You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isolation/working from home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

This thread makes me very glad to be working for the public sector. Start at 8, log off at 4 and that's that.

Albeit even when I managed a small sales team, I was done at finishing time, used to get an awful sl*gging for it, life is too short to be wasting your free time on working. 

It depends if you like your job. I never understand people who hate their job and keep doing it year after year. 

You can also waste your free time not working. 

Fair point! I like my job I have to say but after 4pm is my time, although my work isn't so hectic I need to work after then, bar the odd emergency. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 8:40am
teams meetings is now a curse - meeting after meeting you get frig all done 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

teams meetings is now a curse - meeting after meeting you get frig all done 

I hear that. Jumping between calls and taking notes as you go, usually spend the last hour of my day writing up minutes I hosted throughout the day or  updating my to-do list Planner based on the notes I've taken. I have started blocking me calendar from 5-6 so I can use that time to recap the day. Worse is when someone uses the Time for a meeting anyway even though its blocked 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:46am
Lads complaining about having to work whether it’s from home or both home and office since this started, spare a thought for people that have not got that luxury 

Edited by daithi - 16 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:49am
I hope you all have a cappachewchew for me.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Lads complaining about having to work whether it’s from home or both home and office since this started, spare a thought for people that have not got that luxury 

Ah Daithi..... come on now. I dont think the lads are doing anything of that nature. 

It's simply comparing wfh against office work, nothing more. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Ah Daithi..... come on now. I dont think the lads are doing anything of that nature. 

Thats not how a lot of these posts are starting to read like tbh, but anyway count yourselves lucky lads regardless Thumbs Up
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:52am

There's more than a hint of self-importance about it though, which I feel Daithi picked up on as well.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:54am

Its been a major change as a result of the pandemic. I think people are just talking about the own experiences after a year, of something they haven't been accustomed to.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There's more than a hint of self-importance about it though, which I feel Daithi picked up on as well.

I must read back over them because that is not something i picked up on. 

Yuppy Boys in Green
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
Have to say I love working from home now, got 2 monitors sent out from the office and also collected a chair from the office last summer so have the perfect set up. No 3 hour round commute means more time to myself and getting up at close to 9 rather than 6.30/7am is great!

I did work one day a week for a couple of months last summer, feck all traffic and free spaces to park as everyone is out so drove in and enjoyed the commute, much nicer in a car than on a bus anyway!

I was in the job less than 3 months when all this sh*t kicked off so hadn't really had a chance to get to know people that well in the office outside of my own team and hadn't developed a close relationship with any of my colleagues like I had in my previous job so don't miss the social aspect of the office too much.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:05am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I must read back over them because that is not something i picked up on. 

Yuppy Boys in Green
I think it's just part of the modern mindset. Most people know, deep down, that  the jobs that they do are almost completely worthless, but they still need the validation that they aren't and thus feel the need to talk about it to get that validation.

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

This thread makes me very glad to be working for the public sector. Start at 8, log off at 4 and that's that.

Albeit even when I managed a small sales team, I was done at finishing time, used to get an awful sl*gging for it, life is too short to be wasting your free time on working. 
Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:09am

Yeah it’s the same as the mortgage / extension threads tbh.
Nobody is stating ‘look at me, I have a house’. 

Just posting what’s topical at the moment as there is nothing else to talk about.

Next week it will be all about the squad and how many goals will we beat Serbia and Luxembourg by. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:27am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What is killing me about WFH is that everyone else in my company is the same and it really makes a cumulative difference that a lot of people are still sending emails at half 6 and 7 at night whereas in the past they would be shutting down at half 5 and making the commute home. So even if you choose not to work late yourself the night before, you are still coming into a lot more emails the next day, which take time to answer and you only have enough hours in the day and it all builds up.

A lot more people working over the weekend too.

I would say the leaders in my company have probably got comfortable with the productivity they are getting from people during covid I wonder what it will be like when it goes back to normal. Will they have gotten so comfortable that they are expecting the same level of productivity that people are still feeling under pressure to put similar hours in too. 
I think it will be a tough transition back
I must say I like the flexible working. Get your 35 hours in whenever you want suits me. If there's a dry afternoon head out for a cycle then work late when it's raining. If you're ina  job that you can get on with your work yourself, I think that makes perfect sense. Take a morning off for a trip to the dentist or whatever, go to the gym before work and start at 10, then work a little later. I'm not for a second advocating working longer hours, just hours that suit you better.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 11:08am
I do think once some level of restrictions lift like being able to go out for lunch or a gym then the doom and gloom I am under will lift. This last lockdown and its slow burn has been just tough all round. 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Yeah it’s the same as the mortgage / extension threads tbh.
Nobody is stating ‘look at me, I have a house’. 

Just posting what’s topical at the moment as there is nothing else to talk about.

Next week it will be all about the squad and how many goals will we beat Serbia and Luxembourg by. 

Suppose it's a valid enough point. Have a good few friends in the Theatre industry that only wish they had my complaints! I get that I, with a few others, am speaking from position of privilege on this.
@AntrimMan85
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 11:35am
"Oh darling, don't for a moment think I am trying to come across as superior! Don't you know that some of my friends are in the arts! It's all so wonderfully bohemian."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic