You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Times atricle - MUST READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish Times atricle - MUST READ
    Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 4:11pm
Great stuff from Ken Early. West Dublin's resident rugby fanatic trAndy won't like this. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/soccer-feeling-like-unloved-child-in-tale-of-two-sports-1.2156535
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 4:21pm
enjoyed that article hugely. nothing against genuine rugby fans (i personally cant get into it at all) but the petulant responses to the article show up glory hunting 'fans' who have no idea what following sport is all about and have a ridiculously overestimated opinion of the rugger lads and their achievements
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

enjoyed that article hugely. nothing against genuine rugby fans (i personally cant get into it at all) but the petulant responses to the article show up glory hunting 'fans' who have no idea what following sport is all about and have a ridiculously overestimated opinion of the rugger lads and their achievements

You've hit the nail on the head.
danny10tot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny10tot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:21pm
Good read. Jesus some of the comments on that article would make you pull your hair out. 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:22pm
I just casually link this page to egg chasers comments Approve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodgate
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:42pm
RTE play a big part in the perceptions of teams. You'd never hear the rugby pundits say such nasty stuff about Irish rugby players. It wouldnt be tolerated by rugby fans.

The likes of Dunphy abuses the players for the cheap lolz. Football fans seem to tolerate and call the it entertainment.

The fans are also to blame. The football players get an awful lot of stick on here. You'd never see rugby fans sl*g of their own players like you do see here.

The 2 sports have a very different culture,
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:16pm
Loved the bit about the rugby "WORLD" cup.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:36pm
Quality piece that. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

RTE play a big part in the perceptions of teams. You'd never hear the rugby pundits say such nasty stuff about Irish rugby players. It wouldnt be tolerated by rugby fans.

The likes of Dunphy abuses the players for the cheap lolz. Football fans seem to tolerate and call the it entertainment.

The fans are also to blame. The football players get an awful lot of stick on here. You'd never see rugby fans sl*g of their own players like you do see here.

But would George Hook not have a degree of criticism towards the rugby players in the same regard to Dunphy albeit with the use of different language or punctuation?? 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Great stuff from Ken Early. West Dublin's resident rugby fanatic trAndy won't like this. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/soccer-feeling-like-unloved-child-in-tale-of-two-sports-1.2156535

f**k off.
I read the article earlier and I agree with a lot of it. He makes very valid points. The one that stood out the most is just how talented a footballer you need to be to be a mediocre one on the world stage.

Let's get this straight, I'm a republic of Ireland national football team supporter first and foremost. My love the the Irish football team trounces most other things I care for on this earth!
My points in the rugby thread where more about the how people begrudge the rugby team. But hey thats way we Irish fo best!

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Mar 2015 at 10:43pm
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

But would George Hook not have a degree of criticism towards the rugby players in the same regard to Dunphy albeit with the use of different language or punctuation?? 

No, he never goes after the players as people or attacks them on an individual basis. Hook and Dunphy is an easy comparison to make but they are extremely different in how they criticize.

depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:34am
There's also a huge middle class thing about rugby in Dublin, like it's cool if you're a rugby fan kinda thing. Pure bandwagon stuff the last few years. The abuse you get if you mention going to Ireland football matchs can be annoying to say the least .
As an Irish man I'm delighted we do well at rugby but I'd be the first to mention there are only 2 handfuls of decent teams.
I also think it's disgusting the lack of appreciation Robbie keane gets as a player. We will never see his like again.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:41am
1.2 million watched us lose to Croatia

Half that watched the game last week against Scotland.

Rugby country my hole
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 3:27am
m

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 29 Mar 2015 at 3:28am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

tis very rare that I agree with Sir Baldrick the Banner Bohemian , but on the subject of Rugby we are quare bedfellows...
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

m
apologies but my nerves are a bit frayed...ahead of the game
hooped View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 10:29am
First of all excellent article by ken, telling it how it is. Why are we even talking about this on a day like today is crazy. Fact what really gets the egg chasers is that their team will never have the same effect the football team gets for events like euro 88, italia 90 etc etc, it really really gets to them. As regards their team i have no time for them whatsover from the fans to the media its a disgrace, we have a true sporting legend in a true world sport in robbie keane but still all we get is nonsense about precious bod. As for their followers most a just celtic tiger types keen to attach themselves to the soulless corporate nonsense that is an irfu game, ever eager to be seen to be invloved in the latest in thing. Stuff them and their team and lets get behind the real boys in green, the peoples team. COME ON IRELAND!!!!
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:26am
Declan Lynch has a little pop at rugby today in the Independent.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/official-ireland-falls-in-love-with-rugby-31102551.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic