You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 199>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:31pm
I remember reading an article about vegan parents raising their kids, and some of it involved not accessing materials which normalised zoos. Which much have made bedtime reading very limited indeed.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'm not a veggie but I have to say I have gone right off red meat and have no real liking for it apart from burgers etc.  Never was a fan of steak or roast beef etc.  Lamb chops and beef you cut open and you can just see all the sticky fat marbled through it.  Fairly disgusting tbh.  I like chicken and sausages and stuff.

I'm becoming more conscious of the whole vegan thing by the week. That's not to say i would ever go the full hog because, frankly i find the whole thing ridiculous. It's an incredibly strict lifestyle but i am trying to eat less red meat. 

When you're walking down the aisles in Lidl and theres 10 frozen whole geese in the freezer cabinet Dead of which 5 will probably be chucked rendering their whole short life useless Dead.

My niece said the other day that she is gone off chicken because it name checks the animal. We dont sit and eat "pig or cow". 

Slight tangent LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I remember reading an article about vegan parents raising their kids, and some of it involved not accessing materials which normalised zoos. Which much have made bedtime reading very limited indeed.
The cauliflower who came for tea? 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I'm not a veggie but I have to say I have gone right off red meat and have no real liking for it apart from burgers etc.  Never was a fan of steak or roast beef etc.  Lamb chops and beef you cut open and you can just see all the sticky fat marbled through it.  Fairly disgusting tbh.  I like chicken and sausages and stuff.

I'm becoming more conscious of the whole vegan thing by the week. That's not to say i would ever go the full hog because, frankly i find the whole thing ridiculous. It's an incredibly strict lifestyle but i am trying to eat less red meat. 

When you're walking down the aisles in Lidl and theres 10 frozen whole geese in the freezer cabinet Dead of which 5 will probably be chucked rendering their whole short life useless Dead.

My niece said the other day that she is gone off chicken because it name checks the animal. We dont sit and eat "pig or cow". 

Slight tangent LOL

I've just eaten Peggy.  She was a free range chicken struck down in the prime of life.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:51pm
Constituency poll in Galway West:

Naughton (FG) 13% O’Cuiv (FF) 12% O’Tuathail (SD) 12% O’Reilly (GRN) 10% Kyne (FG) 10% Connolly (IND) 9% Crowe (FF) 8% Grealish (IND) 7% Farrell (SF) 7% McNelis (LAB) 5% Cubbard (IND) 3%

A tale of two Grealishses

Jack is a wonderful footballer

But I would love it, love it if that racist **** Noel lost his seat

It would honreal if Galway West could return three left seats, even two would be good given that it has always been a 4-1 right-left split, hopefully Catherine Connolly hangs on
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:12pm
Backed O Tuathaill in Galway West yesterday @14/1 he’s in to 7/4 now 

Edited by 9fingers - 28 Jan 2020 at 11:12pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:19am

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

The Green party have no hope outside of Dublin after Eamon Ryan said cattle needed to be reduced by 50%.

It’s why the “veganism” saves the planet mantra makes no sense. How do you engineer the reduction of cattle in a way that accords with the vegan lifestyle? Also, even if consumption is reduced the vegan lifestyle would require not milking them (which has its major benefits), and that wouldn’t even make a noticeable dent in the creation of methane which is a greenhouse gas.

I think the more the Greens talk in granular detail during this election the more likely they are to make small increases, but in very localised areas.

Spot on. The percentage of greenhouses gases emitted by cows, etc is over-emphasised, with half of the figures given often include gases emitted from the industrial production of the animal feed, not the animals themselves. 

Even without livestock industries, these emissions would still exist as they would come from producing more plant based protein for us instead of animal feed.

It's the process that's the problem, not the animal, which vegans seem reluctant to admit.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:54am

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Slight tangent LOL

I've just eaten Peggy.  She was a free range chicken struck down in the prime of life.

must have been an enjoyable 60 days of life!!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:02am

Same here, down to about 2 days a week where I'd have a meat meal. Oat Milk in the coffee too - far nicer.

Once ya get away from the mindset that a meal has to revolve around a piece of meat there's a lot more space on the plate for tasty stuff. I find chicken very bland (unless ya douce it in buffalo sauce or whatever)
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

The Green party have no hope outside of Dublin after Eamon Ryan said cattle needed to be reduced by 50%.

It’s why the “veganism” saves the planet mantra makes no sense. How do you engineer the reduction of cattle in a way that accords with the vegan lifestyle? Also, even if consumption is reduced the vegan lifestyle would require not milking them (which has its major benefits), and that wouldn’t even make a noticeable dent in the creation of methane which is a greenhouse gas.

I think the more the Greens talk in granular detail during this election the more likely they are to make small increases, but in very localised areas.

Spot on. The percentage of greenhouses gases emitted by cows, etc is over-emphasised, with half of the figures given often include gases emitted from the industrial production of the animal feed, not the animals themselves. 
Most of the CO2 effect of cows isn't their emissions (cows farts got the headline), but rather the amount of trees etc that we'd still have in the country if most of the country wasn't made into fields
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:04am
Oat milk is disgusting! Not fit for human consumption.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Same here, down to about 2 days a week where I'd have a meat meal. Oat Milk in the coffee too - far nicer.

Once ya get away from the mindset that a meal has to revolve around a piece of meat there's a lot more space on the plate for tasty stuff. I find chicken very bland (unless ya douce it in buffalo sauce or whatever)

A steak meal?
Guaranteed. Wanna put that on ya floppy disk or what?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:00am

Milk in coffee! No way!

I’m also down on the meat eating. It actually broadens the range of meals that you look for and you start finding good alternatives which are not meat substitutes.

The reality is though, veganism has the plausible acceptability of saving the, but the claim doesn’t make sense. Particularly when parts of the world simply cannot sustain growth of certain foodstuffs central to a vegan diet.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:03am
It's the methane from cows that is dangerous, not necessarily C02. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:54am

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm

Milk in coffee! No way!

I’m also down on the meat eating. It actually broadens the range of meals that you look for and you start finding good alternatives which are not meat substitutes.

The reality is though, veganism has the plausible acceptability of saving the, but the claim doesn’t make sense. Particularly when parts of the world simply cannot sustain growth of certain foodstuffs central to a vegan diet.

But they can sustain the growth of foodstuffs central to an omnivorous diet?

Growing crops to give to animals to then slaughter those animals to feed humans is always going to be more inefficient than simply growing crops for human consumption. The choice of crops is obviously an issue but there are no foodstuffs that are individually central to any vegan diet, or even any broad category of foods.

And on a completely unrelated point (not a reply to the post above) it is easy to reduce the size of the national herd: you simply stop breeding cattle for a while. As it is, there are roughly an equal number of calves born to cows slaughtered. If you stop breeding but keep slaughtering, the herd reduces. Vegans, the most militant aside, aren't suggesting a ban on slaughtering cattle and it is easy to reduce the size of the herd if you so wish. I'm not saying that it has any climate efficacy or not (I don't know the ins and outs of it) but to claim that it can't be done in a way acceptable to vegans seems to presuppose a vegan dictatorship.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Milk in coffee! No way!

But they can sustain the growth of foodstuffs central to an omnivorous diet?

Growing crops to give to animals to then slaughter those animals to feed humans is always going to be more inefficient than simply growing crops for human consumption. The choice of crops is obviously an issue but there are no foodstuffs that are individually central to any vegan diet, or even any broad category of foods.

And on a completely unrelated point (not a reply to the post above) it is easy to reduce the size of the national herd: you simply stop breeding cattle for a while. As it is, there are roughly an equal number of calves born to cows slaughtered. If you stop breeding but keep slaughtering, the herd reduces. Vegans, the most militant aside, aren't suggesting a ban on slaughtering cattle and it is easy to reduce the size of the herd if you so wish. I'm not saying that it has any climate efficacy or not (I don't know the ins and outs of it) but to claim that it can't be done in a way acceptable to vegans seems to presuppose a vegan dictatorship.

This does seem to happen and be suggested a lot. Even a couple of comments here suggested that, using anecdotal evidence of some mad vegans from some time or another doing mad stuff.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Backed O Tuathaill in Galway West yesterday @14/1 he’s in to 7/4 now 
4/6 now Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 199>
  Share Topic