You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 32>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think we would be better off in League C, teams around our own level would give us a better chance of developing a system.

Possibly but definitely not better off being third seeds for euro 2020 qualifying
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I think we would be better off in League C, teams around our own level would give us a better chance of developing a system.

Possibly but definitely not better off being third seeds for euro 2020 qualifying

Is there any scenario were we can be relegated but actually remain 2nd seeds?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:43pm
No.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

There is no scenario where I can see us qualifying.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Is it still possible for us to be in the second pot of seeds for the Euro draw? What results would need to get if it is?

A win vs Wales would put us in a healthy enough posistion to finish second and secure pot 2.

Then if they drew with Denmark, we’d only need an away draw against the Danes who would in turn top the group. 

Incorrect, unless we win by three. In your scenario (we beat Wales, Wales draw with Denmark, we draw with Denmark), we all end up on 5 points, and we are bottom on goal difference if we beat Wales by one and head to head if we beat them by two.

If the table is Denmark 5 (+2), Wales 5 (-1) and Ireland 5 (-1), then Denmark win the group and our position re: Wales goes back to head to head, where we would lose, on the basis of being -1 GD if we beat them by two.

We need to win and then hope Denmark beat Wales. Hell, even a Wales win is better for us, because then we would only need a score draw in Denmark to finish second on away goals.
Surely if we be Wales and they draw with Denmark as suggested, then we'd only need a point in Denmark as Wales would finish on 4 and we'd have 5?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Is it still possible for us to be in the second pot of seeds for the Euro draw? What results would need to get if it is?

A win vs Wales would put us in a healthy enough posistion to finish second and secure pot 2.

Then if they drew with Denmark, we’d only need an away draw against the Danes who would in turn top the group. 

Incorrect, unless we win by three. In your scenario (we beat Wales, Wales draw with Denmark, we draw with Denmark), we all end up on 5 points, and we are bottom on goal difference if we beat Wales by one and head to head if we beat them by two.

If the table is Denmark 5 (+2), Wales 5 (-1) and Ireland 5 (-1), then Denmark win the group and our position re: Wales goes back to head to head, where we would lose, on the basis of being -1 GD if we beat them by two.

We need to win and then hope Denmark beat Wales. Hell, even a Wales win is better for us, because then we would only need a score draw in Denmark to finish second on away goals.
Surely if we be Wales and they draw with Denmark as suggested, then we'd only need a point in Denmark as Wales would finish on 4 and we'd have 5?

Oh feck you're right! I don't know why I thought that would leave them on 5.

They have 3 right now, after 2 games, a win and a loss. I thought those results would leave it 5, 5, 5, but of course they'd leave it 6, 5, 4.

But if we head into the last game v Denmark with the table as Denmark 5, Wales 4, Ireland 4, I wouldn't be holding my breath on us getting the draw we'd need.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:10pm
Denmark and France were happy to play out a bore nil all match during the group stages of the WC when both knew they were into the next round.
I would be happy to take that nil all draw again.
The dark side.. And the light
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Oh feck you're right! I don't know why I thought that would leave them on 5.

They have 3 right now, after 2 games, a win and a loss. I thought those results would leave it 5, 5, 5, but of course they'd leave it 6, 5, 4.

But if we head into the last game v Denmark with the table as Denmark 5, Wales 4, Ireland 4, I wouldn't be holding my breath on us getting the draw we'd need.
True, and I'm not holding my breath thinking we'll have the 4 points going into that game either!
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:27pm
Would like to see

Randolph
       Doherty Duffy Long Stevens
           Arter O'Dowda Williams
          Robinson Long McClean
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:48pm
Predicting MON's lineup to be:

Randolph

Keogh Duffy Long 
Doherty                                 Stevens
          Arter Christie McClean

Hendrick

Long

Edited by grannyrule - 15 Oct 2018 at 3:49pm
The only way is up
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:56pm
The perfect O'Neill performance would be something like

- no need for possession, as you might lose the ball in a dangerous area
long balls to a lone striker, to keep the ball as far away from our goal as possible
- time waste wherever possible 
- create 1 clear cut chance, and score it

So that means a man-of-the-match performance from Duffy. A leader on the field who wins every tackle and then scores a header from a set-piece.

But that type of performance is very unlikely at this stage.

So the most likely result is a 1-1 draw after another stultifying game.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:56pm
            Randolph 
Christie Duffy Long Stevens 
          Arter Williams
Robinson Hendrick McClean
              Maguire

This is the best we can hope for tomorrow night. 

Hendrick and McClean are undroppable in Martin’s eyes. 

Doherty didn’t do enough (because we weren’t set up to use him) to convince Martin he should play again and will be dropped. 

Long won’t be fit - because those two clowns left him on for far longer than they needed to. He wasnt fit enough for 70/80 minutes of football. It was bizzare to leave him on to battle for as long as they did. 

Keogh will be dropped despite being captain on Saturday, because O’Neill likes to disrupt the team and shock people as much as possible. 

If MON gets the midfield right then we’ll win this game and he’ll keep his job.

He will not get away with playing Christie in midfield twice in a row. 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:00pm
hope we get tanked i really do. 5-0 has to be enough to get rid of this dreadfully annoying manager
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:01pm

Randolph 
Christie Duffy Long Stevens 
          Arter Williams
Robinson Hendrick McClean
              Maguire

This is the best we can hope for tomorrow night. 

Hendrick and McClean are undroppable in Martin’s eyes. 

Doherty didn’t do enough (because we weren’t set up to use him) to convince Martin he should play again and will be dropped. 

Long won’t be fit - because those two clowns left him on for far longer than they needed to. He wasnt fit enough for 70/80 minutes of football. It was bizzare to leave him on to battle for as long as they did. 

Keogh will be dropped despite being captain on Saturday, because O’Neill likes to disrupt the team and shock people as much as possible. 

If MON gets the midfield right then we’ll win this game and he’ll keep his job.

He will not get away with playing Christie in midfield twice in a row. 

That team makes far too much sense. You need Christie and McClean anchoring that midfield.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:46pm
Since it's a must win game we will see the lads whipped up and come out full of energy and huff and puff. We will probably win due to Wales absentees and their manager being the Steve Staunton of Wales.  We will play ugly but scrap a win that will keep the dinosaur in the job for another few years.Dead
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Would like to see

Randolph
       Doherty Duffy Long Stevens
           Arter O'Dowda Williams
          Robinson Long McClean

o'dowda is out
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:50pm
I would pick

Randolph; Keogh Duffy K Long; Doherty Williams Arter Stevens; Hendrick; S Long (O'Brien if not fit) Robinson

I think MON will find a way to get mcclean and Christie in the team

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Since it's a must win game we will see the lads whipped up and come out full of energy and huff and puff. We will probably win due to Wales absentees and their manager being the Steve Staunton of Wales.  We will play ugly but scrap a win that will keep the dinosaur in the job for another few years.Dead

Harsh to compare him to Steve S. He could very well be a decent manager. We can't take much from the spanking but I'm sure he is tactically more tuned in than MON. 

In fact I'm to going to say that 95% of lads on this forum have more of a clue that MON. 

I read a comment earlier that said - I hope we are hammered. I can honestly say I would never want this. Being an Irish football supporter is grim at the best of times but winning just makes you feel good, makes the trip worthwhile and lifts everyone. 

Driving home from Dublin after the 5-1 hammering was one of the worst journeys of my life. Literally didn't even turn on the radio. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 32>
  Share Topic