Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland vs Denmark Nations League Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland vs Denmark Nations League Match Thread
    Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:23am
It won't be long before these games come round again. 

I don't think a draw would be disaster providing we beat Wales. Easier said than done.

That performance more than the result against Poland was badly needed after the week we've had. Anything less than 4 points from these two home games and we're more than likely going to finish bottom. 

Denmark were very impressive against Wales. They're better than they were this time last year and arguably should've beaten Croatia in the world cup. I think we underestimated them a bit when we got them in the playoff. I can't see it being any better than a draw tbh. 

Edited by irishmufc - 12 Sep 2018 at 8:23am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:30am
As much as last night was an improvement, I can't see us continuing it to October, Once again Eriksen will be given too much room and he'll punish us (I can't see it being another 5-1 though...at least I hope not).
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:54am
What have we learned from the past week, or more importantly, what will the management have learned?

Who comes in to the team for Denmark?

Walters is finished at international level, and Ward should go too. Also Ciaran Clark's starting position has to be under serious review after Wales.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 10:33am
If you think Denmark will let us pass it around the back like Poland did last night then you will be in for a surprise! Hopefully he takes a risk with a few lads being given a chance after last night. Nothing to lose.
I still expect a Danish win and them to have two-thirds of the ball.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 10:37am
My hope for the game is that the Rice and Arter situations are resolved and they return to the squad. McCarthy and Brady overcome their long term injuries and join up. Equally, all the players like Maguire, Shane Long, and hopefully McClean return.

A full squad to pick from would be nice, and hopefully an ambitious game will be played, with a sensible strategy.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:12am
We have played well in previous friendlies under MON (we were excellent against Uruguay) but as soon as the qualifiers roll around, we revert right back to the cagey hoofball tactics and play the same over the hill players. Let's hope these 2 games have been a wakeup call and players like Williams, Egan, Stevens and O'Brien are given a chance. Last chance saloon for MONROY

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 12 Sep 2018 at 11:12am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If you think Denmark will let us pass it around the back like Poland did last night then you will be in for a surprise! Hopefully he takes a risk with a few lads being given a chance after last night. Nothing to lose.
I still expect a Danish win and them to have two-thirds of the ball.

If that was a competitive game last night I don't think the Poles would have let us.

While it was a better performance I feel it just papered over the cracks.

I agree some of the lads last night played themselves into serious contention for starting berths.

John Egan done very well in defence and should be given his chance over Clark,

Stevens done well too at left back and should be over Ward. Though if we are to stick with a 3-5-2 would like to see Brady played here

Williams done well but given he is 31 and if we have the likes of Rice * and McCarthy back we'll have better younger options there. (if we use 3-5-2 Rice as part of a back 3 with McCarthy as the anchor in midfield)

O'Dowda done well as part of the midfield 3 last night, given license to drift around he is a clever player who finds pockets to influence the play. Think he is wasted out on the wing for this reason as he doesn't influence as much.

The big conundrum is who to play next to O' Dowda, Hendrick doesn't work here at all if he is ton continue in the team I'd like to see him played in a more advanced role behind the striker like he does for Burnley. That leaves Arter, Hourihane or Brady who have played here for us in the past but none have worked out for one reason or another.

As part of the two up top Aidan O'Brien as stated in his thread certainly gave MON things to think about but I'd say he is still behind Long and quite possibly Maguire in the pecking order.

As stated above I think Hendrick would work better in behind the front man type position McClean has also played for us here but of course not with much great luck.

Team I'd like to see everyone fit and available

----------------------Randolph-----------
-------------Rice-------Egan----Duffy------
--Coleman-------------------------------Brady--
------------------------McCarthy----------------
--------------O'Dowda------------Arter--------
-------------------------Hendrick--------------
-------------------------Long-----------------

Edited by lassassinblanc - 12 Sep 2018 at 11:26am
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:50am
Ireland play their best stuff with a compact 442. Two solid banks of 4 playing a high press.

Team for Denmark.

Randolph

Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens

Long Meyler Hendrick McClean

O'Brien Maguire

Meyler to sit and mark CE.

Long to do the old Walters role under Trap.

When you have a limited side, you have to keep everything simple.

Edited by avfc - 12 Sep 2018 at 11:50am
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:20pm
Last November Denmark were an ordinary team with one really good player. We could have beaten them and qualified.The 1-5 was a bit of a freak and crazy half time substitutions by MON played a big part in it.

I think Denmark have improved massively since then. You could see that in the world cup and even more so against Wales.Expecting them to comfortably beat us home and away.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:38pm
McCarthy hasn't played in two years and has had one good game in four. Williams deserves a chance to prove himself, regardless of McCarthy's fitness. I don't think Egan did enough to warrant the same, he was very poor for the goal.
Agree on Stevens, although I'm still not convinced about Brady anywhere than on the left wing. Again, I think Stevens deserves his chance in the NL.

I think part of our problem for too long has been that why try and pick the eleven players who play for the highest ranked clubs rather than putting together the best team. That mindset pervades through the support as well, there was a post on here counting where the Scottish starting eleven played their club football the other night, for example. Of course it does give some idea of ability, but there are better players playing for lower ranked clubs than higher and players better suited to our system and to international football. That has always been my biggest criticism of MON, he has been very conservative in friendly matches and waits for another manager to buy them for a higher level. Stevens and Maguire being two players that were much better than their previous clubs and deserving of a go in meaningless games.
Look at O'Brien last night, I would never have had him down as good enough but is certainly worth another look. Or playing pool is too small to be dismissing anybody.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:48pm
My team would be (if all fit)

-------------Rice-------Duffy----Clark------
-------------------------Long-------
The only way is up
5678 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Hogan, Maguire or even O'Brien. Long just doesn't score.

Edited by 5678 - 12 Sep 2018 at 2:07pm
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by 5678 5678 wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Hogan, Maguire or even I Brien. Long just doesn't score.

Can include Burke too as players to start ahead of Long
5678 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:07pm
Forgot about Burke
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:09pm
Would defo go with Burke or O'Brien up front 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:35pm
If we play with just 2 in the middle against Denmark we will get crucified. 

I would be tempted to go with the 3-5-2 again, might as well try something new and it seems to suit the players we have available. The biggest loser here is probably James McClean but he could be a good option from the bench.

Too many variables this far out to call a starting XI, will Rice and Arter be back in the squad? Will Brady/McCarthy/Coleman all be fit? If yes you would say all 5 would be starters. I would go with Shane Long up top anyway with one of Maguire/O'Brien alongside him. I don't think this is the game to start Burke, I reckon he could be best used against smaller opposition as he can unlock a defence but isn't the hardest worker.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:37pm
If everyone is fit

Randolph( don't trust him, nobody better)

Coleman

Duffy
Rice
Long

Stevens(Brady?)

Williams
Meyler
O'Dowda

Robinson
Maguire
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:00pm
O'Brien looks more mobile than Burke, which was a big part of our improvement last night. If we're only going for 1 up front vs Denmark, I'd favour O'Brien.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
  Share Topic