You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish property market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Whelo79 Whelo79 wrote:

There is a new development of houses and apartments going up beside where I live in North Dublin. The 160+ apartments are being sold as 1 lot to attract one of these investment funds to purchase it and every apartment will be put on the rental market. 

Scandalous carry on. I'm sure there are hundreds of people who would want to but one of these apartments and they won't get the chance. The government should not be slowing this your of carry on. 

I lived in a block like this, whats the harm? Brings lots of rentals to market at the same time which is great to relieve the market takes pressie off people looking for a spot for weeks or months. Lots on stream at once means rent won't be as high. 

I got a top spec apartment with little energy bills for not much more than the going rate for any old apartment. Was delighted with it. 

This could be a Waterford whispers article

“Irish mans delighted to pay ridiculous high Dublin rent as his energy bills are low in his new apparetment owned by Chinese company Ho Lee Fuch”
I have never read a post on an internet forum that has made me want to crawl inside myself and die; until now. I should point out, I occasionally read Stormfront , know your enemy and all that, but if this is the way people are thinking , I'm fully in favour of nuclear wipeout.

Why? My old gaf was a 150 year+ old dump off dorset st, why wouldn't I be happy to get a far superior gaf for not much more money in a better location? would you not be?

I've bought a gaf and had to rent over the last five years, found renting worse - much harder to get a place, there is a bad need for rental gafs at the minute and these schemes help with that.
Why is there a need for 'rental gafs'(sic)?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:28am
Because there's an under supply of places for people to rent...

Ask anyone who has tried to rent in Dublin last few years how hard it is to find a place, these schemes are helping with that pent-up demand. 

Yes, more places are needed to buy too but they're coming on stream at a much quicker rate than rental apartments, I've just moved into a new estate with 2,000+ units when finished including three apartment blocks nearly finished, drive 10 mins in any direction and there's multiple new estates with both houses and apartments, all to buy. Drive 25 mins in any direction and there's dozens of new estates, all to buy.

Again, would you not be happy to get a much better apartment than your old one for not much more money? Why exactly does that post bring out the need for a nuclear wipeout?

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:33am
Of course I would, I would hate my landlord just the same. It isn't the post that brings a need for nuclear wipeout(sic), it is the thought that property developers are 'helping' with the housing crisis in Dublin. Anybody who makes money off human beings existing and their need for housing is a parasite, they should not be held up as some sort of an example. That is what is wrong with society, the people who deserve the most praise rarely receive it.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:36am

Of course I would, I would hate my landlord just the same. It isn't the post that brings a need for nuclear wipeout(sic), it is the thought that property developers are 'helping' with the housing crisis in Dublin. Anybody who makes money off human beings existing and their need for housing is a parasite, they should not be held up as some sort of an example. That is what is wrong with society, the people who deserve the most praise rarely receive it.

Oh, I hated my landlord, they were awful for the most part, Don't think I held them up as an example either? But yes, I was delighted they provided me with a brand new apartment to high spec at a good cost.

At the same time, these units are badly needed and there's not too many people able to deliver them so catch 22. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:39am

Oh, I hated my landlord, they were awful for the most part, Don't think I held them up as an example either? But yes, I was delighted they provided me with a brand new apartment to high spec at a good cost.

At the same time, these units are badly needed and there's not too many people able to deliver them so catch 22. 
Fair enough. I took your post as praising landlords, who, as far as I am concerned, are the scum of the earth.
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:54am
The solution to our property crisis is a massive increase in social housing. Vienna, a far nicer city than Dublin in every regard, has much lower rent than Dublin because around 60% of Vienna's population live in social housing. Increased supply of housing will not decrease prices or rents if those supplying the housing intend to profit from it 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Padraig Padraig wrote:

The solution to our property crisis is a massive increase in social housing. Vienna, a far nicer city than Dublin in every regard, has much lower rent than Dublin because around 60% of Vienna's population live in social housing. Increased supply of housing will not decrease prices or rents if those supplying the housing intend to profit from it 

Is that figure correct? It's very interesting if so. What's the story there, you live in the apartment until you die and then it goes back to the state?

There's a bit of a stigma around social housing in Ireland.  
El Puto Amo
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Is that figure correct? It's very interesting if so. What's the story there, you live in the apartment until you die and then it goes back to the state?

It’s all very true. 
It just overtook Melbourne as the best city in the world to live in.

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:21am

That's what should happen here but the councils sold off a lot of social housing over the years.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:24am

Cheers. Practically speaking, how would something like this work in Ireland? Massive construction projects funded by the government/ taxpayer?

It amazes me how we were able to fund huge social housing projects around Dublin (Crumlin, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Cabra, Finglas etc) back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s when Ireland was an economic backwater but it’s not possible to do it these days despite a genuine housing crisis.

El Puto Amo
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:27am

Cheers. Practically speaking, how would something like this work in Ireland? Massive construction projects funded by the government/ taxpayer?

It amazes me how we were able to fund huge social housing projects around Dublin (Crumlin, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Cabra, Finglas etc) back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s when Ireland was an economic backwater but it’s not possible to do it these days despite a genuine housing crisis.

No profit out of it,it could be done but the powers that be would rather sell off council land to developers and let them build on it and threw in a small percentage of social/affortable housing.

There was massive housing crisis back then too MC,people were living in squalor .

Edited by rossieman - 17 Aug 2018 at 10:28am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:29am
Of course it could be done. There has been massive social regress in mentality in Ireland, Britain and the States in the post war period.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

No profit out of it,it could be done but the powers that be would rather sell off council land to developers and let them build on it and threw in a small percentage of social/affortable housing.

There was massive housing crisis back then too MC,people were living in squalor .

Ah yeah, I know all about the tenements. I just mean that Ireland hadn't a pot to piss in but was still able to build huge scale housing of great quality. Now, we present ourselves to the world as an ultra modern cosmopolitan society but yet the coffers are empty when it comes to providing the basics for the most vulnerable. 
El Puto Amo
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:46am

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Ah yeah, I know all about the tenements. I just mean that Ireland hadn't a pot to piss in but was still able to build huge scale housing of great quality. Now, we present ourselves to the world as an ultra modern cosmopolitan society but yet the coffers are empty when it comes to providing the basics for the most vulnerable. 

They dont want to do it is the main reason imo. 
Of course there will be a certain small amount of housing built but no real money generated if you are building social housing.Think about all the different people who make money when a private developer builds an estate/apartment block.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:53am
part of the reason rents are so high is that people who rent out property are hit with 48% tax, no that's not a typo it's 48% and the government are rubbing their hands.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

part of the reason rents are so high is that people who rent out property are hit with 48% tax, no that's not a typo it's 48% and the government are rubbing their hands.

Its at a person's marginal rate after expenses (including 80% of any interest on a loan) are deducted.

Big difference 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Its at a person's marginal rate after expenses (including 80% of any interest on a loan) are deducted.

Big difference 

This might be a stupid Q but please bear with me. I've never really understood this. 

Imagine a fella has two mortgages on houses, he rents one and lives in the other.

The one he rents has mortgage repayments of €1000 plus interest of €200 per month. He rents the gaff out for a) €1000 b) €1200 per month c) €2000 per month. What approx is he paying in tax in those situations?  

El Puto Amo
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:55am

I haven't an ounce of sympathy for people wealthy enough to own more properties than they can live in and attempt to profit off a basic human need.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
  Share Topic