You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.50%]
1 [2.50%]
4 [10.00%]
32 [80.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:28pm
The question is not whether Sterling will be as good as Messi or Ronaldo at 26, the question is whether he is as good at 19 as Messi and Ronaldo were at that age.

I would say he's currently at least around the same level Messi was at at 19 ie the 2006/07 season and ahead of where Ronaldo was at at 19 ie the calendar year of 2004.

Sponsored Links

Man from Del Monte View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man from Del Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:34pm
say yes
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The question is not whether Sterling will be as good as Messi or Ronaldo at 26, the question is whether he is as good at 19 as Messi and Ronaldo were at that age.

I would say he's currently at least around the same level Messi was at at 19 ie the 2006/07 season and ahead of where Ronaldo was at at 19 ie the calendar year of 2004.

Its very hypothetical. But I think Sterling can aspire to be world class, he is getting better all the time.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Man from Del Monte Man from Del Monte wrote:

this
stuffer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

What have you been smoking lad??
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:55pm
@LANDON....YES....yes i am. I am 7 BSM approved beers into it..

And i think u are too hip to be square...

Better question for ya....Rooney or Sterling at 19...who was better?..

Flip that question to the other mugs...... sorry Andy.. Rooney never fulfilled his supposed potential (world class) nor will Raheem 'The Queen' Sterling. .
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Man from Del Monte Man from Del Monte wrote:

Here mate, in the words of Neil Young, go and ride my llama!

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Flip that question to the other mugs...... sorry Andy.. Rooney never fulfilled his supposed potential (world class) nor will Raheem 'The Queen' Sterling. .
Here, mate. I've been predicting Liverpool to win the league since August and regularly predicting we'll win matches 5-0. 

Guess what, we're going to win the league and we're going to score 100 goals!

Mugs? LOL

Blow into your bag of wind!

Edited by sid waddell - 20 Apr 2014 at 6:59pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:06pm

That bit is worth highlighting, because it seems from the responses that people are reading LD's question as '' Is Sterling better than Ronaldo or Messi'' and responding to that, not the question he asked. 

He is better than Ronaldo was @ 19 (and that does not imply that he will turn out to be anywhere near as good as Ronaldo, just that he is better now than Ronaldo was at the same age, nothing more), Messi probably a harder comparison to make as his main skill is/was dribbling and close control, whereas both Sterling & Ronaldo, while having excellent dribbling ability at 19, are/were probably a shade less accomplished than Messi in that particular skill, but both of them have the searing pace that isn't part of Messi's game. 

For so many people to rubbish the question is alarming, either they didn't read the question in the first place, or they are looking at some other Raheem Sterling that I'm not aware of, but the one playing for Liverpool has been one of the best in the world in his position (and unlike Ronaldo @ 19, he has shown the maturity to play in more than one position successfully)  since Christmas. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:06pm

It is a close one. Rooney was a very good 19 year old, even better than Ronaldo. Looking at Sterling, I think he has a much higher football IQ than Rooney. Plus Rooney was quite physically developed for a 19 year old.
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:09pm
Bojan Krkic was also a fookin AWESOME 19 year old....Barca ranked him high and then he did a Rooney...i.e. was not that good
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm

Bojan Krkic was also a fookin AWESOME 19 year old....Barca ranked him high and then he did a Rooney...i.e. was not that good

But Rooney is good WB, I know what you probably mean in the sense that @ 19 Rooney looked better than maybe both Ronaldo or Messi, and has not quite managed to live up to those standards he once looked capable of every week (I'm thinking when I saw him get the hat trick V Fenerbache all those years ago, he looked THE best player in the world that night) but Rooneys head goes more often than Ronaldos or Messis, he is too easily frustrated, which is one of the reasons he is not at their level. 

I think most Liverpool fans would be happy if Sterling turned out to be as good as Rooney, but at the moment, the way Sterling is going, it seems there is a possibility he could be even better than that. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:26pm
@ deise....
1st...thank you
2nd...COP THE FOOK ON...sterling...Messi is way better..so is Selcuk Tidim...FACT
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:18pm
Top fishing by LD Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

f**k sake

now you realise how stupid everyone thinks you are when you post Thumbs Up
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Top fishing by LD Clap

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

That bit is worth highlighting, because it seems from the responses that people are reading LD's question as '' Is Sterling better than Ronaldo or Messi'' and responding to that, not the question he asked. 

He is better than Ronaldo was @ 19 (and that does not imply that he will turn out to be anywhere near as good as Ronaldo, just that he is better now than Ronaldo was at the same age, nothing more), Messi probably a harder comparison to make as his main skill is/was dribbling and close control, whereas both Sterling & Ronaldo, while having excellent dribbling ability at 19, are/were probably a shade less accomplished than Messi in that particular skill, but both of them have the searing pace that isn't part of Messi's game. 

For so many people to rubbish the question is alarming, either they didn't read the question in the first place, or they are looking at some other Raheem Sterling that I'm not aware of, but the one playing for Liverpool has been one of the best in the world in his position (and unlike Ronaldo @ 19, he has shown the maturity to play in more than one position successfully)  since Christmas. 

I really dont think people can mentally comprehend the question

Yeah, I think he may be superior to Ronaldo. People forget that a lot of questions hung over Ronaldo's actual potential until the 06-07 season. TBH when him and Rooney had their little World Cup spat, I would have probably chose Rooney if Fergie had to chuck one out.

Messi is a bit similar to Sterling but I actually think Sterling may have a better allround game compared to a 19 year old Messi.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 20 Apr 2014 at 11:42pm
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:28am
Rooney at every age > Sterling at any age
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic