You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Player Transfers 2019/20/21 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 126>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I thought he looked good in the under-21s playing with Liam Scales. Hard to predict trajectories, eg Jimmy Dunne went to Man Utd as a youth, then Burnley where he played a couple of PL games, now QPR where he is a regular after Masterson fell out of favour playing in his position. The Gillingham return is underwhelming for Masterson but he did very well for them previously when they were in League One, so who knows, he may yet bounce back.
Dunne went out on loan and played a lot of games while Masterson didn’t. Can’t see Masterson bouncing back, 25 this year and he is dropping down divisions rather than rising through the divisions. 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:43am
Masterson is pretty much a textbook case of how not to have a youth development career these days. Goes to a massive club where the odds of making the grade are massively stacked against him. Doesn't go out on loan the whole time he's there. Stays at least two years too long.

Then tries to have a Championship career, which might have been possible had the earlier stages of his career been managed better. But goes to QPR with no first team experience under his belt so inevitably fails there too. Looks to be finding his level now in the lower divisions, but I could still see him back in Ireland within a couple of years to be honest. 

Definitely some parallels between his career and Lee O'Connor's. O'Connor is a couple of years younger but made similar early career mistakes to Masterson and now they're both down in League 2. I'm not sure either will ever go higher than League 1 at best, too much damage done now in both cases.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:51am
But O'Connor made his way down the divisions at the age of 20. He is in his third season with Tranmere and is still only 22. Not sure on the parallels there. Masterson didn't take the plunge so is behind O'Connor now on that curve and at an older age. 

We must also consider the raw materials as opposed to what is developed. O'Shea is tenacious and fast and has developed his ability on the ball a lot. Masterson never struck me as tenacious or fast and the latter is not really down to him going to Liverpool instead of West Brom.

PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:54am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Masterson is pretty much a textbook case of how not to have a youth development career these days. Goes to a massive club where the odds of making the grade are massively stacked against him. Doesn't go out on loan the whole time he's there. Stays at least two years too long.

Then tries to have a Championship career, which might have been possible had the earlier stages of his career been managed better. But goes to QPR with no first team experience under his belt so inevitably fails there too. Looks to be finding his level now in the lower divisions, but I could still see him back in Ireland within a couple of years to be honest. 

Definitely some parallels between his career and Lee O'Connor's. O'Connor is a couple of years younger but made similar early career mistakes to Masterson and now they're both down in League 2. I'm not sure either will ever go higher than League 1 at best, too much damage done now in both cases.
O’Connor more like Dunne, big club to big club, been playing football since he was 19 even if it was out on loan. O’Connor possibly could be lower championship by 24/25 if he gets lucky. Masterson is more likely to be back at Lucan in 3 years than anywhere near championship or Irish squad.  
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:02pm
The parallel with O'Connor is that they both went to the wrong clubs initially. Arguably O'Connor made the same mistake twice, though he did at least manage to get into senior football with Tranmere earlier than Masterson managed it.

At Liverpool and Man United you will get an education in how to play football for Liverpool and Man United, but arguably not much of an education in how to play the game on a wider level. And, as 99% of players aren't good enough to play for those teams, that's of limited use once you leave those clubs. 

O'Shea, as an alternative example, got a football education at West Brom and early loans to aid his development. He would have been rated well below Masterson when they left Ireland but has left him for dust in the UK. Neither O'Shea or Masterson are good enough to play for Man United and it's likely that neither ever will be. But O'Shea's path has given him a shot at a big future in the game at a higher level, whereas the initially more highly rated Masterson looks all but done at a decent level at 24.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:27pm
Think Masterson's main issue was he was with Liverpool for five years without any exposure to playing first team football via their first team or on loan. I know he was in a couple of cup squads but that was just to make up the numbers, He was basically an academy drone by the time he left. Think players need be out of of the academy & on loans by the third year if they are not involved with their first team.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:46pm
Kieran Sadlier has gone on loan to Leyton Orient from Bolton.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 2:36pm
Aidan Keena to Cheltenham confirmed for undisclosed fee
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Reported to be 110k, club record fee for Cheltenham!
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:46pm

He'll get opportunities anyway. Lowest scoring team in the league.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:51am
Joe O'Shaughnessy has been released by Wolves.
We're decent enough..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:02am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Joe O'Shaughnessy has been released by Wolves.
Not surprised, struggled get on bench out on loan to Bradford City
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:06am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Sligo too?
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Sligo too?

I think we got 120k for Johnny Kenny this time last year.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Sligo too?

I think we got 120k for Johnny Kenny this time last year.
Yeah forgot about him
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:30pm
Adam O’Reilly has signed for Derry City from Preston on a permanent deal. Luke Pearce has gone on loan to Eastbourne Borough from Southampton until the end of the season.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:15pm
Aiden O’Brien reported to be on the verge of a transfer to Gillingham from Shrewsbury.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:25pm
Corrie Ndaba to Fleetwood Town on loan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 126>
  Share Topic