You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish People's Passion for English Teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish People's Passion for English Teams?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:31pm
I got over my obsession when i was about 15. I love English football but i don't get people's passion for 1 particular team. Its very strange when you take time to think about it yet i have seen numerous rows between grown men over English teams.

Edited by Irish2011 - 07 Oct 2015 at 3:31pm
Sponsored Links

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:36pm
Same as, was a big fan of Liverpool as a kid then it seemed to go in the later teenage years. I don't understand the obsession, think it's like a big soap opera for lads. Still watch it to look out for the Irish lads.
Chips don't bounce
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:41pm
Its a load of bollox if you ask me. 

Pay 60 or 70 quid to go in and sit down like your at the opera house. f**k that. Give me Turners Cross over that sh*te any day of the week
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Same as, was a big fan of Liverpool as a kid then it seemed to go in the later teenage years. I don't understand the obsession, think it's like a big soap opera for lads. Still watch it to look out for the Irish lads.
Agreed, one Galway lad on twitter just tweets about Liverpool 24/7, hard to understand.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 4:29pm
I struggle to understand the passion of armchair fans who never ever travel over to see their heroes in the flesh and simply watch them in the pub or on the tele every week. For those who travel over regularly or have some kind of association with the area or city its a bit different. 

anyone else notice over the last few years a new breed of lads who were never into UK football are now obsessed with the premiership or is it just me? 

A good few of my not sports loving mates seem suddenly to be interested in football. Not sure if it comes from office fantasy football or just they needed a hobby to get some time away from the wife and kids. Most of them do not support a team. Where is the fun in that like.

I have little interest in football that i have no emotional attachment with these days. Enjoy the later stages of the champions league as neutral but i will very rarely watch the premiership.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 4:47pm
I enjoy watching the Prem but I don't follow a team. Ok, on a more honest note I enjoy watching MOtD as opposed to the full games. I get all the blood, sweat and tears I need/could really do without from Ireland matches.

I don't even envy supporters across the water that are as into their club sides as a lot of us on here would be into the national side. Imagine going through such a rollercoaster of emotions every single weekend? No thanks!
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 4:53pm
There is nothing wrong with having an English team per say. It would be nice if the same heads also had an Irish team, but that's another days work. What is unique about Ireland is that there are die hard football fans who have never been to a game - how seriously would you take a music aficionado who had never been to a gig? I think that falls into the old fans v consumers argument.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 4:55pm

Follow it for Fantasy reasons and because I just like watching sport. City and Ireland provide me with too much drama already. As for lads obsessed with it and loyal to "their" chosen club it's cringey enough but sure leave 'em off

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 5:04pm
While I wouldn't begrudge anyone supporting an English team, it really IS quite odd when you think about it.

An excuse regularly given for not following a League of Ireland team is "I have no emotional attachment to them" yet the majority of Irish-based EPL fans have chosen their team based on nothing more than someone in their family also supporting them or whether that club were winning trophies when the 'fan' in question was 8 years old. Now, that's weird.
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 5:06pm
I cant believe that some people find it hard to understand that a lot of Irish lads follow english teams

Its very frustrating being a Slob
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 5:20pm
I guess it has been a month since we seen one of these threads. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:03pm
Done to death this!

The Irish club's and FAI should be doing more to appeal to lads at a young age before they are turned by the bright lights that is the premier league. It's what happened with majority of us who support English clubs. If my head wasn't turned when it was then maybe I'd be a season ticket holder at an Irish club, maybe not. But point is the premiership was the one that grabbed my attention when I was a kid and then you grow up with it and it stays with you into adulthood. not going to make apologies for it now

So that is the main answer to people's bewilderment with Irish men supporting English clubs

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 Oct 2015 at 6:05pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

I cant believe that some people find it hard to understand that a lot of Irish lads follow english teams

no one does, that is a straw man. What people find it hard to understand is unlike other counties like Norway obsessed with English football most Irish fans don't also support their domestic sides.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Done to death this!

The Irish club's and FAI should be doing more to appeal to lads at a young age before they are turned by the bright lights that is the premier league. It's what happened with majority of us who support English clubs. If my head wasn't turned when it was then maybe I'd be a season ticket holder at an Irish club, maybe not. But point is the premiership was the one that grabbed my attention when I was a kid and then you grow up with it and it stays with you into adulthood. not going to make apologies for it now

So that is the main answer to people's bewilderment with Irish men supporting English clubs
so why don't I know any Irish people whose number 1 club is Barca or real? Why is this not a factor in places like Norway? Following English football is easier, I wish people were more honest about it.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:39pm
If any EPL fans ever want to take in a game but don't want to go alone or feel apprehensive for whatever reason give me a bell. Always happy to introduce people to out wonderful league. It may even surprise you.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:00pm
I think Irish people are in a general sense, bandwagons and event junkies.

Is there anything wrong with that?

In the last say 50 years the best Irish players have always played in England, you could count on one hand the amount of Irish players who have played in continental countries.

How many people in Ireland started following the MLS in more detail since Keane went over.

When McGeady played for Moscow I watched a fair few number of games as they were on Setanta and watched how the team did on a weekly basis, as I was interesting in seeing how he was doing.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:54pm
I am passionate about both Southampton and Harps...Usually get over to a Saints match 4/5 times a season. Love the club and get absorbed in it and all but I don't feel quite the same euphoria as when Harps do well or sadness when they do badly. I don't really have the hatred for Pompey as most Saints fans have as I don't know any of their fans or have even been to their city. I just don't think you can get the same rush as supporting your local team. It can get mighty close at times but the pain and hurt last and linger longer for the local side. I still love supporting both my teams though
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 11:45pm
I just find it funny (aka embarrassing) when Irish Man Yoo fans call their Liverpool supporting friends Scouse B@stards. Or sing songs about them eating rats in council houses. And vice versa.

Fair enough if you like watching it or "follow" a team, but leave the put on accents at home, hey lads?

I too watch MOTD (if I'm in) but grew out of my "diehard" support when I discovered women and booze. I am interested in how the Irish players get on tho.

Edited by eire77 - 07 Oct 2015 at 11:49pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic