You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 200>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 7:45am
Varadkar won his seat back with ease in 2020. There was some weird Trumpian-esque narrative about the count on which he was returned, as though it somehow made the result left valid.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Just seen the video, certainly getting stuck in.

Only a scumbag would take photos or video someone in a club shifting someone and post it on the interment wouldn’t they sham 😉
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Varadkar won his seat back with ease in 2020. There was some weird Trumpian-esque narrative about the count on which he was returned, as though it somehow made the result left valid.

It was valid but its clear he isn't as popular of choice amongst the people including in his own constituency.
Can only imagine that could get worse especially as he continues to 'put his foot in it' when it comes to bad press. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:52am

It was embarrassing for him and even more so as the outgoing Taoiseach as he didn’t even reach the quota and didn’t get elected till something like the 7th count and possibly the last seat.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 9:26am
Maybe embarrassing, but generally irrelevant in terms of the outcome. Winning the final seat, or sneaking in on a small number of transfers doesn’t really make for a talking point in terms of the mandate.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 9:55am

Maybe embarrassing, but generally irrelevant in terms of the outcome. Winning the final seat, or sneaking in on a small number of transfers doesn’t really make for a talking point in terms of the mandate.
Just shows how he was an unelected Taoiseach and wasn’t really popular even in his own constituency. Bertie Ahern for example in one election was able to get his running mate Cyprian Brady elected on his surplus of transfers.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:04am
Taoiseach is nominated by Dáil Éireann. Provided you are elected
in your constituency, and you have the nomination of the Dail you have the mandate.

The fact that Leo didn’t romp home is pass remarkable at best. But it has undoubtedly been used as a wider narrative about the mandate of the current government.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:22am

Taoiseach is nominated by Dáil Éireann. Provided you are elected
in your constituency, and you have the nomination of the Dail you have the mandate.

The fact that Leo didn’t romp home is pass remarkable at best. But it has undoubtedly been used as a wider narrative about the mandate of the current government.
The FG party made him leader and then Taoiseach.He didn’t win an election as Taoiseach that was Enda Kenny. Of course it will be used against him as normally a Taoiseach gets re-elected reasonably quick and shows the way leads from the the front.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:36am
But nobody ‘won’ the election. The results were so diluted that coalition was an absolute certainty.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:47am

But nobody ‘won’ the election. The results were so diluted that coalition was an absolute certainty.
How do you see the next election going? Surely a new leader for FF soon?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

I think the SF surge is inevitable. How they manage constituencies is key, especially where more than one seat is available. I think they’ll generally pick off the SD and PBP seats, and will take a share from FF/FG. They’ll hold all the aces for being the majority party in a coalition. FF’s preference for power would probably make that a potential relationship. But you’re right on the leader. I think that is going to change.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Just seen the video, certainly getting stuck in.

Only a scumbag would take photos or video someone in a club shifting someone and post it on the interment wouldn’t they sham 😉
I remember one time, a really sound upstanding person did it after the group he was with was so shocked when one of that group managed to get a round of tonsil tennis in that evidence had to be publicised for the greater good. It was a truly watershed moment in that persons life too as he only went from strength to strength, he found himself a wife, he then set out to make for her a life, has kids, a home…Clap 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 11:00am

I think the SF surge is inevitable. How they manage constituencies is key, especially where more than one seat is available. I think they’ll generally pick off the SD and PBP seats, and will take a share from FF/FG. They’ll hold all the aces for being the majority party in a coalition. FF’s preference for power would probably make that a potential relationship. But you’re right on the leader. I think that is going to change.

I wouldn't be so sure - SF aren't really a left leaning party and there will be people who want to vote left. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure - SF aren't really a left leaning party and there will be people who want to vote left. 

The SD’s (particularly their online supporters) seem naive enough to think the opposition are working as one and are ‘in this together.’ PBP are a little more cynical, but side with the broader opposition. SF will ultimately become another FF/FG, which will be a pragmatic, centrist, ‘case by case’ party, and their success will be breaking into the hegemony.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 11:46am

I don’t see many appealing options but the SD’s seem the best for me. 
El Puto Amo
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 12:58pm
Strange how he hasn't come out with a statement yet, particularly given how heavily he uses PR firms.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I don’t see many appealing options but the SD’s seem the best for me. 

On paper, the SD’s have a good product. A pragmatic, thorn-in-the-side left leaning party. Instead they have gradually  just become the middle ground between SF/LAB/GP and PBP. They like social media, lean in to the ‘Ireland is a Kip’ mantra, and I think have little interest in entering government.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Strange how he hasn't come out with a statement yet, particularly given how heavily he uses PR firms.

Wouldn't think so, not seen it in any newspaper, releasing a statement puts it front page news in all. At the minute the vast majority of voters will have no idea about this video. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 200>
  Share Topic