folks (neither that old or with any underlying health issues, thankfully) in the north for almost a week at this stage and I plan to stay here rather than go back to Dublin. It's probably safer to be in a rural area than a city, anyway.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:58am
Work in grocery retail, finished my 11th day day in row earlier, next day off is this Saturday Ouch
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:21am
Wouldn't be unusual for me to work for home, normally only a day every couple of weeks or so though. Difference is this time ive a docking station and two monitors taken home from the office with me as I knew I wouldn't be back for a while.

We have to take 6 days annual leave before the end of April which is a bit crap. 

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:30am
I'm flying back in from States HOPEFULLY Saturday and looks like other half and me will have self isolate for 14 days. She's a nurse so it's a strange one but I just have go with HSE directive. All for the common good.
Can't say I'm not worried. Not worried for myself but just where is this going. I'm usually a strong happy person but it's hard to be happy now about anything. Even stupid Coronavirus social media clips are pis**ing me off now. Maybe I'm too old :)
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

I find if there’s something you really need to focus on; WFH is brilliant. Otherwise not being around other team members is naturally inefficient.
Used to be a big advocate of this but having the wife also WFH and 2 kids around also throws a spanner in that works. At the moment we both take the kids out for 2 hours, me in the morning, she in the afternoon, that passes the day for them. Running out of ideas for them, been to parks and beach every day.

With work, I'm in financial advice which is something that is drying up naturally, so my working day is likely to get shorter and shorter over the weeks.

In spare time, been trying to get a few things sorted. Bought some stuff for the garden to get that sorter for summer, the wife had a wishlist from ikea so got plenty of DIY to get through, and have started trying to teach myself about the stockmarket. It's something I always wanted to understand more, and it's one activity/sport that's still going on, so there's plenty of news to follow. Might even make myself a bit of money someday.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I went home sick from work this day week ago on Wednesday morning, was just a stomach bug and ear infection that I had. 
So spent from Wednesday to Sunday in bed or on the couch. Back to work on Monday in a busy enough office with about 50-60 people in it each day (open planned) 
Talk today that we are going to be WFH from this Friday, the sooner the better for me as I’m afraid of catching something in work and bringing it home.
Once Friday comes that’s me I’ll be hibernating hopefully. Plan is to only leave the house for walks/jogs or to go to the shop. This is serious and the approach in the north has been ridiculous so far, so I’ll be doing all I can to stay safe 

Similar to you working in a busy office with no social distancing, don’t think it’s plausible for us to work from home so we are pretty much working until we are forced to self isolate, four in the office doing this already.

With this corona virus our work has doubled too so we are in a difficult position.

Stress levels on the rise.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Work in grocery retail, finished my 11th day day in row earlier, next day off is this Saturday Ouch
Enjoy your day off you retail workers really are amazing keeping everything going.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 19 Mar 2020 at 8:09am
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Enjoy your day off you retail workers really are amazing keeping everything going.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:51am
Have been off for the last 2 weeks. UAE schools were closed about 10 days before Irish ones. However, this was due to the government bringing forward the scheduled 2 week break at the end of March, giving themselves time to implement and test out online teaching platforms. It was convenient timing for them, rather than any great foresight into the seriousness of the virus.

Schools re-open on Sunday, however students are told to stay at home for another 2 weeks. We'll all be in our separate offices but I share one. 

It's a government controlled media over here so we're limited in the news we receive about how serious it is. And in true UAE form, all the figures released about cases of COVID-19 are attributed to residents from other countries. Apparently no Emiratis have caught it LOL However, I will say that the limited news reports have prevented any mass panic/stockpiling of groceries, etc that you see at home. Shelves are still stocked with food, how long that will last though is anyone's guess.

We're not on a lock-down (yet) so there's still a lot of people out and about. Bars, cinemas, gyms are all closed for about 3-4 weeks so that probably explains the amount of people around the beaches and parks. The temperatures have started to rise over the last 2 weeks though so if it gets much hotter, it will definitely lead to people spending a lot more time inside.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:24am

Copy and paste from FB but it’s a useful read if you are in self isolation 

THINGS WOT I HAVE LEARNT AFTER BEING VIRTUALLY HOUSEBOUND FOR 3 YEARS THAT MAY BE HELPFUL TO THOSE IN SELF ISOLATION AND/OR LOCKDOWN DURING  THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:

(Background: I have a lifelong disability and am a wheelchair user. After surgery I’ve basically been stuck living and sleeping in one room for three years.  These are things I have learnt which may help, though with the caveat that everyone is different, and baseline mental health varies.)

1. YOUR MENTAL HEALTH WILL PROBABLY SUFFER - and although humans are social creatures, even the most introverted will chafe against boundaries enforced upon them by circumstance. The degree to which it suffers will be related to your mental health baseline and physical health. Understand that this IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Stimuli and enrichment methods are required. It’s why animals need such things in zoos and conservation parks. This leads us on to my next point.

2. COMPREHEND WHICH ACTIVITIES ARE ACTIVE AND PASSIVE FOR YOU Spending your confinement solely doing passive things (watching TV, Netflix, browsing the internet, scrolling through the internet) will take a load off your brain and make the time pass quicker. But if that’s all you do, the sense of disconnection increases over time. Activities which require you to *do* something, even if it’s just engaging your motor skills via video games, or lifting some cans of beans, or actively reading - these deliberate acts foster a tiny sense of achievement which gives your brain a dose of helpful chemicals. If you want to consider your activities, look up the work of Marshall McLuhan as regards “hot media” and “cold media” (See https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/MIDDMedia/Hot_versus_cool_media for basic premise.) Balancing out your media intake with hot and cold activities keeps your brain active and pumping tasty neurotransmitters. 

3. LIMIT YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA USAGE TO SOCIAL PURPOSES. Infinite scrolling as found on many social media platforms is a hot medium, as per McLuhan. The reason Likes exist is to give that little spike of interactivity. It’s not a conspiracy to say many platforms are designed to keep you on them so they can show you more ads. (See also https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/04/has-dopamine-got-us-hooked-on-tech-facebook-apps-addiction which explains the brain chemistry angle) However, DM’s and other messaging faculties are supremely useful. Use them to interact with your friends, indulge your fandom theories. Person to person interaction requires and enhances deep-seated neurological and biophysical reflexes. Text your mates. Skype/Facetime or otherwise call them. Use the technology of the 21st century for genuine social ends, deliberately. Catch up with their lives one to one or in groupchats.

4. PICK TIMES TO CHECK THE NEWS AND STICK TO THEM. This relates to point 3 - unfortunately we live in a 24hr news cycle, with constant liveblogging of important issues. This means that we’re constantly streaming anxiety inducing situations into our brains JUST IN CASE. That’s not helpful, particularly when you can’t actually DO anything about those events - the urge to DO something is why people are panic-buying. It’s a very basic primordial need to grab resources for defence. By picking times of the day to check news, you are again, making a DELIBERATE CHOICE, enacting some small level of agency, while at the same time limiting anxiety-inducing stimuli. If the news gets too much, then don’t check it as much - or at all - and do something else.

5. IF YOU DO THINGS WITH FRIENDS, SEE IF YOU CAN DO THEM ONLINE. Run that game of DnD/Other TTRPG you’ve been meaning to. Hold your book club online. Have a few drinks online over voice-chat if you are missing the pub. Hold watch parties for your favourite shows. The key, as ever, is to be engaged rather than passive. It’s harder if you’re ill, yes, but it can be done.

6. USE YOUR IMAGINATION TO CREATE THINGS. Write that fanfic. Start that novel. Design that game. Doodle. Paint. Humans have been creating since the day we became human. Consider things from the perspective of a pre-modern person. Make handprints on your own personal cave wall - contact each other and tell spooky stories. Build a complex fantasy world. Write an account of your confinement for some person to find pieces of years after you’re gone from the world. Think about a problem, and learn how to solve it via taking online classes (See http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses) Write an essay on your chosen passion or hyperfixation - nobody needs to read it but you. Treat yourself to intellectual stimulation, if that’s your thing.

7. IF YOU HAVE A SPIRITUAL. RITUAL, OR MEDITATIVE PRACTICE DO IT. It doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect, or limited in scope. This also includes atheists and those who despise woo - you have personal rituals, things you do that have Meaning to you as a person. Maybe it;s alphabetizing your music collection, or spring cleaning or cooking your favourite meal like grandma used to make. Humans have patterns they perform. When you perform them DELIBERATIVELY (or dare I say MINDFULLY) you become aware that these are the scaffolds that structure human life.

8. STRUCTURE YOUR TIME. Following on from 7, we often don’t realise the structure of our lives until it is disrupted. When that’s removed, our minds can go into freefall. If you’re isolated/in lockdown, oftentimes you won’t be able to access those structures. Rather than wait for them to to become accessible again and risk a period of feeling lost and directionless, which can enhance depression and anxiety, it’s best to develop a new structure based on the resources you have. It can be as loose or as strict as you like, but sticking to it allows us to develop a rhythm which makes time pass in recognisable fashion and gives us a sense of being-in-the-world as some sort of engaged process.

9. KEEP YOUR SLEEP PATTERN REGULAR AND LONG ENOUGH.  The key here is REGULAR. Following on from 8, it’s important to keep your body well rested, as this aids your immune system and cuts down on the possibility of your body having to deal with stress . If you’re ill it’s harder to keep this regular, because sometimes your body just needs sleep to regenerate NOW. Equally in isolation, particularly if you’re feeling mentally low, it can be tempting to sleep forever, because y’know, you’re feeling low and what’s the point. (Of course the point is why we have 8 in particular, along with all the rest.)

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:42am
Work in an insurance office, we're in doing admin and dealing with stuff over the phones & email but the doors closed to customers
The Mrs is working from home since last week but trying to juggle that with minding 2 kids which isn't easy
Some people just deserve a slap
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:50am
Still in work. People who can work from home have been told they have to come in. We supply pharmaceutical companies so not really in a position to stop.
Not sure how I feel about them refusing to let people work from home though.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic