You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 177>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 4:23pm
LOL
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Would joining the commonwealth be the worst thing if it kept the unionists happy? (In the event of a United ireland).

Other countries have joined it without having been part of the British empire or recognising the King/Queen as Head of state.

If the USA joined it, for example, would we even feel out of the loop not being in it?

LOL G'wan outta that!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 4:16pm
Would joining the commonwealth be the worst thing if it kept the unionists happy? (In the event of a United ireland).

Other countries have joined it without having been part of the British empire or recognising the King/Queen as Head of state.

If the USA joined it, for example, would we even feel out of the loop not being in it?

Edited by t_rAndy - 06 Feb 2024 at 4:20pm
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 3:41pm
Met him a fair bit over the last couple of years through work as he was chairing the lobby group to encourage international business to choose Ireland for legal disputes and Irish law as the governing law for contracts. He was sharp as a tack and got the point very quickly which I suppose came from being a lifelong politician. He must have been one of the youngest ministers for finance we ever had? Rainbow coalition did alright even if they got replaced by FF/PDs. 

Did he actually say he wanted Ireland to rejoin the commonwealth? LOL Mad stuff if so.  He definitely was of the ( very very strong) view that Home Rule would have gotten 32 county independence eventually if the Rising hadn't happened. That's an impossible one to agree with, given what happened here and what continues to happen with the Scottish independence movement. 

For helping get the divorce referendum over the line and setting up CAB with Nora Owen, he deserves a fair bit of credit. 

Touts Out!
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 2:48pm
Yeah I'm sure he was a decent man but he'd nearly have had us in the Commonwealth if he could.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 2:39pm
couldn’t stand him, practically unionist.

No Pasaran!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 11:18am
A major player in the emergence of new Ireland. Also at the helm during a period of growth and confidence for the nation. His mindset was one of integration.He was a great statesman and his influence was continuously relied upon after he left frontline politics. Could have been an excellent president.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by ButtySugrue ButtySugrue wrote:

John Bruton dead. A great politician

Must have been Charles Illness that sent him over the edge.

Ffs LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 10:44am
I'd expect a butchers apron draped across his coffin.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 10:31am

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
ButtySugrue View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButtySugrue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 10:21am
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I think the immigration issue is becoming a big problem for all the big parties, FF/FG/SF. The leaders and guys on TV are saying they support immigration and asylum seekers, but I get the feeling a lot of their locl support feels otherwise. Might result in a few more independents getting elected than usual. If anyone setup a proper far right party right now I'd say it'd get a good showing in the elections. Locals in June it should be a big issue.
The problem with local elections there isn't enough genuine candidates of substance running. If you go past those elected in some areas and see who just missed out there's some absolute messers. In my area if I don't vote for any mainstream candidates I'll have to vote for someone who's useless and no intention of helping the local community. 

General elections on the other hand I haven't voted for FFG for years. 

On the immigration thing it's hilarious seeing the government change their tune. They're almost sounding "far right" with some of the rhetoric these days. Kinda embarrassing anyone actually stood up for them recently.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 9:32am
I think the immigration issue is becoming a big problem for all the big parties, FF/FG/SF. The leaders and guys on TV are saying they support immigration and asylum seekers, but I get the feeling a lot of their locl support feels otherwise. Might result in a few more independents getting elected than usual. If anyone setup a proper far right party right now I'd say it'd get a good showing in the elections. Locals in June it should be a big issue.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 11:34am
Helen McEntee starting to use words like 'crackdown' for immigration now. 
Algeria and Botswana are suddenly deemed safe countries.

Edit: Government to also start dedicated charter flights for deportations. 
It's quite amazing how they change views when it becomes the burning issue ahead of elections. 

Edited by The GerK - 30 Jan 2024 at 12:52pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 11:26am
https://twitter.com/P_Kallioniemi/status/1752234635600306365?t=XwxsJbI82AHVs0HyYNuN6g&s=19

Good thread on our resident commies Daly and Wallace. No surprise they were working with Latvian MEP accused of being a Russian spy in Latvia.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

TDs are underpaid.
They certainly are not. You often hear the argument if the pay was better you’d get a better quality of TD’s but that isn’t true. 

Not sure I've heard argument before to be honest. 

I'll actually down grade my comment to 'they are not overpaid.'
107k is not massive for the job they do. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 1:03pm
Business Post poll on refugees. 

66% of us say we've taken in too many refugees
16% of us say we haven't

I think I can guess what part of the country most of the 16% live. 

This government are a disgrace. 

Their poll on Ukrainians suggest more people want them integrated into communities then those who want them kept separately in big refugee centres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 177>
  Share Topic