You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland vs Scotland JUNE 11th Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland vs Scotland JUNE 11th Match Thread
    Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:20am
Well....what now?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:22am
There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:33am
Win or bust basically. We're well past there being any value in heroic 1-1 home draws at this point after the last two games and we'll get nothing over in Poland.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Well....what now?

Kenny tampers with the floodlights, gets the game abandoned and get awarded a drawLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:46am
Perhaps time for a bit of a refresh. Give Travers, Lenihan, Manning, Obafemi and Molumby a start. I’d like to see some call-ups, but I suspect that won’t happen.

I’d be disappointed if there were just a few marginal changes made.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:50am
Did think we would beat the Scots , now i am not sure we could beat anyone Cry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Why did you think we would beat a squad with lads like 

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Tierney (maybe out injured)
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

All who would walk into our team. 
AKA pedantic kunt
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:57am
I'd like to see us revert to a back 4, something like this:

Kelleher

Manning/McLean (we're struggling on the left side. I'd actually have the 2 boys in the 21s over these)
Duffy
Collins
O'Shea

Cullen
Knight 
Brown (more mobile than Hendrick/Hourihane/ Molumby..that's the only reason I'd start him. Again I'd probably have Smallbone, Kilkenny, Ronan,Jack Byrne all in here ahead of these 4)

Ogbene
Obafemi
Parrot
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Because every player you've listed is either a left back or a central midfielder, apart from Cooper and Adams who aren't much good. You could have added in Hickey and Gilmour who are both decent, but that would have been another left back and another central midfielder.

They have some good players but they're a very unbalanced team.

They have got a manager that has got a lot out of them though to be fair.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Jun 2022 at 12:00pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Because every player you've listed is either a left back or a central midfielder, apart from Cooper and Adams who aren't much good. You could have added in Hickey and Gilmour who are both decent, but that would have been another left back and another central midfielder.

Tierney plays lcb for Scotland.  Robertson plays lwb. 

McTominay can play RCB or CM for Scotland.  

Adams plays up front.

McGregor is a CM

McGinn plays AM and

Cooper plays CB. 

Not sure if your point as they play a similar formation to us and don’t play with wingers. 

The manager has a whole lot more to work with than Kenny has. 

Edited by Baldrick - 09 Jun 2022 at 12:05pm
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:12pm

Win or bust basically. We're well past there being any value in heroic 1-1 home draws at this point after the last two games and we'll get nothing over in Poland.
Just because you keep saying something doesn’t make it true.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:27pm

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Adams plays up front.

McGregor is a CM

McGinn plays AM and

Cooper plays CB. 

Not sure if your point as they play a similar formation to us and don’t play with wingers. 

You're kind of proving my point there to be honest. Which is that Clarke is having to play those players out of position because they're so short of natural options. McTominay has been a disaster for them at centre back incidentally but their alternatives are no better. Which is not too surprising as he's a midfielder. Tierney is not a natural centre back, he just plays there to fill a hole, does a better job of it than McTominay but it's still not his proper position. Hickey was played out of position on the right against Ukraine to fill another hole. They have no good goalkeepers under the age of 39 and even the 39 year old is at Hearts for a reason. 

Clarke is getting the best or close to it out if what he has. Kenny isn't managing anywhere near that. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:43pm

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Adams plays up front.

McGregor is a CM

McGinn plays AM and

Cooper plays CB. 

You're kind of proving my point there to be honest. Which is that Clarke is having to play those players out of position because they're so short of natural options. McTominay has been a disaster for them at centre back incidentally but their alternatives are no better. Which is not too surprising as he's a midfielder. Tierney is not a natural centre back, he just plays there to fill a hole, does a better job of it than McTominay but it's still not his proper position. Hickey was played out of position on the right against Ukraine to fill another hole. They have no good goalkeepers under the age of 39 and even the 39 year old is at Hearts for a reason. 

Clarke is getting the best or close to it out if what he has. Kenny isn't managing anywhere near that. 

I think this is disingenuous to say the least. I think to any even semi-neutral observer it is abundantly clear that Clarke has significantly better footballers at his disposal. He also has the advantage of a semi-reasonable domestic league to draw further players from. Kenny has a squad of ageing pros who cant get first team football and young lads starting out on their careers- the ones in between 23-28 are largely simply not good enough. There is a very significant gap between the talent of the two playing pools. 

Likewise Ukraine last night and their so called 2nd team which largely featured players playing regularly at the likes of Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev.

I have no problem with lads calling out Kenny, but to do so without acknowledging the limitations of the players available to him seems churlish.
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:59pm
 we all know the cards are hard to play for Kenny but was it any other way Kenny wouldn’t have got the job he knew what he was letting him self in for 

He is not capable of improving us he has shown this already he has his chance and couldn’t find the business.

He refuses to select players on form instead insists they get a few camps under their belt first!!

What a load of thrash fair enough if we are winning all round us but it’s not and the advice is from himself and Andrew’s as Roy says “ do me a favour”

He is shooting him self in the foot 

Edited by Fruice - 09 Jun 2022 at 1:02pm
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:03pm

Travers
           Collins Duffy Lenihan 
Ebosele                               Manning
               Smallbone Cullen 
        Ogbene Obafemi Knight 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm
You are deluded Clarke has lads playing regularly in the premier
League and for top 6 clubs.  We had one lad who
Was a premier league regular last night. 

Clarke has far more at his disposal including champions league winner and epl league winner and
Lads regularly playing at highest level. 
AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:14pm

You are deluded Clarke has lads playing regularly in the premier
League and for top 6 clubs.  We had one lad who
Was a premier league regular last night. 

Clarke has far more at his disposal including champions league winner and epl league winner and
Lads regularly playing at highest level. 

And thats one lad was a only a semi-regular in a team that got relegated and probably wasnt first choice at all if both of Mee and Tarkowski were available!
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:24pm
I want to see a lot of changes for Saturday, and a few callups.

Kelleher
         Lenihan Egan* Collins
Ebosele Molumby Kilkenny Manning
                   Browne
          Parrott        Obafemi

*If Egan is OK start him instead of Duffy. O'Shea was awful when he came on, Duffy still the better choice there.
Cullen can't start 3 games he's knackered, his performance will only dip further.

Robertson is tired after a long season, Eboseles youthful exuberance would hopefully give him a tough time.

Kilkenny & Smallbone callups. Though with Smallbones injury record I wouldn't start him, 15' off the bench.
Get McGrath in the squad, he's not fit to start, but he's surely good for 15'.

Knight put in a big shift last night, don't think he'd be ready to go again for Saturday.

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I think this is disingenuous to say the least. I think to any even semi-neutral observer it is abundantly clear that Clarke has significantly better footballers at his disposal. He also has the advantage of a semi-reasonable domestic league to draw further players from. Kenny has a squad of ageing pros who cant get first team football and young lads starting out on their careers- the ones in between 23-28 are largely simply not good enough. There is a very significant gap between the talent of the two playing pools. 

Likewise Ukraine last night and their so called 2nd team which largely featured players playing regularly at the likes of Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev.

I have no problem with lads calling out Kenny, but to do so without acknowledging the limitations of the players available to him seems churlish.

That's the major difference between our squad & Scotlands. They have a lot of players in that 24-30  range (physical prime years) where we have missing generations.

In 5 years we could have a similar looking squad to what theirs looks like now. Maybe.

Edited by Greenie50 - 09 Jun 2022 at 1:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic