You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Player Transfers 2019/20/21 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 126>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Canice Carroll has signed for Brentford from Oxford for undisclosed fee

This could be a really good move.

With our own John Egan gone to Sheffield, and talk of Chris Mepham to Leicester, Carroll could find himself with some game time quite soon.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:53pm
His goalscoring record isn't very impressive, he is however an absolute giant, especially when you consider he's only 20, so they may be able to mould him into a decent target-man.
We're decent enough..
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 1:44am
Think it has been a tough day for some of our EPL based first team squad who are on the fringes at their clubs. Too early to say that with any certainty as yet, but the likes of Southampton signing Ings not a good sign for Long, Burnley signing Ben Gibson not good for the other Long (Kevin) , Fulham getting Fosu-Mensah not good for Christie, Newcastle signing Fernadez not good for Clark, Burnley signing Vydra will push Walters further down the queue there. 

Lads get injured, suspended etc, and it may be the case that some of those named above get a chance and stay in their team, but nearly all those new signings mentioned would probably be classed as upgrades on existing squad members by the various club's own fans. Time will tell, but generally our players are being pushed toward the championship or further toward the fringes of the EPL. Its probably an accurate enough statement of their abilities at this point in time. 

Not intended as a doom & gloom type post, some of the above will get game time & do well (hopefully) but it could be a tough season for some of them. It hasn't been an overly positive window, the likes of Arter & Cunningham got good moves as regards playing (even if most think Cardiff are headed for the drop), McClean dropped a division but should benefit from game time, while the championship can still buy & sell players for another few weeks. 

You could argue that Doherty (via promotion) and Cunningham (moved up a division) are the only 2 real improvers in their squad status though, a good few such as the above will be pushed further toward the fringes, while others have dropped a division or signed for a lesser team to get game time, and other lads like Egan moved kind of sideways from one championship club to another one. 

Overall, it isn't a great picture, it will result in lesser competition for Ireland places, while we become ever more reliant on a small core of EPL regulars like Coleman, Duffy, Brady & Hendrick. Maybe Rice if we are lucky, but with the amount WHU are after signing, he'll be doing well to nail down a place there as well. Only difference with him & the rest is that you would give him a better than average chance of doing just that, such is his ability. The same can't be said for those named in the first paragraph. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SyMacca View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyMacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:36am
Brentford's twitter has announced Carroll as a signing for "Brentford B".

Still a good chance for him to get into the main side hopefully , Dean Smith is good for trying out young players.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:52am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Think it has been a tough day for some of our EPL based first team squad who are on the fringes at their clubs. Too early to say that with any certainty as yet, but the likes of Southampton signing Ings not a good sign for Long, Burnley signing Ben Gibson not good for the other Long (Kevin) , Fulham getting Fosu-Mensah not good for Christie, Newcastle signing Fernadez not good for Clark, Burnley signing Vydra will push Walters further down the queue there. 

Lads get injured, suspended etc, and it may be the case that some of those named above get a chance and stay in their team, but nearly all those new signings mentioned would probably be classed as upgrades on existing squad members by the various club's own fans. Time will tell, but generally our players are being pushed toward the championship or further toward the fringes of the EPL. Its probably an accurate enough statement of their abilities at this point in time. 

Not intended as a doom & gloom type post, some of the above will get game time & do well (hopefully) but it could be a tough season for some of them. It hasn't been an overly positive window, the likes of Arter & Cunningham got good moves as regards playing (even if most think Cardiff are headed for the drop), McClean dropped a division but should benefit from game time, while the championship can still buy & sell players for another few weeks. 

You could argue that Doherty (via promotion) and Cunningham (moved up a division) are the only 2 real improvers in their squad status though, a good few such as the above will be pushed further toward the fringes, while others have dropped a division or signed for a lesser team to get game time, and other lads like Egan moved kind of sideways from one championship club to another one. 

Overall, it isn't a great picture, it will result in lesser competition for Ireland places, while we become ever more reliant on a small core of EPL regulars like Coleman, Duffy, Brady & Hendrick. Maybe Rice if we are lucky, but with the amount WHU are after signing, he'll be doing well to nail down a place there as well. Only difference with him & the rest is that you would give him a better than average chance of doing just that, such is his ability. The same can't be said for those named in the first paragraph. 

Certainly not the best window for our players. 

I’d be hopeful that you could add Cunningham, Doherty, Ward and Arter to your list of regular starters. 

Rice has featured throughout pre season for West Ham and I think will probably still play over 20 games this year. 

Kevin Long’s situation is tough to judge, as is Ciaran Clark’s, I suspect that the pair of them might manage to play 12-15 games each which wouldn’t exactly be a disaster. 

If one of Josh Cullen, or Aaron Connolly could nail down a regular squad place and make a few appearances, it would be a really nice boost. We also have several youngsters who aren’t a million miles away from the first team at Southampton. 

We need a little luck that just one or two lads can make the breakthrough in the next year or so. 

Outside of the Premier League, it’s a pity that Scott Hogan hasn’t found a move as he doesn’t seem to be wanted at Villa. 

We really need a good season from our younger Championship players such as Maguire, Robinson, Browne, O’Dowda, Manning etc. These five seem the most likely to adapt and succeed at Premier League level. Let’s hope a few of them can really kick on and get a move up soon. 

I’m sure one or two youngsters will emerge as squad players / starters at Championship level this season too as usually a couple of youth players emerge from nowhere at this level. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:30pm
A rather Eeyoreish assessment. 

Cunningham moved to a Premier League club; Arter got a good move which should secure him first team football at a top-flight club; McClean got a good move from a basket-case West Brom team, who looked relegated by Christmas, to a Stoke side with a stronger squad, I'd venture to suggest, than a few Premier League clubs, and are rightly favourites for promotion; Egan got a move to a bigger club and becomes Sheffield United's record signing with a manager there who obviously rates him highly. Meyler has moved to a club who appreciate his leadership qualities and it looks like he'll be playing regularly this term. Burke got a great move to the Championship. Mulraney, Doyle, Gleeson and Forrester got good moves. Hoban got a good loan move to Aberdeen.

It's difficult to pinpoint any really regressive, downward moves for any of our important players. If the complaint is that some clubs who have Irish players on their books have signed new players, well, that happens. To not sign new players is to stand still, particularly in Premier League terms. Okay, Burnley signed a couple of new players, but they have the added burden of Europe this season - what do people expect? Burnley have six Irish first-teamers - would it benefit Ireland if they failed to strengthen whilst all if their rivals do and they get sucked into a relegation scrap and go down? I would suggest not.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 10 Aug 2018 at 8:01pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 12:05am
I'd call it a reasonably realistic assessment of the Irish players transfer window. I pointed out that Arter & Cunningham got good moves, which you agreed with. I also pointed out that is isn't automatically the case that some of those lads signed will automatically move ahead of Irish players at those clubs, but that doesn't take away from the fact most were signed with a view to improving positions that our players at those clubs play in. 

WBA were a championship team when McClean left them, he moved to another one. He was an EPL player last year, albeit one that didn't play much, I don't see his move as wildly progressive, except for his bank balance. Egan also moved to another one, which may or may not turn out to be any better than Brentford either this season or in the long run. Meyler moved from one struggling team to another one on a free transfer, Hull having not elected to extend his contract. Preston also signed some highly rated Man City striker young lad on a season loan, which makes it difficult for Maguire, never mind Burke. 

The others you mention aren't first 23 material at this current time. Maybe Doyle as back up keeper, but we already know he isn't good enough to be anything more than that. It is not a complaint that clubs signed new players, that's what clubs tend to do in transfer windows, its an observation that a lot of the individuals various clubs signed will make it more difficult for our players to get game time. This article appeared in a national newspaper today by the way, so I'm not the only person with this opinion of the transfer window. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 2:12pm
Clark and Christie start for their respective PL sides today. Their places to lose, I guess.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:05pm
Conor Davis has signed for UCD following his release by Reading.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 7:49pm
Former U-21 Jack Connors has joined Dover from Ebbsfleet.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Former U-21 Jack Connors has joined Dover from Ebbsfleet.

A real Kent of a move. 

He started tonight too.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:31am
Won't be returning to Bristol City after his trial there didn't work out.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 11:26am
Jesus, the comments from the assistant manager are a bit blunt there. It obviously went badly.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 6:38pm
Kieran O'Hara joins Macclesfield on loan.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 4:02pm
Jean Yves Poame has joined Cabinteely from Sunderland.
We're decent enough..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Jean Yves Poame has joined Cabinteely from Sunderland.
He was released from Sunderland in the Summer shame when I watched him in early days at Sunderland Academy he showed a lot of promise.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 11:34am
Stephen Ireland is supposedly wanted by Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 5:09pm
Stephen Quinn has signed a short-term deal (until 22 January) at Burton.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 22 Aug 2018 at 5:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 126>
  Share Topic