You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 200>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Southstandman Southstandman wrote:

Helen Mc Entee on her feet in the Dail now telling all  and sundry why herself /finne geal/fail can treat the country like gobsh*tes . 
Would it be because “all and sundry” cant spell Fíne Gael/Fíanna Fail correctly?

cant ????
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Helen Mc Entee on her feet in the Dail now telling all  and sundry why herself /finne geal/fail can treat the country like gobsh*tes . 
Would it be because “all and sundry” cant spell Fíne Gael/Fíanna Fail correctly?

cant ????
knew it would backfire LOL one ? would suffice though.
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm

Doubt it . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 2:06pm
Are people seriously trying to make out that Brian Stanley is a homophobe and a racist based on that tweet and radio interview?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:28pm
I found it amusing that the word "Tory" was used.

It has really become a feature of Irish politics that unless you are Shinner, a SD, or part of the jokeshop left you are a Tory, or at best a FGer "on a bike".
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I found it amusing that the word "Tory" was used.

It has really become a feature of Irish politics that unless you are Shinner, a SD, or part of the jokeshop left you are a Tory, or at best a FGer "on a bike".
You didn't address the point

What about what Stanley said was homophobic and/or racist?

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Sid, I don't have to address your point, nor can an inference be drawn from me not addressing it. I commented on what my take away was, namely the use of the term Tory.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:51pm

Sid, I don't have to address your point, nor can an inference be drawn from me not addressing it. I commented on what my take away was, namely the use of the term Tory.
Why don't you address it? 

Allegations that somebody is homophobic and racist are a hell of lot more serious than calling somebody a Tory 

These allegations would seem to me to be baseless, in which case they would be a character assassination

Yet Simon Harris was running with such allegations

I don't think that's acceptable behaviour for a government minister

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm
Fine, I'll address it. No, I don't think the tweet has even the slightest hint of either racism or homophobia. None at all.

But the "Tory" point interests me. Its drawing a parallel with a particularly nasty political party, which engenders probably the most visceral hatred of any party in the west amongst the voters. There are people out there whose entire being is encapsulated in hating the Tories. It is unfair to draw that comparison with FF or FG, and it is becoming more and more prevalent on social media, and it seems to be an almost acceptable slur, even when it makes an obvious association with some of the Tory's nastiest actions, or indeed to condone or support them. Its why I get a bit frustrated on here when it is used in my direction.

Edited by Het-field - 04 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 4:08pm

Fine, I'll address it. No, I don't think the tweet has even the slightest hint of either racism or homophobia. None at all.

But the "Tory" point interests me. Its drawing a parallel with a particularly nasty political party, which engenders probably the most visceral hatred of any party in the west amongst the voters. There are people out there whose entire being is encapsulated in hating the Tories. It is unfair to draw that comparison with FF or FG, and it is becoming more and more prevalent on social media, and it seems to be an almost acceptable slur, even when it makes an obvious association with some of the Tory's nastiest actions, or indeed to condone or support them. Its why I get a bit frustrated on here when it is used in my direction.
Fine 

Neither do I think what Stanley wrote or said contained any hint of homophobia or racism

I think what he wrote last week about Warrenpoint was pure eejitry and I don't think he's very bright

But the baseless allegations of homophobia and racism against him are really low stuff

I think it's really poor behaviour on the part of a government minister to do such and Fine Gael have been engaging in quite a lot of this sort of pathetic mudslinging recently

Sinn Fein are quite capable of it themselves obviously

You may think that calling somebody a Tory is an unfair insult but there is a genuine belief among a lot of people that Fine Gael are the Irish version of the Tories, like, I mean who else would be

I would pretty much hold that view myself

I do not think they are as extreme because they wouldn't get away with it - because Ireland as a society lies to the left of England - but there are plenty within FG who have some strong elements of Toryism and particularly Tory style rhetoric in their make up - and they're showing it at the moment

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 4:26pm
There may be a view that there are similarities, but I think when you get down to it, the Tories and FGers are at very best (or worst) on a broad spectrum with each other, but little else binds them together, and as such I think it unfair to group the two together. Like I said, the Tories are a particularly nasty and hated party. There are entire parts of the UK where the word "Tory" is met with hatred and disgust. The Tory's also have a long history of living up to the title of the "Nasty Party", and that includes issues with Ireland.

And that is why I feel that the use of the term "Tory" in Ireland, as an insult comes with at least a subconscious Anglo-criticism baked in. And as such, it brings with it some of the old ill-feeling between Ireland and England. So rather than drawing parallels with the US Republican, or other European Christian Democratic parties, it has a greater bite to it, and political advantage if you can club the likes of FG with the Tory Party. But the fact, that it has that, at least subconscious bias to it, I feel it is more pernicious than perhaps people give it credit for.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:15pm
Paul Clarkson former editor of The British Sun appointed by Martin as his new chief Spokesperson! Speaks volumes.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:35pm
Sigh...here we go again with the Tories.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Paul Clarkson former editor of The British Sun appointed by Martin as his new chief Spokesperson! Speaks volumes.
He was the editor of the Irish Sun but that's hardly much better
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

He was the editor of the Irish Sun but that's hardly much better

Apologies! Ex-managing Editor of the British Sun.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Sigh...here we go again with the Tories.

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 9:49am
see the bold Leo at it again,moaning about the polarisation of Irish politics because of the proliferation of social media and all the mudslinging thereon.
You couldn’t make this sh*t up, this fella is the most self serving divisive politician in the dail, he’s on social media constantly carping away like trump, surrounded by his advisors and backslappers,totally out of touch.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 200>
  Share Topic