You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish People's Passion for English Teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:36am
Love watching the Toon but because of my location i don't get to see them live much,the main reason being Ireland away games take up most of my holiday days which will always be my priority.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Sponsored Links

TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 1:07am
I follow an English club but I support a LOI side with all my heart and that's the way it should be. Like a lot of the lads on here I don't feel the same attachment to my English side now as I did a couple of years ago but that's probably because I am so obsessed with my LOI side and the LOI as a whole. The fellas going round in united jerseys are the first ones to spout sh*te about hating the English. It's brain dead if you ask me.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:37am
Firstly this isn't just an Irish issue. The EPL is a global league. The problem with people ploughing their money into English clubs affects local leagues globally.
The English clubs aren't heading off to the far reaches of Asia every summer for the good of their health.
Countries like Norway have the same number of people getting on planes and boats every weekend to head over.
I can relate to alot of people on here who switched to LOI clubs. The EPL is very clinical and cold.
I follow Liverpool as the city and the people are lovely.
I don't begrudge people following a much higher standard of football. And the league here could do much more to market itself. I can't argue with any of that.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:36am
Ireland has the highest number of overseas supporters going to EPL matches, pubs are full at the weekend when United and Arsenal play all the mean while Irish clubs continue to go bust on their doorstep. Then the same people complain the national team are sh1te and never go anywhere in big tournaments. It's total fu(king enraging
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:58am

It's as it is because from a young age all kids want to do is play in England for one of the big teams and all they watch is the Premier League on tv. Ask them to name a LOI player or 2/3 LOI teams and they'd struggle. That's not their fault, it's how football is run in Ireland and the image the LOI has. If the FAI Cup final was on Sunday at 3pm and so was a Liverpool or Utd game we all know which 90% of people would choose to watch. As well as image its down to quality aswell.

I follow Liverpool and try get over 2/3 times a year if can. Love the city and the people there as well as the club itself. Have been a big supporter since I was a child and my kids are the same. Have no real interest in the LOI to be honest but work hard with the local schoolboys club. I'd rather go watch one of our kids teams play on a Saturday than go to a LOI game as I'd get more enjoyment out of watching our lads improve than a team to which I've no connection or wouldn't even know half the players.
Some people just deserve a slap
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Done to death this!

The Irish club's and FAI should be doing more to appeal to lads at a young age before they are turned by the bright lights that is the premier league. It's what happened with majority of us who support English clubs. If my head wasn't turned when it was then maybe I'd be a season ticket holder at an Irish club, maybe not. But point is the premiership was the one that grabbed my attention when I was a kid and then you grow up with it and it stays with you into adulthood. not going to make apologies for it now

So that is the main answer to people's bewilderment with Irish men supporting English clubs
I could understand it if their were some Irish lads involved in a particular team but how could the fortunes of bunch of mercanaries concern you? When you think about it, it's crazy. Fine having an interest but to be fanatical about an English team is crazy in my opinion.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

I just find it funny (aka embarrassing) when Irish Man Yoo fans call their Liverpool supporting friends Scouse B@stards. Or sing songs about them eating rats in council houses. And vice versa.

Fair enough if you like watching it or "follow" a team, but leave the put on accents at home, hey lads?

I too watch MOTD (if I'm in) but grew out of my "diehard" support when I discovered women and booze. I am interested in how the Irish players get on tho.
100% agree with you.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

It's as it is because from a young age all kids want to do is play in England for one of the big teams and all they watch is the Premier League on tv. Ask them to name a LOI player or 2/3 LOI teams and they'd struggle. That's not their fault, it's how football is run in Ireland and the image the LOI has. If the FAI Cup final was on Sunday at 3pm and so was a Liverpool or Utd game we all know which 90% of people would choose to watch. As well as image its down to quality aswell.

I follow Liverpool and try get over 2/3 times a year if can. Love the city and the people there as well as the club itself. Have been a big supporter since I was a child and my kids are the same. Have no real interest in the LOI to be honest but work hard with the local schoolboys club. I'd rather go watch one of our kids teams play on a Saturday than go to a LOI game as I'd get more enjoyment out of watching our lads improve than a team to which I've no connection or wouldn't even know half the players.
So Liverpool's bunch of overpaid premadonnas would concern you?

I'm sorry but your a grown man, would'nt have a problem with your kids following Liverpool but surely you should have grown out of it when you hit 16 or 17.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:10am
The way people go on about this you'd swear this is a recent thing. I guarantee most people's parents follow an English team, which is usually passed on to their sons/daughters. Its only become an issue now because of the lack of Irish players in the top league.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I'm sorry but your a grown man, would'nt have a problem with your kids following Liverpool but surely you should have grown out of it when you hit 16 or 17.
Yes because they're the team I support and have done since I was a child. Results don't bother me as much as when I was younger and probably wouldn't be as passionate either but I'm still a supporter and always will be

You're second part is just a stupid statement in fairness
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The way people go on about this you'd swear this is a recent thing. I guarantee most people's parents follow an English team, which is usually passed on to their sons/daughters. Its only become an issue now because of the lack of Irish players in the top league.
Thumbs Up
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:28am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Yeah, but supporting a team because your parents did is just as tenuous a reason as "I have no connection to my LoI club". You have to MAKE a connection, it just doesn't happen by magic.

And the quality reason is a bit of a red herring. If people don't go to LoI matches because they think the quality isn't up to scratch then why don't they just go to Champions League games as the quality of them is generally superior to the EPL?
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:30am

Yes because they're the team I support and have done since I was a child. Results don't bother me as much as when I was younger and probably wouldn't be as passionate either but I'm still a supporter and always will be

Well i am speaking from personal experience so don't think it is a stupid statement. When  i reached my mid teens i thought to myself why am i so passionate about players and clubs which i have no connection with. The only team i am passionate about now is Ireland.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:37am

Well i am speaking from personal experience so don't think it is a stupid statement. When  i reached my mid teens i thought to myself why am i so passionate about players and clubs which i have no connection with. The only team i am passionate about now is Ireland.
Well that's fair enough, that's  your choice and opinion but for the vast majority of supporters in Ireland it's different. That's just how it is, people just don't have the interest in the LOI and it's going to take an awful lot of work to change that. I used to go watch Pats a good bit but just lost interest. Now watch the Liverpool matches online, try get over a couple times a year and support my country of course.  
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:42am
as a child people make decisions and develop habits. Upon reaching maturity reevaluate themselves and enter adulthood having developed. Again in their 30's and 40's they reevaluate and move into other phase's of their life. This process continues throughout your life and is referred to as development.

I used to eat my snots, tease girls, go to mass every Sunday, get into fights in the street and wear an English club jersey as a child. I don't do them things no more.

Edited by eire77 - 08 Oct 2015 at 11:45am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:42am

And this is how I got my user name
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:50am
A lot of people here denouncing their passion for English teams seem to be Liverpool fans who coincidentally stopped supporting them when the trophies dried up....
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

A lot of people here denouncing their passion for English teams seem to be Liverpool fans who coincidentally stopped supporting them when the trophies dried up....

so true
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic