You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Portugal match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Frank the Tank Frank the Tank wrote:

Anyone recommend parking within walking distance of the stadium? Doesn't have to be super close but close enough that I'm not having to walk half an hour to the car after the match in the rain.

Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 8:44pm
Usually park around the side/back of the mespil hotel as it's handy for me travelling southbound afterwards, however this time around I'm staying in swords before heading to the airport so will be hopping to find something on the shelbourne park side of the stadium.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

no. 
Thanks
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Frank the Tank View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank the Tank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Frank the Tank Frank the Tank wrote:

Anyone recommend parking within walking distance of the stadium? Doesn't have to be super close but close enough that I'm not having to walk half an hour to the car after the match in the rain.

https://forum.ybig.ie/parking-near-the-aviva_topic29705_page2. - https://forum.ybig.ie/parking-near-the-aviva_topic29705_page2.html

Thanks a million!
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 12:00am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Interesting that it seemingly doesn't matter much to Portugal whether they win or draw this game, as long as they don't lose it. Means that, if we can stay with them for 70-75 both teams might settle for the point as it serves both teams needs (gives us a shot at third, gives them a shot at winning the group). 

So a point seems a very realistic target here.

If I remember rightly that was the case the last time they came to Dublin for a qualifier also (2001), they just needed a point to set them up to win the group and got the point they needed.

Ronaldo and co. aren’t coming to Dublin to be happy with a draw. That’s not how it works. They’ll allow Ireland to have plenty of the ball and will just pick away at us on the break. Portugal have midfielders that could put a ball in a fellas pocket from 50 yards away, once they win the ball tomorrow just watch how quick they’ll move it. They’re a good side who played poorly in Faro let’s be honest.

This is a huge test for Ireland but they’ll fancy themselves to get a result. Any kind of a result would be brilliant and the optimist in me is going for the shock result of 1-1.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 2:02am
Are you allowed bring your cat into the game?
It would damage this forums' reputation
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Suppose if it's owned by CR7
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 6:25am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Just hope they don't throw Coleman back in at CB if Omobamidele fails his fitness test.

I'm expecting this now tbh
Doherty & McClean the wingbacks

A 3 point Ireland victory please

Yep I'm thinking the same. It will be Coleman in at CB, it accomodates Doherty and McClean. Same back 5 that started against Azeri. I was there that day and it was bloddy depressing! Not looking forward to tomorrow as mich anymore...

Collins could be a better option to deal with Ronaldo's threat in the air than Coleman was in the previous game. That's not a slight on Coleman, it's just that Ronaldo can outjump most defenders with that type of clipped cross, and Collins is as big as Duffy in that sense.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Suppose if it's owned by CR7
I'm not sure if Callum Robinson owns any cats?
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:46am
What's the excitement levels like for people? I think the fact that we're out of contention reduces it a little bit for me, the result isn't as important as if we were still fighting for a playoff.

That said, the Irish team have really turned around the narrative in the past few games, so I'm excited to see what that looks like in person, and also what it transforms to in terms of an atmosphere with a full house.

Also looking forward to being back in a packed Aviva again. Another sign we're closer to normality. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:54am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Interesting that it seemingly doesn't matter much to Portugal whether they win or draw this game, as long as they don't lose it. Means that, if we can stay with them for 70-75 both teams might settle for the point as it serves both teams needs (gives us a shot at third, gives them a shot at winning the group). 

So a point seems a very realistic target here.

If I remember rightly that was the case the last time they came to Dublin for a qualifier also (2001), they just needed a point to set them up to win the group and got the point they needed.

Ronaldo and co. aren’t coming to Dublin to be happy with a draw. That’s not how it works. They’ll allow Ireland to have plenty of the ball and will just pick away at us on the break. Portugal have midfielders that could put a ball in a fellas pocket from 50 yards away, once they win the ball tomorrow just watch how quick they’ll move it. They’re a good side who played poorly in Faro let’s be honest.

This is a huge test for Ireland but they’ll fancy themselves to get a result. Any kind of a result would be brilliant and the optimist in me is going for the shock result of 1-1.

If it's level late in the game they're not going to go gung ho looking for a winner here any more than any other team, they'll be sensible enough to know that not losing the game is more important than winning it if it comes to it. Same as Figo and co did in 2001. Naive to think otherwise to be honest.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:54am
Unfortunately I don’t think hourihan is the answer to any m/f problem these days. He’ll be sent back in Jan. Egan had looked shaky for a while now. Sheffield Utd starting to look v stale. He’s not young anymore, likewise stevens. 
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:58am
points aren’t what we are about anymore, Kenny has seen to that by having us knocked out if the competition after 4 games. We need performances & consistency. And goals and no mistakes or soft goals. If we achieve some of those hopefully the outcome will be fine. But hanging on for a point is zero value to us.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:58am
Just hope we aren't in for crash back down to earth. Pray we can keep the momentum up and be positive on the pitch. Massive game, regardless of the fact we are out of contention.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:04am
lol don’t think Portugal will allow us to have plenty of the ball. If they do try that they’ll just be getting it back whether they like it or not. The difference in class between both squads is massive. But we’re the home team and hopefully can do better than the home Serbia game when we were dominated. Big test for the lads.
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:13am
10 year anniversary of the away leg playoff against Estonia - they finished with 9 men that night, would be good to see a couple of Portuguese taking early baths tonight!!

Nothing to lose tonight - on paper these should be beating us handy enough, even more so that the element of surprise we had in Faro is gone + the player who did most of the damage, Connolly, isn’t even in our squad - don’t know if we have the pace to hurt them in behind and can’t see us playing through them so hard to see us being much of a threat. 

Like everyone else I’m just excited to be going to a game in a full stadium again! 

tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

10 year anniversary of the away leg playoff against Estonia - they finished with 9 men that night, would be good to see a couple of Portuguese taking early baths tonight!!

Nothing to lose tonight - on paper these should be beating us handy enough, even more so that the element of surprise we had in Faro is gone + the player who did most of the damage, Connolly, isn’t even in our squad - don’t know if we have the pace to hurt them in behind and can’t see us playing through them so hard to see us being much of a threat. 

Like everyone else I’m just excited to be going to a game in a full stadium again! 

People were going crazy looking for tickets for that one too. Was a great trip apart from the crazy decision (by me} to come back via a 10 hour layover Norway. I think I spent more in molde in a few hours than I spent in Tallinn in 3 days.

Some lad was walking around the airport in Oslo with Delaneys tie on his head, he was the lucky fella who caught it when Johnno threw it into the crowd. Must be worth money now..... Ha ha. 
Let Christy Take It.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:18am
Oma is out Cry

Horgan doesnt make the cut. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic