You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 199>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

And the difference In material terms is what?

It all amounts to keep the Shinners out. Until they can't.

If they had got enough seats they’d be in. The Shinners getting in would absolutely be more of the “same”. The change mantra is total rubbish.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Ryan getting Transport and effectively the old Environment brief is a huge coup. While Martin in Communications will make them extremely influential around the cabinet table. At first look, this justifies the decision to enter government. I am excited at the potentials here, and I’m delighted the Greens have entered Government. FF/FG participation was less in doubt and it will be interesting to see how they coexist. I’ll also be interested to see how coordinated Labour and the SDs will be in opposition, as I feel they will be generally singing off the same hymn sheet.

The Shinners have already embarrassed themselves over the Holohan thing, and the clown parties over the unnecessary and personalised fight they picked, with the judiciary.

Exciting times.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Ryan getting Transport and effectively the old Environment brief is a huge coup. While Martin in Communications will make them extremely influential around the cabinet table. At first look, this justifies the decision to enter government. I am excited at the potentials here, and I’m delighted the Greens have entered Government. FF/FG participation was less in doubt and it will be interesting to see how they coexist. I’ll also be interested to see how coordinated Labour and the SDs will be in opposition, as I feel they will be generally singing off the same hymn sheet.

The Shinners have already embarrassed themselves over the Holohan thing, and the clown parties over the unnecessary and personalised fight they picked, with the judiciary.

Exciting times.

Very true. It’s the dynamic between two age old enemies and a powerful European Green Party that’s most compelling.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:36pm
Since the Shinners ‘won’ the election, Leo and now Martin have been Taoiseach LOLLOLLOL
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 10:04pm
didn’t think I’d see those fiddling ****s back in government after they broke the country , f**king glad I’m not young this place is f**ked
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

didn’t think I’d see those fiddling ****s back in government after they broke the country , f**king glad I’m not young this place is f**ked
It's the equivalent of John Delaney making a return to the FAI in 10 years time!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:08pm
Exciting times though.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:15pm
The west of Ireland with no representation at cabinet and 1 senator from the Taoiseach's 11 Seanad nominations. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:27pm
The # mytaoiseach and #notmytaoiseach are doing the rounds. The first about people who are not Michael Martin, and the second about people who are Michael Martin.

I didn't know you could have a personal Taoiseach!

Edited by Het-field - 28 Jun 2020 at 3:28pm
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

The west of Ireland with no representation at cabinet and 1 senator from the Taoiseach's 11 Seanad nominations. 

Don’t see the issue with this, you pick the people you believe are best for the job not based on where they come from

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Don’t see the issue with this, you pick the people you believe are best for the job not based on where they come from

Let's be honest though, that's not how the cabinet is really picked, even if ideally should be the case. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:32pm

The # mytaoiseach and #notmytaoiseach are doing the rounds. The first about people who are not Michael Martin, and the second about people who are Michael Martin.

I didn't know you could have a personal Taoiseach!
Reach out and touch FFaith
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

The issue I would have is that if you have an entire region of the country with no representation at cabinet level it means that it is much less likely to get it's fair share of investment and attention from government. Even if one were going to be less cynical and say that the west of Ireland having no representation won't affect investment in the region, there is no member of cabinet who will understand the issues and needs of the region, what will work and what may not, to the same degree that someone from the region would. The fact that Calleary wasn't given a ministry is bizarre also. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:27pm
Wallsy, do you think that, for example, the minister for equality should only be somebody who has experienced inequality in some way?
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Wallsy, do you think that, for example, the minister for equality should only be somebody who has experienced inequality in some way?

Not necessarily, the whole point of such a ministry would be to promote equality as much as possible. Not being a victim of inequality doesn't mean that someone can't see blatant examples of inequality and address them or take advice from experts in the area for more subtle issues of inequality. It is not a valid comparison in my view, it's not as if there is a ministry for the west of Ireland. If you ignore an entire region of the country when forming a cabinet then almost certainly issues specific to that region aren't going to get the same attention to detail and certainly won't have a fair shot if there is a choice between a project on the east coast or a project on the west coast. The entire region has no voice at the center of power. If it's a case of the strictly the best person for the job, with no thought given given to gender, geographical or political considerations, then there is no need for our cabinet to be members of the Oireachtas at all, the Taoiseach should be able to choose the best person for the job who is willing to accept, like they do in the US. 

Edited by the_walls - 29 Jun 2020 at 10:15pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:28pm
Maybe I'm an idealist but I also think it shouldn't matter where somebody is from - If they are competent enough that should be able to balance the needs of rural and urban alike. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:08pm
In an ideal world that would be exactly how it should work but the world has never operated like that and never will. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:23pm
I can understand the frustration in relation to Calleary. In fairness to him, he was an exceptionally hard working member, particularly during a very difficult time for FF. He is also the Deputy Leader of the Party. He was elected in 2007, and was one of the handful that won their seat back in 2011, and has always been a frontbencher. The Chief Whip job is also likely to be difficult in this Government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 199>
  Share Topic