You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish People's Passion for English Teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No it's a winter league down in Carlow, but during the summer months I play gaelic and hurling as well as work a lot especially weekends so I'm always on the go.

I would only live in a LOI club were on my doorstep, I just feel the odd Friday night I haven't got anything on all I want to do is chill out and take a break from sport as much as I love it.

A lot of my mates come into that category too they have been to England once maybe twice in their lives to watch their team and sh*te out about being a super fan Confused LOL An there I am a regular Ireland match goer home and away and while I'm not claiming to be single handily keeping football going in Ireland or anything, I'm doing my bit at grass roots.

But yeah I will most definitely at least try and make a few LOI matches next season for sure!

Fair play GD, the Roddy show will keep ya entertained down there anyway Smile
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

No it's a winter league down in Carlow, but during the summer months I play gaelic and hurling as well as work a lot especially weekends so I'm always on the go.

I would only live in a LOI club were on my doorstep, I just feel the odd Friday night I haven't got anything on all I want to do is chill out and take a break from sport as much as I love it.

A lot of my mates come into that category too they have been to England once maybe twice in their lives to watch their team and sh*te out about being a super fan Confused LOL An there I am a regular Ireland match goer home and away and while I'm not claiming to be single handily keeping football going in Ireland or anything, I'm doing my bit at grass roots.

But yeah I will most definitely at least try and make a few LOI matches next season for sure!

I think I'll go to Bray, Shels or Wexford LOL 

Roddy Collins is a knobend Dead
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:47pm

A wise choice
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 5:27pm

now we are on the same page
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:25pm
Brits out, Up the Ra. Chelsea till I die. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Brits out, Up the Ra. Chelsea till I die. 
Finally you get it.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Anyone who uses the term "we" when talking about the EPL team they "support" is an absolute t0sser. Fact

You're a t**ser. Fact

Touch a nerve there did I????

Not at all, was just stating a point

Fair enough - but a point without any evidence to go on. 

My statement is fact. 

You don't play in EPL.  You don't come from the city of the team you believe you are somehow a part of.  You are a deluded man who wears an overpriced jersey in front of your TV shouting at the pictures and afterwards console or congratulate yourself on how you (plural) have done. 

You do not realise you are nothing more than a consumer.  A consumer who thinks they are a part of the product they consume.  You, sir, are an imbecile.

Feel better after that? Good man, get it off your chest. You're entitled to your view even if 99% of the country would disagree with you but somehow I get the feeling that wouldn't bother you. Say what you want, at the end of the day I've supported them since I was a child and that's not going to change. I'd take going over 2/3 times a year and watching the rest online than following a LOI just because I should.
Some people just deserve a slap
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 1:17am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

A lot of people here denouncing their passion for English teams seem to be Liverpool fans who coincidentally stopped supporting them when the trophies dried up....

That's a great point. I'd love to know if their 'growing out' of whatever team they supported coincided with said team dropping out of the trophies?

Makes ya think. 

Edited by heighway2heaven - 10 Oct 2015 at 1:18am
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:30pm

Anyone who uses the term "we" when talking about the EPL team they "support" is an absolute t0sser. Fact

You're a t**ser. Fact

Touch a nerve there did I????

Not at all, was just stating a point

Fair enough - but a point without any evidence to go on. 

My statement is fact. 

You don't play in EPL.  You don't come from the city of the team you believe you are somehow a part of.  You are a deluded man who wears an overpriced jersey in front of your TV shouting at the pictures and afterwards console or congratulate yourself on how you (plural) have done. 

You do not realise you are nothing more than a consumer.  A consumer who thinks they are a part of the product they consume.  You, sir, are an imbecile.

Feel better after that? Good man, get it off your chest. You're entitled to your view even if 99% of the country would disagree with you but somehow I get the feeling that wouldn't bother you. Say what you want, at the end of the day I've supported them since I was a child and that's not going to change. I'd take going over 2/3 times a year and watching the rest online than following a LOI just because I should.

Where did I mention the LOI.

I referred to people calling themselves and a premier league team from a city in England as "we" being t0ssers. Point stands.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:56pm

Where did I mention the LOI.

I referred to people calling themselves and a premier league team from a city in England as "we" being t0ssers. Point stands.
Prior to around 2011 I never referred to Liverpool as "we" but around that time I noticed a proliferation of people, both in real life and in the fictional, make believe world of INTERNET discussion forums, moaning over supporters of English teams doing so. 

Since then I've made a conscious decision to refer to Liverpool as "we" to continue to annoy people such as yourself over a matter which any normal person would see as of no consequence whatsoever.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:59pm
Aren't you great, you spend a large portion of your life indulging in juvenile attempts to wind people up. In between mammoth masturbation sessions no doubt.

Fwiw the subject matter doesn't actually annoy me. I just like pointing out the absurdity of it is all.

Edited by eire77 - 11 Oct 2015 at 12:08am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Blimp View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:41pm
I have more respect for men who find their own passions and their own interests rather than those who think that because there born in Ireland they must follow Ireland and Irish teams. Support who you would like to support not who you are dictated to to support. The world is a big place that should be explored. We don't have to be fixated on our little Island. If you want to support Irish do. It's none of my busness. If he wants to support Real madrid do. It's none of my busness. If she wants to support Arsenal do. It's also none of my busness. Stop sticking your nose into other peoples choices. Irish people are so obssessed with themselves.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:23pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:29pm
I do find it strange how some of my mates have more passion supporting an English side over their country! Baffling.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:36pm
It’s complicated. But it’s complicated because so many Irish players have played in the UK, Irish men have managed UK clubs, and lots of Irish people have emigrated to the UK and the local football club became something relevant to them.

Are the many more countries that have as many international players centralised in one particular country, with another group coming from one other (Scotland)?

Irish and English football are inextricably linked.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
That's hardly new anyway. My old man traveled over to the UK frequently in the 70's & 80's to games. 

I haven't been to an EPL game since 2008. I go to see a La Liga game once a season. Already been to Osasuna this season and will go to either Atletico Madrid or Getafe in February, if either are playing on the Saturday I'm in Madrid.

Started going back to LOI games regularly this year for the first time since 1999. Best decision I've ever made. Can't beat going to live games.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:53pm
I try to go to United once a year, as much for the pissup as for the match - i support them, i watch every week on TV, but i dont feel the same passion that i do for Bohs or Ireland. It's not "mine", has nothing to do with anything i identify with personally be it nationality, where i grew up in, i don't go every week or anywhere near it etc. I started supporting them because i was born in the early 90s and Roy Keane was the captain when i was 6 (i didn't know he was a total knob then).

It's a point that's been laboured to death but that's because there's a truth to it. I can't feel the same passion watching games on telly in a pub every saturday that i do standing in the terraces with my mates with passionate support for 90 minutes every friday. I also feel that the Premier League becomes exhausting, with it being flogged to death for over-analysis, knee jerk reactions, 'banter accounts', people passing off Pundit X's opinion as gospel/their own opinion and all the rest of it. I don't rate PL atmospheres apart from Palace and a lot of it is based on sneering at other people for doing something. English fans like to laugh at MLS fans trying to create more of an atmosphere than they ever will, seeing how many songs you can fit to the tune of Sloop John B.

Id much rather go to a random derby in any city than a random Premier League game, even though the standard would likely be higher in the latter. Football to me is all about passion and i see none of it in the PL.

I'm a fan of United, i'm a supporter of my local club and my country. Having said that, i know lads who go over every week, and if thats what they're into more power to them. I would have to hand it to them for being there all the time.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Sep 2019 at 12:55pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It’s complicated. But it’s complicated because so many Irish players have played in the UK, Irish men have managed UK clubs, and lots of Irish people have emigrated to the UK and the local football club became something relevant to them.

Are the many more countries that have as many international players centralised in one particular country, with another group coming from one other (Scotland)?

Irish and English football are inextricably linked.

Not that complicated, people like winners and the best players so easier to flick on the TV or go to the pub and nominally support a team from across the way. 

Used to use the Irish link myself when justifying going across but its nonsense, just enjoyed seeing a team win and seeing some of the world's best players. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic