You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 199>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 7:55am

It could have been sooooooooooooooo much worse if Mary Lou decided to go topless in the park Dead

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:04am
if it was ANY Sinn Fein member the press would’ve been all over it, Fg Ff have the media in their back pockets, should have been a lot more made of it, he’s an entitled classless type though so nothing to see . Still and all, at least we’re not stuck with the tories, what a mess.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, the Leo thing is an absolute non story for the faux outraged.

i actually agree with the resident Tory boy for once Embarrassed
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:44am

I’ve seen barely any comment or criticism from other politicians. And the reason for that it is a non story. A total irrelevance.

Drinking alcohol is illegal. He didn't adhere to the social distancing rules he has been preaching about the last few months.

Is he now above the law?

Most other politicians wouldn't want to upset him as they want to get into government with him.

Considering he hides behind his PR team the whole time, this was a PR own goal.

You're actually raging that he's been criticized .
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:58am
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-leo-s-phoenix-pecs-just-a-storm-in-a-bag-of-cans-1.4263341

great article from Miriam Lord. Leo Clap

Edited by Yiksheemash - 27 May 2020 at 8:59am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It may be poor judgement given the situation, but still, that would be the height of it, and hardly worthy of comment. There are politicians out there who are never out of a suit and tie who are doing much worse things.

It’s not a scandal or anything. It’s just a bit cringe and he could have done without it for his own good, his popularity is hardly thriving.

His popularity seems to be at an all time high.. Did you see the latest Business post poll??

I’d be more concerned about that than what he got up to on his day off. If detractors focused on the issues rather than a non story we’d be much better off because he’s overseen a travesty the last 3 months

No didnt read the poll but most things I read on social media or hear from talking to people is they are not fans of him.
Many downright angry 

Ouch

If polls were done on social media or amongst a peer group you’d have had a very different political landscape LOL

Yeah but as we seen in last election,  the tide is changing and it's becoming much more influential.  The days of FG and FF getting in by default because of family and community voting lines are gone. Leo himself didnt score so highly for a returning taoiseach in the last election in his constituency. 
He got a little jump when he and his team made himself the face of the Covid response and came with his addresses to the nation and talking to the children to do as their mammys and daddy's say and sympathising with the grandparents who couldn't hug their grandchildren but now he will also be the face of the frustration over a slow return to normal and the economic hardship some will face. In addition, the government he and his FF cronies will form and the likely tax increase that will come to pay for covid.

All the while, SF will get stronger in opposition. 
The political landscape will change.  
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Everything is a non story when it comes to criticizing your beloved FG.

I don’t love FG. It’s just the most obvious example of a non story. Pound-Shop version of the Cummings issue. Nothing to see here.

Is it the expected behavior of a Taoiseach in a crisis, sitting in a field drinking cans with his top off.

it's the most manly thing he's ever done.....bar men.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:58am

I’ve seen barely any comment or criticism from other politicians. And the reason for that it is a non story. A total irrelevance.

Drinking alcohol is illegal. He didn't adhere to the social distancing rules he has been preaching about the last few months.

Is he now above the law?

Most other politicians wouldn't want to upset him as they want to get into government with him.

Good bit of nonsense in that. 

Most politicians (from all sides) haven’t criticised him because it’s a non story. The pictures showed respect for the rules, as verified by the CMO. It is not illegal to drink alcohol, nor is illegal to drink outdoors automatically illegal.

Not raging at all. And it’s easy not to rage over such a non story. 

Edited by Het-field - 27 May 2020 at 9:59am
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:03am
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:36am

In fairness, the Leo thing is an absolute non story for the faux outraged.

True. It's the kind of thing that those who already hate him will get their knickers in a twist over, whilst most others will accept that it's not much of a 'scoop'.

The most recent guidance states that up to four people not from the same household can meet up outdoors as long as they adhere to social distancing guidelines. The only person he appears close to in any of the photos is his partner. So far, so grand.

MLM did however raise the following point yesterday which is worthy to note:

Speaking to Radio Kerry today, Deputy McDonald says that leaders have a responsibility not to add confusion to existing rules being observed by the public:

"I did understand that the advice was not to have picnics. I know they are having picnics.

"I just take the general view that for the head of government, for anyone in elected office, y'know, you need to add clarity, and not confusion."

I think that's a fair enough comment. My understanding was that picnics were not advised as part of the Phase 1 guidance. Whilst I personally feel there isn't much of an issue with them (groups of four people meeting up outdoors were always likely to end up in picnic type scenarios) there is a valid argument to state that he is not strictly adhering to the guidance that was issued. Tony H defended him the other day by stating he was not in breach of any of the guidelines, so therefore people will be entitled to have picnics from now on.

Again it's not the huge story some of his detractors seem to desperately want it to be, but further clarity from NPHET around the guidelines would be helpful.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:41am

Is he now above the law?

Most politicians (from all sides) haven’t criticised him because it’s a non story. The pictures showed respect for the rules, as verified by the CMO. It is not illegal to drink alcohol, nor is illegal to drink outdoors automatically illegal.

Isn't it down to local by-laws? You could down where I am from, but if the cops asked you to stop you had to. You also couldn't loiter near where you bought it. In Cork and Limerick(I think) it wasn't allowed, but I don't think you could be arrested for it in itself; open to correction on that.
I used to do it a lot when visiting Galway and don't think there was an issue.

The laws on it over here are even more bizarre, mainly to stop football fans drinking. You can drink on the train, but not the tube. You can't drink on a public bus( that's just cross-company policy), but you can on a private bus; as long as that bus isn't going to where a football match is taking place. That's regardless of whether you are going to the match or not and you can be arrested for it. 

Anyway... regardless, it is a nothing story. There is plenty to question him about, but not this. I assume he was with his partner, respectful of others and keeping social distance. I haven't any time for him, but I doubt he is stupid enough to make himself an easy target. It is most likely he wanted to be seen to show that lockdown needn't be  about isolation and things will improve, and to try and be a ' man eh de peepul', or some such.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I don’t love FG. It’s just the most obvious example of a non story. Pound-Shop version of the Cummings issue. Nothing to see here.

Is it the expected behavior of a Taoiseach in a crisis, sitting in a field drinking cans with his top off.

What is a manly thing to do? Itch his bollocks in front of the television? Struggle with a washing machine? I suppose for Dubs it is a good battering of the wife.LOL
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:45am
LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Is he now above the law?

Isn't it down to local by-laws? You could down where I am from, but if the cops asked you to stop you had to. You also couldn't loiter near where you bought it. In Cork and Limerick(I think) it wasn't allowed, but I don't think you could be arrested for it in itself; open to correction on that.

The laws on it over here are even more bizarre, mainly to stop football fans drinking. You can drink on the train, but not the tube. You can't drink on a public bus( that's just cross-company policy), but you can on a private bus; as long as that bus isn't going to where a football match is taking place. That's regardless of whether you are going to the match or not and you can be arrested for it. 

Anyway... regardless, it is a nothing story. There is plenty to question him about, but not this. I assume he was with his partner, respectful of others and keeping social distance. I haven't any time for him, but I doubt he is stupid enough to make himself an easy target. It is most likely he wanted to be seen to show that lockdown needn't be  about isolation and things will improve, and to try and be a ' man eh de peepul', or some such.

You’re spot on regarding outdoor drinking. That’s why I said not automatically illegal. Local laws determine it. But a lot of international laws about open containers and such haven’t been implemented. I always got the vibe that in most cases, provided there is no public disturbance, you might be left in peace, save for local laws.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:09am

On a belting hot Summer Sunday afternoon a few years ago, a mate of mine was walking up O'Connell St on the way to Croker whilst sipping a can. He had a bag of them in tow. He saw a Garda on the path ahead of him and just to be on the safe side, he dropped his hand beside his hip to try and shield the tin from view. 
The Garda shouted at him "OI YOU!"
My mate stopped and looked over at him sheepishly "Yeah?"
"Is that can cold?"
"Eh yeah it is"
"Bastard" said the Garda and walked off. 

I still don't really understand the public drinking laws here. I live near the Grand canal and when the weather is decent, its banks are full of people gargling. Occasionally I see Gardai making them empty their open cans and move on but sometimes they aren't bothered. 
El Puto Amo
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:13am

What is a manly thing to do? Itch his bollocks in front of the television? Struggle with a washing machine? I suppose for Dubs it is a good battering of the wife.LOL

in the few months since I've been back visiting the forum occasionally I never knew you had an anti-Dublin outlook. But I suppose you need to comment on something to keep your post count up. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:23am

in the few months since I've been back visiting the forum occasionally I never knew you had an anti-Dublin outlook. But I suppose you need to comment on something to keep your post count up. 
And I never knew you had a homophobic outlook...

I comment where I feel like it. I couldn't give a f**k about post counts.Thumbs Up
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:30am

And I never knew you had a homophobic outlook...

I comment where I feel like it. I couldn't give a f**k about post counts.Thumbs Up
Well done on your post count of 41,000 PM  , like you said last week " i hope to get to 50,000 by next spring time " Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 199>
  Share Topic