You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 200>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'm not a veggie but I have to say I have gone right off red meat and have no real liking for it apart from burgers etc.  Never was a fan of steak or roast beef etc.  Lamb chops and beef you cut open and you can just see all the sticky fat marbled through it.  Fairly disgusting tbh.  I like chicken and sausages and stuff.
Same here, down to about 2 days a week where I'd have a meat meal. Oat Milk in the coffee too - far nicer.

Once ya get away from the mindset that a meal has to revolve around a piece of meat there's a lot more space on the plate for tasty stuff. I find chicken very bland (unless ya douce it in buffalo sauce or whatever)

Milk in coffee! No way!

I’m also down on the meat eating. It actually broadens the range of meals that you look for and you start finding good alternatives which are not meat substitutes.

The reality is though, veganism has the plausible acceptability of saving the, but the claim doesn’t make sense. Particularly when parts of the world simply cannot sustain growth of certain foodstuffs central to a vegan diet.

But they can sustain the growth of foodstuffs central to an omnivorous diet?

Growing crops to give to animals to then slaughter those animals to feed humans is always going to be more inefficient than simply growing crops for human consumption. The choice of crops is obviously an issue but there are no foodstuffs that are individually central to any vegan diet, or even any broad category of foods.

And on a completely unrelated point (not a reply to the post above) it is easy to reduce the size of the national herd: you simply stop breeding cattle for a while. As it is, there are roughly an equal number of calves born to cows slaughtered. If you stop breeding but keep slaughtering, the herd reduces. Vegans, the most militant aside, aren't suggesting a ban on slaughtering cattle and it is easy to reduce the size of the herd if you so wish. I'm not saying that it has any climate efficacy or not (I don't know the ins and outs of it) but to claim that it can't be done in a way acceptable to vegans seems to presuppose a vegan dictatorship.

This does seem to happen and be suggested a lot. Even a couple of comments here suggested that, using anecdotal evidence of some mad vegans from some time or another doing mad stuff.

Stop breeding for a while to reduce herd wont work. Cattle raised for beef usually slaughtered between 12-24 months depending on breed. So if you dont breed for 2 years then you have no beef. Older cattle not much good for anything but dogfood. If you want to reduce herd ya need to cull the older livestock. Also if ya didnt allow farmers breed cattle for beef for a while most would go bankrupt. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'm not a veggie but I have to say I have gone right off red meat and have no real liking for it apart from burgers etc.  Never was a fan of steak or roast beef etc.  Lamb chops and beef you cut open and you can just see all the sticky fat marbled through it.  Fairly disgusting tbh.  I like chicken and sausages and stuff.
Same here, down to about 2 days a week where I'd have a meat meal. Oat Milk in the coffee too - far nicer.

Once ya get away from the mindset that a meal has to revolve around a piece of meat there's a lot more space on the plate for tasty stuff. I find chicken very bland (unless ya douce it in buffalo sauce or whatever)

Milk in coffee! No way!

I’m also down on the meat eating. It actually broadens the range of meals that you look for and you start finding good alternatives which are not meat substitutes.

The reality is though, veganism has the plausible acceptability of saving the, but the claim doesn’t make sense. Particularly when parts of the world simply cannot sustain growth of certain foodstuffs central to a vegan diet.

But they can sustain the growth of foodstuffs central to an omnivorous diet?

Growing crops to give to animals to then slaughter those animals to feed humans is always going to be more inefficient than simply growing crops for human consumption. The choice of crops is obviously an issue but there are no foodstuffs that are individually central to any vegan diet, or even any broad category of foods.

And on a completely unrelated point (not a reply to the post above) it is easy to reduce the size of the national herd: you simply stop breeding cattle for a while. As it is, there are roughly an equal number of calves born to cows slaughtered. If you stop breeding but keep slaughtering, the herd reduces. Vegans, the most militant aside, aren't suggesting a ban on slaughtering cattle and it is easy to reduce the size of the herd if you so wish. I'm not saying that it has any climate efficacy or not (I don't know the ins and outs of it) but to claim that it can't be done in a way acceptable to vegans seems to presuppose a vegan dictatorship.

“If you stop breeding but keep slaughtering”. While that makes sense in reducing herd size I cannot imagine a single vegan accepting this as a alternative, and it would not be just the most militant. The most militant might like legislative action with harsh penalties, but unless you are look at it through the prism of “the greater good”, and become very pragmatic, no vegan would agree with this as a workaround as it involves the killingnof live animals for consumption. Banning it may not be on their radar, stopping it would be. As such, I think it would be too contradictory to be palatable for vegans in general. I suspect ethical vegetarians would also bristle at the thought.

Also, I am not presupposing a vegan dictatorship. A legislature with a democratic mandate could seek to implement a strategy to reduce the national herd. However, there are serious practical impediments to such a way. PDC has alluded to this in his post. There are three potential ways to implement this as I see it. First, a tacit agreement with cattle farmers. That just won’t work for obvious reasons. Second an agreement with incentives, which essentially would require largescale remuneration packages to disincentive breeding. Again, this is expensive and unlikely to work. Third, legislative action, which wouldn’t find sufficient favour in ritual communities (at this juncture), and could lead to instability.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:04pm
Realise we've gone off on an awful tangent here, but have people seen Game Changers movie on NEtflix?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:09pm

Realise we've gone off on an awful tangent here, but have people seen Game Changers movie on NEtflix?
I tried, it is so poorly made. I watched one and had a burger.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 6:09pm

Yeah, thought it was interesting, the amount of research he did for it was incredible. Couple of interviews on YouTube with him about it 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 6:16pm

Yeah, thought it was interesting, the amount of research he did for it was incredible. Couple of interviews on YouTube with him about it 
Most of it has been debunked. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 6:55pm
Any link? 

Edited by MayoMark - 29 Jan 2020 at 6:55pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:05pm

Any link? 
I occasionally listen to Joe Rogan’s podcast,he had one devoted to it with a guy who certainly talked a good game. It wasn’t dismissive of veganism, merely dismissive of the documentary. Chris something was his name. I’m sure it is easy to find as his podcast seems very popular, I can see why too. His one with Billy Corgan, which is how I came across it, is brilliant.
There are loads of others who are into nutrition, and veganism, who have expressed scepticism.

Edited by pre Madonna - 29 Jan 2020 at 7:06pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:07pm
A thread about Irish politics leads to Billy Corgan and veganism! YBIG Clap
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Any link? 
I occasionally listen to Joe Rogan’s podcast,he had one devoted to it with a guy who certainly talked a good game. It wasn’t dismissive of veganism, merely dismissive of the documentary. Chris something was his name. I’m sure it is easy to find as his podcast seems very popular, I can see why too. His one with Billy Corgan, which is how I came across it, is brilliant.
There are loads of others who are into nutrition, and veganism, who have expressed scepticism.

Joe rogan podcast is excellent. The guy who mad the documentary however was invited onto the show with Joe and Chris Kesser. 

It's worth a watch, because Kesser's "debunking" is absolutely torn to shreds. It's relentless. Well worth a watch 
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:17pm

Most of it has been debunked. 

Been discredited by some vegan groups even. A lot of research maybe the research had a psuedoscientific basis than a scientific basis.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:27pm
Any of the articles I read debunking it were by vegans. I was sceptical because it didn’t add up. It was so badly made, o am amazed it has had so much success! 

I only heard the debunking and not the other side. I’m willing to listen.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm

Any of the articles I read debunking it were by vegans. I was sceptical because it didn’t add up. It was so badly made, o am amazed it has had so much success! 

I only heard the debunking and not the other side. I’m willing to listen.
If ya make anything slick and well put together, you can make anything a success.

I liked the movie, I've given up meant most days for taste reasons as much as anything. If it makes me any healthier or better for the environment so be it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 5:43am

Any link? 

Chris Kresser debated with Wilks on the podcast. Kresser hardly covered himself in glory on it. Admitted that he had made some stuff up in his "research". Wilks was like a baby on it though, a very irritating character.

This is worth reading for a true debunking of the movie;

The author, Layne Norton, has been trying to get Wilks to go back on Rogan with him to debate this, but doesn't seem keen. 

Edited by The Huntacha - 30 Jan 2020 at 5:47am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:28am
Just over a week until polling day.

There doesn’t seem to be much of a shift from the initial predicted outcome, so I’m still expecting a FF led Government. It really just depends with who.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:54am
Looks like FF alright. I can't believe that in less than 10 years, our country has forgotten about all the corruption, and the sh*te they left us in.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Looks like FF alright. I can't believe that in less than 10 years, our country has forgotten about all the corruption, and the sh*te they left us in.

Corruption, criminality, abhorrent, backward views and incompetence seem to be surefire vote winners pretty much everywhere these days.

I guess we should be thankful that by international standards, our primary purveyors of it, Fianna Fail, are a pale imitation of what's happening in the US, the UK, Russia, Israel, Turkey, Brazil, Hungary, Poland, Australia etc. 

Very small mercies.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:39am
The far left are trying to stir the pot amongst the centre left, the Shinners and the Greens. They’re trying raise the issue of possible coalitions, which of course they would never involve themselves in (cause that would mean being responsible for more than a megaphone and placards on sticks).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 200>
  Share Topic