You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish team for first WCQ in March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish team for first WCQ in March
    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:30pm
Assuming everyone is fit and COVID free, what team would you like to see?
I would go with something like

Randolph
Doherty
Clark
Egan
Stevens

McCarthy
Hendricks
Brady

Connolly
Idah
Robinson

But can imagine Duffy will start ahead of Clark. Kelleher probably has a chance if he starts more games than Randolph between now and March, which is a possibility.
Apart from that Coleman, O'Shea and Knight pushing for places, and Molumby if he gets some game time.

Edited by SeanyL - 08 Dec 2020 at 12:30pm
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:38pm
I wouldn't play Idah or Clark.  

I would play browne or Knight in midfield as we need goals and pace there and a willingness to get into the box.  In fact I think I would play 

Connolly Robinson Knight  as the front 3 with Browne behind them. 

Then Molumby McCarthy/Hendrick   

With a back four of Doherty/Coleman  Oshea Egan Steven's

Kelleher/Randolph 
AKA pedantic kunt
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
Unless Randolph gets a good run of games between now and the start of the qualifiers no reason for him to get ahead of Kelleher even if Kelleher is back on the bench at Anfield IMO  

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I wouldn't play Idah or Clark.  

I would play browne or Knight in midfield as we need goals and pace there and a willingness to get into the box.  In fact I think I would play 

Connolly Robinson Knight  as the front 3 with Browne behind them. 

Then Molumby McCarthy/Hendrick   

With a back four of Doherty/Coleman  Oshea Egan Steven's

Kelleher/Randolph 

Browne is probably in with a chance of starting also.
Can Knight play in a front three ?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:44pm
Your starting team should really take into consideration the opposition.

Playing Portugal away from home, I don't see the likes of Hourihane, O'Dowda or Browne making an impact and I would replace them with defensively stronger players.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Randolph
Doherty
Clark
Egan
Stevens

McCarthy
Hendricks
Brady

Connolly
Idah
Robinson

But can imagine Duffy will start ahead of Clark. Kelleher probably has a chance if he starts more games than Randolph between now and March, which is a possibility.
Apart from that Coleman, O'Shea and Knight pushing for places, and Molumby if he gets some game time.
Who is this Hendricks player you are talking about? Maybe he is like McLean?
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Unless Randolph gets a good run of games between now and the start of the qualifiers no reason for him to get ahead of Kelleher even if Kelleher is back on the bench at Anfield IMO  
Agree.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Randolph
Doherty
Clark
Egan
Stevens

McCarthy
Hendricks
Brady

Connolly
Idah
Robinson

Who is this Hendricks player you are talking about? Maybe he is like McLean?

LOL

Dunphy has a lot to f**king answer for
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:07pm
 Think knight has loads of pace and he can get up and down the pitch and gets into the box.   I would play him on the right with a experienced full back behind him such as colean or Doherty.   Nobody has done anything on the right other than the odd bit from Robinson.   I think we do nee t make it more a 4 2 3 1 anyway so dont see it as a front 3.   I think the 3 behind Robinson could be conolly Browne and Knight with any 2 from McCarthy Culen Molumby and Hendick in front of the back four.   

I think O Shea should start ahead of Duffy and Kelleher ahead of Randolph and we would be better able to play the style Kenny wants 
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:19pm
Like I said on the other thread I think that we are actually seeing some small green shoots at club level with Kelleher, Cullen, O'Shea, Parrott and Collins, which if continued, gives food for thought. This will be a test for Kenny, and my concern is that the eight games (notwithstanding the covid intervention) could mean that he has a very clear idea for his team (including Duffy, Hourihane, Randolph) and that contemporary form might not sway him.

HB makes a good point that adjustments will need to be made for each game, depending on the opposition.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:23pm
one of the most important decisions he needs to get right is who plays up front through the middle.  For me it has to be Robinson as Idah is not up to it. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Like I said on the other thread I think that we are actually seeing some small green shoots at club level with Kelleher, Cullen, O'Shea, Parrott and Collins, which if continued, gives food for thought. This will be a test for Kenny, and my concern is that the eight games (notwithstanding the covid intervention) could mean that he has a very clear idea for his team (including Duffy, Hourihane, Randolph) and that contemporary form might not sway him.

HB makes a good point that adjustments will need to be made for each game, depending on the opposition.

I feel these players could have a big impact if qualifying was in 2022....  hopefully they all do well between now and March and force themselves into the team.

Not just these guys, we need a few other players to have a good run over the next few months.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I feel these players could have a big impact if qualifying was in 2022....  hopefully they all do well between now and March and force themselves into the team.

Not just these guys, we need a few other players to have a good run over the next few months.

And in many ways, I don't mind who has a good run, in order that by march things will be in good shape to approach qualification. As I've always said, what has given me heart is that our best performance over the 8 games was in the one that mattered against Slovakia, and the poorest one was in the game in which we had nothing, more than pride to play for. It suggests that Kenny does have sufficient nous to approach games against the likes of Serbia with a good and well thought out plan, in which we can create chances to win games, and concede little. In fact, apart from the covid issue, when we took on Slovakia we were not suffering from the same issues in relation to form and playing time as we were by November, or the boost prior to the September games of players making moves, and starting the season in their first team.

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm
Kelleher

Doherty (at a push. But is he frozen out at Spurs?)
O'Shea
Egan
Stevens

McCarthy
Molumby
Hendrick

Robinson
Connolly 
Brady
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:06pm
Doherty frozen out at spurs ?  

Simple fact is he got covid and missed the league matches and his return coincided with th4 Europa league and he has played there and Aurier has played in the league.   The Wednesday game coming up soon against Liverpool will tell us more but he is no where near frozen out. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:11pm
We'll be miles off come March but for the purposes of debate, here's who I'd start:

Kelleher
Coleman, Egan, O'Shea, Doherty
McCarthy, Cullen
Knight
Robinson, Parrott, Connolly

I know, some mad choices but am looking at this campaign as a platform for the next and feel this team is a potentially very strong one given maturity.

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Doherty frozen out at spurs ?  

Simple fact is he got covid and missed the league matches and his return coincided with th4 Europa league and he has played there and Aurier has played in the league.   The Wednesday game coming up soon against Liverpool will tell us more but he is no where near frozen out. 

Frozen out is dramatic but he is definitely 2nd choice for the big games. Being out with COVID has resulted in Aurier laying claim and being very good.

I hope the prospect of catching COVID on international duty and missing a couple of weeks doesnt put any players off joining the squad. We seem to have been very unlucky with it compared to the UK countries
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:26pm
                   Kelleher
Coleman Egan Clark Stephens
         Hendrick mcarthy
             Knight
Brady.                Connolly
           Robinson
Even though kelleher might not be ready for international football as the saying goes I think his passing is vital to the way we play. Coleman for experience and captaincy, Egan and Clark are our two best performing center backs at club level, enda is our only left back. 
Hendrick and Mccarthy as our holding midfielders (molumby if Mccarthy is not available again) Knight as our box to box player, he can run all day he may not be the most creative but can score and will not stop working I don't think we have a number 10 for this level so a player like Knight might be the answer. Brady on right for his dead ball ability and he probably is still our most creative player. Connolly on left for pace and Robinson up top, he's not ideal but idah and parrot are far from ready. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic