You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 200>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:15am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://twitter.com/EmmaJaneDempsey/status/1232079353028251648

This is doing the rounds on Twitter.

Could you imagine if this was a SF Councillor?

So giving a reference for a paedophile is ok once it's titled "To whom it may concern".

Ok.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:52am
I can't for the life of me figure figure why there is any issue or backlash with SF holding public meetings? What issue could anyone possibly have with a political party engaging with the public?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:26am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure figure why there is any issue or backlash with SF holding public meetings? What issue could anyone possibly have with a political party engaging with the public?

People are afraid they are planning commemorations for the Black and Tans
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:40am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

It’s bizarre 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:51pm
If Sinn Fein get into power in a united Ireland they plan on sweetening the deal for unionists by offering them free health care in the form of free knee reconstruction
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:14pm
Just a thought: I imagine that the sucess of SF may, in part, be down to the obliteration of the power of the catholic church.Ireland needed a strong left leaning party since the foundation of the State, to correct the very clear social injustices.The c. church would, in days gone, have used fear on  a cowed people, to make sure that their FF/FG lackeys were kept in power and that godless Lefties were kept down.The priests are metaphorically f**ked, people can't be cowed by them into not wanting a fair society.The church  power has been gone years now, but their former lackeys created the perfect situation for people to look Left.No church to stop  them now
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:19pm
Sinn Fein are a populist party. They ain’t left.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:23pm
When you say "they ain't left" are you paraphrasing the Supreme Leader, " they haven't gone away"?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:24pm
They are not a left party.

And your thought isn’t original or unchartered.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:41pm
OooOooh!   Tetchy!    You're sounding like a man who is nervous
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Correct. One of my biggest concerns about them is their failure over the years to properly condemn the church. There may be an element of truth in the earlier post, but SF have always been afraid of being too critical of the one true church.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Correct. One of my biggest concerns about them is their failure over the years to properly condemn the church. There may be an element of truth in the earlier post, but SF have always been afraid of being too critical of the one true church.

Despite their fall from Grace in the south in NI they still hold a little sway especially in rural areas. It could alienate support up here. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 9:00pm

I would disagree. They would probably be centre left now. A centre left party with aspects of populist policies. If any party is a broad church, populist party it is Fianna Fail.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I would disagree. They would probably be centre left now. A centre left party with aspects of populist policies. If any party is a broad church, populist party it is Fianna Fail.

FF invented that style of populism It reminds me of how FFers won’t admit to being centre right or left, or accept where they fall on the dubious political spectrum.

But SF are on the way. The manifesto was proof positive of that. Like I’ve said, a legitimate left leaning manifesto would be significantly more robust in the area of tax increases in order to explain and manage the expenditure increases. SF went for the increase in expense, without cost to most taxpayers. And SF were never expected to explain it.

Even the issues that have arisen with members of the PP since the election, it shows how “broad church” SF is.

Edited by Het-field - 26 Feb 2020 at 10:29pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 1:08am

Given that their traditional heartland is a statelet that was wildly, institutionally and irredeemably discriminatory on a unapologetic, blatant, solely religious and sectarian basis, and that that statelet remains, by definition, institutionally sectarian, given the unavoidable result of a political reality featuring a governing structure of enforced coalition, you can't be too surprised that SF don't criticise the CC too frequently.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:48am
I think you should have said, "uncharted."    
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:49am
That's for Het_ field
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:51am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Given that their traditional heartland is a statelet that was wildly, institutionally and irredeemably discriminatory on a unapologetic, blatant, solely religious and sectarian basis, and that that statelet remains, by definition, institutionally sectarian, given the unavoidable result of a political reality featuring a governing structure of enforced coalition, you can't be too surprised that SF don't criticise the CC too frequently.
But that makes them self-serving rather than principled and very much part of the problem rather than the solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 200>
  Share Topic