You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish property market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:05pm

This is very much of interest to me. I bought a three bedroom gaff with a mate at the end of 2010. It's getting towards time to sell and go our separate ways. My concern is buying the next gaff. I want to live Southside, nearish city centre but I won't be spending mega wonga. Are there nice 2+ beds going for reasonable money and not requiring much work meeting the above criteria? 

El Puto Amo
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:06pm
can you define mega wonga.
AKA pedantic kunt
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

can you define mega wonga.

Ideally less than €300k but could prob stretch to €350k for a 3 bed. 
El Puto Amo
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:29pm

there is ways and means such as massive taxes on Investment properties but this impacts the rental market then.

also who are forced to be landlords due to circumstances may not like paying massive taxes on 2nd properties.

i would be of the view that the housing market is too important to society to be just a market and that there are mechanisms such as tax that government can do to prevent bubbles but they are not vote winning. People in general do not vote for sustainable policies.

would a teenager vote for installation of a lagging jacket in a house over the purchase of an x box.

Exactly what I was thinking. After the domino effect the property crash had, you would think the government would do everything they can to prevent another
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

This is very much of interest to me. I bought a three bedroom gaff with a mate at the end of 2010. It's getting towards time to sell and go our separate ways. My concern is buying the next gaff. I want to live Southside, nearish city centre but I won't be spending mega wonga. Are there nice 2+ beds going for reasonable money and not requiring much work meeting the above criteria? 

Not really. Look on myhomne.ie and add an extra 10/20 percent to the asking. Then expect to be outbid.
It's a jungle right now
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Looking to buy myself soon.

I'm buying to live in and not to sell, so once my mortgage repayments are less than what I can afford then I don't really care about the price rising/lowering.

But you're right, it is a bit nuts at the moment, lot of people haven't bought in a few years and there are now too many people bidding on too few houses. Anything in turn key condition is going for way over the value, anything that needs a bit of work is much more attainable.

Where you looking?
Most likely Northside, Somewhere like Marino, Fairview, Raheney, Clontarf (I wish), Drumcondra. Also keeping my eye out for the Booterstown, Blackrock, Stillorglin, Kilmacud, Dundrum areas, but con't think I can justify the premium for living on the southside. 

Where are you looking yourself?
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:36pm
Anywhere on the sunny southside bar the more affluent areas
Walkinstown, Kimmage, Firhouse, Knocklyon, Crumlin.
Won't rule out the likes of Lucan, Citywest or even parts of Kildare.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 8:09pm

Yeah I know what you mean Ger. I was having a lot of frustrations viewing houses, bidding and then very quickly the bidding price going outside of our price range. Was starting to think of postponing for a year and see if anything happened with repossessions and more houses coming to the market to make things better for the buyer, but you just never know what is going to happen there.

I would echo advice of just keep looking and if you see a place you like bid but don't get too down if it doesn't work out, you will eventually find the place that will suit you and the missus and future arrivals.

Looking back now I can see I was desperate. One particular house I had convinced myself was the one for me. The advertised asking price was extremely low but it did need a lot of work as previous tenants had left it in bits (priced 16k just to get it livable with a builder relative). However it had great potential because of a massive back garden and this was swaying me. However the area it was in I would consider a step down from Belgard, kingswood or Kilnamanagh where we had set our hearts. I actually bid more than I should have done on the house but as said I had convinced myself it was the best I could get because the prices were going up already and I was thinking of the potential for extensions and man caves. Thankfully there was another bidder who also wanted it bad and brought the price up way too high for what it was worth in that area so I backed out.

Within a week or so of pulling out the house I bought was advertised and we acted quick and thankfully it worked out well and ended up getting the house in Kilnamanagh for the same price as I exited the bidding for the other house. Ok I don’t have a back garden big enough for a big extension and a man cave so the missus will just have to do without her kitchen come dining room Big smile

Edited by t_rAndy - 11 Mar 2014 at 8:12pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 8:58pm
Good advice Andy, think the key is to keep looking and not get down about it.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:07pm
Cousin has been outbid on four houses. It's like eBay bidding.
Do the sensible thing Ger and move DNS! We'll take ye in.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:20pm
No way in hell would I move over to that dump
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:31pm

Anywhere on the sunny southside bar the more affluent areas
Walkinstown, Kimmage, Firhouse, Knocklyon, Crumlin.
Won't rule out the likes of Lucan, Citywest or even parts of Kildare.

Clap
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:41pm

No way in hell would I move over to that dump

Says your man from Tallaght

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:50pm

Good advice Andy, think the key is to keep looking and not get down about it.

On the basis you are buying a house which you want to be your family home, ensure that the area has schools that you will be happy to send your kids too, that has no planning for anything that would cause you to want to move (halting site / shops etc)

Once you are happy that the area is going to allow you happily live there for 20/30 years then as long as you can comfortably afford the repayments go for it.

If you can possibly pay fortnightly rather than monthly you can significantly reduce the term of the mortgage.

Remember that you are going to most likely have serious increase in your living costs when GerK junior(s) arrives, so don't over stretch the mortgage repayments.

I know nothing :-)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 11:51pm
pay weekly if you can reduce your mortgage by a year or possibly 2. One of the best bits of advice my Da ever got. Free money.
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 7:00am

pay weekly if you can reduce your mortgage by a year or possibly 2. One of the best bits of advice my Da ever got. Free money.
How much is your mortgage Baldie if you don't mind me asking Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

baldrick is saving himself for that special mortgage
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

don't have one as i live in Dublin and i could not afford a mortgage in Dublin. Very hard also to save deposit and pay rent when rents are rising all the time. Don't have the option of moving home to save deposit.

How much is your mortgage.

Edited by Baldrick - 12 Mar 2014 at 8:10am
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>
  Share Topic