Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland vs Denmark Nations League Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I seem to remember we made a complete balls of a free kick routine in the second half in a good position never came close to working  

When we trying to snake in down the side LOL FFS, we are a joke. And to make matters worse we still look vulnerable to opposing teams not taking the standard corner, once in the first half we nearly caught. This goes back to Scotland away, then Austria at home and we still haven't learned. And for all the defenders on the pitch we still couldn't mark Sisto.
We were haunted that this lad is really poor. I don't know why he wanted to always keep the ball for as long as he did and ignore his teammates in space, but we were very glad of it.
Sponsored Links

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I seem to remember we made a complete balls of a free kick routine in the second half in a good position never came close to working  

When we trying to snake in down the side LOL FFS, we are a joke. And to make matters worse we still look vulnerable to opposing teams not taking the standard corner, once in the first half we nearly caught. This goes back to Scotland away, then Austria at home and we still haven't learned. And for all the defenders on the pitch we still couldn't mark Sisto.
We were haunted that this lad is really poor. I don't know why he wanted to always keep the ball for as long as he did and ignore his teammates in space, but we were very glad of it.

Yeah he's one of those alright, we aren't particularly quick at the back so you could see we were terrified of him from the off. Complete show pony and loves hogging the ball. Saying that, that one he curled had the big man beat. We were right behind it. They would have knicked it 1 nil with that. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:19am
Game was a bore, but to a team that had just lost 5-1 and 4-1 I can see why they did it. It was a sh*t 90mns but should serve the team well in the long run

It also pretty much guarantees that O'Neill/Keane ain't getting fired before the start of the 2020 qualifiers

Christie in midfield was basically what we needed last year against Denmark. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The thing I really can't get my head around is the following : Cyrus Christie has never played in central midfield for his club. He found out he was starting there on Saturday when he arrived at the stadium an hour before the game. 

Seriously.......

LOL  I'd like to think he trained there during the week but probably not.

It was certainly odd. But I still stand by the fact for a right back told 1 hour before the match he'd be playing as a central midfielder he done an OK job.

Though if you were Hourihane or Meyler you'd be freaked

Edited by lassassinblanc - 15 Oct 2018 at 10:27am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The thing I really can't get my head around is the following : Cyrus Christie has never played in central midfield for his club. He found out he was starting there on Saturday when he arrived at the stadium an hour before the game. 

Seriously.......

It was certainly odd. But I still stand by the fact for a right back told 1 hour before the match he'd be playing as a central midfielder he done an OK job.

Though if you were Hourihane or Browne you'd be freaked
Neither Browne or Hourihane have looked good enough in midfield, Cyrus has only looked not good enough at right-back previously.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:31am

Seriously.......

Neither Browne or Hourihane have looked good enough in midfield, Cyrus has only looked not good enough at right-back previously.

Actually meant Meyler instead of Browne but I agree that they haven't played well when given the chance but to play a right back ahead of a player more suited and used to the role was potential suicide by MON.

Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:36am

Wales will be missing Ramsey and Bale, no excuses should beat them comfortably

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:39am

Seriously.......

Actually meant Meyler instead of Browne but I agree that they haven't played well when given the chance but to play a right back ahead of a player more suited and used to the role was potential suicide by MON.

Absolutely. For an apparently safe and cautious manager, he loves an unnecessary risk. I can't see what he sees, or what anyone else sees for that matter, in Christie, he has as bad a touch as I have ever seen from a player playing at such a high level, but it does expose how weak we are in midfield. A right-back and a winger in the middle!  We really have f**k all and are waiting on a player who hasn't played for us for two years, one who has massively underwhelmed at times too, to comeback and give us any semblance of a midfield at all.
In saying that, Williams deserved his chance. He looks like a player who is suited to international football so far, far more so than the likes of Browne and Hourihane.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

They will be out for revenge. 
I expect an ugly match with very few chances.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:55am

Absolutely. For an apparently safe and cautious manager, he loves an unnecessary risk. I can't see what he sees, or what anyone else sees for that matter, in Christie, he has as bad a touch as I have ever seen from a player playing at such a high level, but it does expose how weak we are in midfield. A right-back and a winger in the middle!  We really have f**k all and are waiting on a player who hasn't played for us for two years, one who has massively underwhelmed at times too, to comeback and give us any semblance of a midfield at all.
In saying that, Williams deserved his chance. He looks like a player who is suited to international football so far, far more so than the likes of Browne and Hourihane.

Williams would definitely have been better then playing Arter in defensive mid role anyway.

Perhaps MON thought he could turn Cyrus into Philip Lahm LOL
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:02am
The match was so bad that the fella next to me didn't come out of WhatsApp for the game, I honestly don't think he watched a minute LOL

Now, how he had signal is more the question Shocked
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:05am

LOL
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:05am

The match was so bad that the fella next to me didn't come out of WhatsApp for the game, I honestly don't think he watched a minute LOL

Now, how he had signal is more the question Shocked

I agree I never have signal anywhere near the stadium
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

LOL
A goalless draw with Denmark is all it takes for the delusion to kick back in.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:14am

Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

LOL
A goalless draw with Denmark is all it takes for the delusion to kick back in.

+1 LOL
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:06pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:45pm
Delaney call Irelands style of play primitive. 

MON responds:

"They are a strong physical side and if you were asking teams around Europe, they'd say Christian Eriksen is a world class player, Delaney is a top quality player, Sisto plays in the big league too but they can dish it out themselves when it's necessary. They are as physical as any side in European football."

He's deliberately misunderstanding the word primitive to mean  physical as it suits his narrative.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:48pm
Why doesn't he sack him then...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>
  Share Topic