You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland's penalty takers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland's penalty takers
    Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:21pm
In the event of a penalty shootout, we need 5 good penalty takers to ensure there is no repeat of the weak efforts against Spain.

If all players were free from injury I think our best 5 would be in this order:

1. Shane Long
2. Stephen Hunt
3. Jon Walters
4. Keith Fahey
5. Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle (both a bit ropey).

With Long probably out, you'd be looking at both Doyle and Keane taking one.

Who else is there? Do Whelan or Andrews take a penalty ever?
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:25pm
Andrews has hit a few if i'm not mistaken
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:26pm
I'd fancy Whelan taking one... Would be very
nervous if I saw Hunt going up...
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:27pm
Would have confidence in everyone bar our defenders and McGeady.
David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:28pm
Keane has a quality record from the spot, the jury's still out on Doyle
Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:28pm

McGeady? I know he scored one in the last minute of a game last season to win the game so that shows he can hold his nerve. Cox maybe? I don't think Doyle is the best at them either.

1. Hunt
2. Walters
3. Keane
4. McGeady
5. Fahey
6. Long
7. Cox

They're the players I'd consider.
Ahh heya!
Cormakazam View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cormakazam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:29pm
Liam Lawrence takes them for Pompey.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Would have confidence in everyone bar our defenders and McGeady.

Would have no confidence in Duff. He doesnt fancy taking them at all.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:34pm
Wouldn't have McGeady or Duff near a peno.

You have to take into perspective who'd be on the pitch too. There's no way in hell. Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters will be on the pitch at the same time.

1. Jon Walters up first anyway. Takes a brilliant peno.
2. Hunt
3. Dunne. (Put your foot through it son)
4. Keane
5. Whelan

Edited by ShamtheRam - 01 Nov 2011 at 7:35pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

I'd fancy Whelan taking one... Would be very
nervous if I saw Hunt going up...
Confused, hunt is a great peno taker, slotted one home at eastlands at the weekend, not a bother on him.

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm

Penalties are a strange one, it can come down to holding your nerve as much as technique (which probably explains why Hunt takes them at Wolves, even though I don't think he is a clean striker of the ball, unlike, say, Fahey.

As regards that list Rolo, you are making the assumption Long, Walters and Keane/Doyle would be on the pitch at the time, a very unlikely scenario, there would likely be only 2 of the 5 strikers in the squad on at that stage.  Of those, I think Keane and Walters would be the best bets, Doyler isn't the cleanest striker of the ball.

Fahey would be a certainty, and I think both Whelan and Andrews are good strikers of the ball as well, but the same thing applies, it is unlikely all 3 would be on at the end of 120 mins. Hunty probably would be in line for one of them alright.

Actually, yer after making me nervous now, I have visions of McGeady blazing one over the bar......

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm

Get the worst/least confident of the 5 up first then the best up second. If the first guy misses there is more time to turn it around plus with the best taker going 2nd it would be most likely only 2-1 down. If you miss the first two your fecked.

I dont know the stats but i heard before that Shay Given surprisingly has a poor peno save rate.

Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Get the worst/least confident of the 5 up first then the best up second. If the first guy misses there is more time to turn it around plus with the best taker going 2nd it would be most likely only 2-1 down. If you miss the first two your fecked.

I dont know the stats but i heard before that Shay Given surprisingly has a poor peno save rate.

yep, saved fook all penos
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Wouldn't have McGeady or Duff near a peno.

You have to take into perspective who'd be on the pitch too. There's no way in hell. Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters will be on the pitch at the same time.

1. Jon Walters up first anyway. Takes a brilliant peno.
2. Hunt
3. Dunne. (Put your foot through it son)
4. Keane
5. Whelan

There's alot to be said for bringing on a sub in the last 30 seconds of injury time. I remember Alex Ferguson sending on Anderson for the last 10 seconds of the 2008 Champions League final and he did the business for him in the shoot-out.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:45pm
Was just thinking the same thing rolo if we are looking at a penalty shoot out stick walters on in injury time with the penalties in mind
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:46pm
after doyles attempt of a peno against blackburn I wouldnt let him anywhere need a penelty!
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:47pm
Andrews was the penalty taker for MK Dons when he was there
The only way is up
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:51pm
Wats westwood record 4 penoes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic