You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish property market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 51>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 2:42pm
Anyone know the implications of buying a house where the Homebond has expired?

Will the bank still provide a mortgage without this?
GWAN YBIG
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

Yes. homebond or not, you will have to get it checked out anyway. Homebond only lasts for up to 10 years, if banks didn't give out mortgages based on it being expired, there'd be a hell of a lot less sales.

Edited by Sham157 - 11 Jul 2016 at 2:49pm
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

Yes. homebond or not, you will have to get it checked out anyway. Homebond only lasts for up to 10 years, if banks didn't give out mortgages based on it being expired, there'd be a hell of a lot less sales.

thanks Sham. So would I be taking a considerable risk in buying a property where this has expired or should I be covered in my home insurance for most defects, bar structural?
GWAN YBIG
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 2:59pm
Not at all, unless the place is a dilapidated shell. If it's still standing this long, it's alright. Homebond is only to cover against issues with the original build materials or actual construction f**k ups.  

The survey should highlight any sturctural defects, bar in the foundations as they would need to dig alongside the foundations to check that. If there are foundation issues, it will show above ground anyway. After that, the Insurance will cover the buildings.

Also, generally speaking, older houses, (70s, 80s ) are a hell of a lot better built than the sh*te they threw together during the boom.

Edited by Sham157 - 11 Jul 2016 at 3:02pm
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 3:36pm
Thanks Sham, much appreciated Thumbs Up
GWAN YBIG
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:55pm
Closing in on this sale, at long last, assuming we avoid any hiccups along the way. 

Went for another look at the house today and there is a nice amount of work to be done. 

The walls are fairly battered as it was rented for years. You can get a proper job done with re-plastering internal walls, yeah? Anyone know how expensive a job like that would cost for a 3 bed semi around 1100 sq ft? I know that's very general info! But I think it would make a great job of the house and give us a blank canvas.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:02pm
Generally a painter can sand and spot fill walls so may not need plastering. No idea how much plasterer would charge only that it's getting harder and harder to get tradesmen due to them being busy again.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Closing in on this sale, at long last, assuming we avoid any hiccups along the way. 

Went for another look at the house today and there is a nice amount of work to be done. 

The walls are fairly battered as it was rented for years. You can get a proper job done with re-plastering internal walls, yeah? Anyone know how expensive a job like that would cost for a 3 bed semi around 1100 sq ft? I know that's very general info! But I think it would make a great job of the house and give us a blank canvas.

Paid three or four hundred for three walls in one room.

Try tradesmen.ie and see roughly what they'd charge.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Good man SD .... I bet the 4th wall was covered in pictures of trains and maps of Europe and didn't need any attention
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Good man SD .... I bet the 4th wall was covered in pictures of trains and maps of Europe and didn't need any attention
LOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 3:19pm
There was a terrifying program on RTE 1 last night called 'Find me a home'.
1 part was following an estate agent showing a house in Kimmage. The asking price was €310k, and with all the bids it ended up going for €445k.
It's a scary thought trying to find something.
The dark side.. And the light
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:18pm
F**k that!

I thought properties were still going for within 10% of their asking prices. Little did I know.

I guess I'd better keep saving for another 20 years before buying a house.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:29pm
€445k for a gaff in Kimmage f**king hell. Between that and rent prices looks like I won't be moving out of the parents gaff anytime soon
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:42pm
One of the other houses on show was a house in Kiliney that the owner had died and left to the children. Asking price was €1.75m. That amount was offered and they were hoping for a few more bids, but didn't want 'to be too greedy' As if not being happy with €1.75m.

I'm currently paying €600 in rent and trying to save €700 a month, I'd actually be saving money by having a mortgage.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

I'm currently paying €600 in rent and trying to save €700 a month, I'd actually be saving money by having a mortgage.

I got my house last November and recently built a 32sqm kitchen extension.
I worked out that paying my mortgage & paying loan for extension was cheaper than the rent I had been paying for 3 years up until I bought.

Rental market in Dublin is scandalous
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:55pm
Anyone ever build a timber frame house ? Looking at this option at the moment. Once the concrete pad is laid then they can have a whole house up within 3 days with the roof battened and felted (not slated) . Technology very advanced for the processing and energy ratings .
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 4:06pm
Finally found a house and we've gone sale agreed.
Thing is it's a probate purchase as it was left to adult children in a will.
Anyone ever buy a house this way? A solicitor said that a probate sale could take up to 9 months, hope to god it won't take that long but apparently it is 'in the process' and hoping that a signed contract might speed up the process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 51>
  Share Topic