You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Portugal match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:05am
Just read back the thread from the start of the match.

Worse than Liam Brady on here. Maybe go to the match and see us play really well instead of posting on a forum during the play. We were excellent tonight
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Just read back the thread from the start of the match.

Worse than Liam Brady on here. Maybe go to the match and see us play really well instead of posting on a forum during the play. We were excellent tonight

I was at the match, we played well but it was still an opportunity lost tonight.  Portugal turned up expecting to turn us over, we didn't let them but we should have gone on to win 
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:27am
Didn’t get to go this evening but I thought the Irish performance was excellent. The first couple of mins there were a few challenges thrown in that seemed to upset Ronaldo and he spent the entire game more or less bitching and moaning. Bruno Fernandes was terrible and they didn’t click. To be fair, that was due to how well Ireland played. Some good passing and nearly all our lads looked comfortable on the ball which is not something we’re used to seeing.

I thought Doherty was very good when he got on the ball, always looking forward and a bit more composure in the final third from our lads and we could have created that one clear cut chance that was needed to nick the win. No way was that a foul on the keeper at the end for the disallowed goal. He tried to shove Keane who stood his ground. The sooner the over protective approach to keepers is done away with the better. Nobody can go anywhere near a keeper and it’s a foul no matter what.

I’ll wait to see results for the next few competitive games before making a call on Stephen Kenny. I’m not a huge fan of his but I have to say I’m impressed with the last few results, regardless of the opposition. Tonight’s performance was a serious step up from what we’ve seen before and to be fair to him, he hasn’t had much luck with injuries/COVID and empty stadiums.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:47am
Good  point tonight against a very aging Portugal team. Funny the  same result as the game against  Serbia who played us off the park. Still don't believe we will ever qualify with this style of football which I think is coming to an end. 442 seems to be back in vogue, so it seems to me that we are going to arrive at the party for the last dance...

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

You could buy our whole squad and probably get change from the fee paid for Joao Felix who was on the bench. 

Hendrick isn’t playing much at club level, neither is Doherty. Ogbene and Bazunu playing League 1, McGrath in the Scottish league.

To not only match, but probably outplay (slightly) Portugal is a good night. Some excellent performances.

The lack of perspective by some of our fans is ridiculous. Kenny deserved plenty of criticism in the beginning but what more can you expect from tonight? (obviously that question isn't aimed at you Het)

Edited by Artie Ziff - 12 Nov 2021 at 1:49am
It would damage this forums' reputation
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 6:25am

You could buy our whole squad and probably get change from the fee paid for Joao Felix who was on the bench. 

Hendrick isn’t playing much at club level, neither is Doherty. Ogbene and Bazunu playing League 1, McGrath in the Scottish league.

To not only match, but probably outplay (slightly) Portugal is a good night. Some excellent performances.

Good sense of perspective there Het spot on. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:17am
LOL Laughable to see the critics on here giving off about our performance last night, we went toe to toe with one of the top sides in Europe! There wasn’t a fan at the match last night disappointed with our performance.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Good  point tonight against a very aging Portugal team. Funny the  same result as the game against  Serbia who played us off the park. Still don't believe we will ever qualify with this style of football which I think is coming to an end. 442 seems to be back in vogue, so it seems to me that we are going to arrive at the party for the last dance...

I can't think of any top sides playing 442, what makes you say it's back in vogue? and what sort of side would you pick in a 442 for Ireland? Would 100% be weaker in that formation, strange point to me

Thought we were great 2nd half. Played some nice stuff to get out of Portugal's press in that 2nd half, struggled with it in the first half without a doubt. Cullen my MOTM but could've been given to Duffy or Egan as well I felt they were both great. Coleman is a leader but I don't think RCB suits him to be honest. Didn't like the subs as we needed legs in the middle of the park and I don't think Hourihane gives you that, but with Pepe getting sent off it worked out. 

The naysayers didn't rate the point against Serbia because we were played off the park, now they don't rate the point against Portugal because the Portuguese were keeping their powder dry apparently, they don't rate the win against Azerbaijan because we should be doing that anyway, no matter the result in Lux it doesn't matter to them it seems to me.

There's been a few on here that were very critical of Kenny but in fairness I have seen acknowledge the good work the last two windows, but there are others that will never be happy from what I can tell.

Lads like McGrath having that experience now home & away to Portugal, you can't put a price on that for campaigns going forward. Absolutely delighted, let's go and get the win on Sunday now
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:04am
Good performance and a draw was the least we deserved.  

Most important is the fact that we are evolving into a mixed style of play.  I don’t go to Ireland games to be entertained but it was obvious for a long time that the long ball game didn’t work.  It just gives the ball back to the other team, unless you have a really dominant target man. Equally though, we will not outdo continental teams purely with tippy tappy football.  We need our own style, combining playing it out from the back, the occasional long ball to keep them guessing, running off the ball to give options, pressing, organisation and sheer hard graft.  When the keeper gets the ball he needs to have multiple options, including a 40 yard ball to a wing back.  I think we are getting there after a slow start.  

I would be happy to see Kenny get a new contract for Euro 2024 at this stage.  There are still some reservations but on balance he has done enough.  

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL Laughable to see the critics on here giving off about our performance last night, we went toe to toe with one of the top sides in Europe! There wasn’t a fan at the match last night disappointed with our performance.

Well said that man.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:38am
Only minor peeve I had were the spells where we passed it around our 6-yard box for the sake of it when we were never realistically going to play our way out of there. Sometimes you need to play the percentages.

It was the same spell where Bazunu was exchanging passes that got progressively less assured.

Save for Ronaldo's header from Silva's cross, that he arguably should've scored, I can't think of many chances we ceded. We also cut down on the number of crosses from the last day, while remaining competitive going forward ourselves - I'm thinking Robinson's cross to Ogbene, the chance from Duffy's header that fell right at Robinson's feet, the goalmouth scramble and the tame Cullen shot.

I questioned the selection of Coleman at CB and Stevens, and I lamented the absence of Idah, but to be fair to Kenny, both Robinson and Ogbene grew into the game while Idah made a strong impact off the bench.

Elsewhere, Coleman got the measure of Ronaldo and looked extremely comfortable paired with Duffy and Egan.

Stevens was inconsistent. Some great passes mixed with awful touches. Did well with Egan down the left and made himself an option, or tried to, down the channel.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:26pm

Stat from OTB AM this morning, and a bit of a rebuttal to Brady's "B" team nonsense (yes they were resting players, but again, their subs would probably walk into our starting XI).

Total transfer fees for the Portugal team - 611m GBP.
Total for us - 61m GBP.

Nelson Semedo's total transfer fees are more than our entire team.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:39pm
It’s remarkable. But it is worth noting. I think in time the likes of Obamadele, Collins, Kelleher, Idah, Bazunu, Ogbene, etc will all enhance the value of the squad as they improve and hopefully obtain lucrative transfers.

But the likes of Duffy, Stevens, Coleman, Doherty, Hendrick, Robinson, and Doherty really have their value mapped out. While the likes of Will Keane and McClean are already in League 1 as slightly aged players.

I think we are short a talisman, the cooperation of players like Duffy and Coleman bring leadership (but it’s a combination), and we don’t have an established striker who is an obvious danger man (Robinson is our most dangerous looking).

The “B Team” argument doesn’t really wash with me, and it is often used to explain away decent results. The exception being the 2017 win over Wales who were minus Bale, and lost Allen early, and at that point both terms were much of a muchness.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:07pm
Big plus for me is our defence. Only four goals conceded in the last seven games and two of those were Ronaldo specials.

This should be a major help in the Euro qualifiers. If we can keep things tight, we will be competitive at the very least and will not face a scenario of being eliminated early, as happened in this WC group.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Big plus for me is our defence. Only four goals conceded in the last seven games and two of those were Ronaldo specials.

This should be a major help in the Euro qualifiers. If we can keep things tight, we will be competitive at the very least and will not face a scenario of being eliminated early, as happened in this WC group.

Agreed and we have pretty good depth across our Back 6 to boot. We look to be very strong in this Department moving forward, so I think we should and will stick with the current 3 CB formation.
Baz/Kelleher/Travers
Doherty/Coleman/Ogbene?
Stevens/McClean/Manning
O'Shea/Omabamidele/Dunne
Duffy/Collins/Lenihan
Egan/Clark/Scales

Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:14pm
Yeah its really solid. The Kenny naysayers have gone very quiet about that (they were previously using that as a major stick to beat him with "We are conceeding a goal every game")

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 Nov 2021 at 1:15pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Yeah its really solid. The Kenny naysayers have gone very quiet about that (they were previously using that as a major stick to beat him with "We are conceeding a goal every game")
Don’t worry Andy they’ll continue to move the goalposts to continue their personal nonsense with him. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:16pm
Anyone know why last nights game was available to watch on RTE in the north on Sky?
Usually they’re not available 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic