You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Portugal match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland v Portugal match thread
    Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 9:53am
Tomorrow night at Lansdowne Rd.

Live on RTE2 and sky.

19.45 ko. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
With Coleman and Stevens back, it's going to be interesting to see what way we line up at the back. I can't see either of them getting more than 45 minutes given their fitness.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:11am
Would be massive for Kenny to pick something off here. He was unlucky in September not to already have that result secured. I suspect Portugal might adjust in order to counter what they saw in Faro.

On the whole, the team picks itself and if they turn in two decent performances over the next two days, I think the start to the Kenny era will have been deemed to be fruitful.
drogcam View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drogcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
                                            Bazunu

Omobamidele   Duffy     Egan
Coleman                                                            Doherty

Cullen                   Hendrick

McGrath

Robinson                    Idah

Roughly how I think we'll line up. Although Kenny has thrown up some surprising selections in games so who knows. Robinson might have a fairly free role compared to Idah
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

With Coleman and Stevens back, it's going to be interesting to see what way we line up at the back. I can't see either of them getting more than 45 minutes given their fitness.

Only fitness issue Coleman has is he can't start back to back games. Will probably start against Portugal and won't play against Luxembourg or vice versa. Don't know what fitness issues Stevens has as he's played 90mins week in week out which included mid week games since coming back from injury.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Only fitness issue Coleman has is he can't start back to back games. Will probably start against Portugal and won't play against Luxembourg or vice versa. Don't know what fitness issues Stevens has as he's played 90mins week in week out which included mid week games since coming back from injury.

I didn't realise he's back starting, great to see it Clap
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:42am

Stevens and Egan in patchy form at club level by all accounts.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:42am
Buzzing to get down to a full house at Lansdowne again Clap
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
Can't wait 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Stevens and Egan in patchy form at club level by all accounts.

Sheffield United are very poor this season. Too soft and easy to dominate in midfield which puts extra pressure on the defence and they miss Jack O'Connell in defence.

Could see them cutting Hourihane's loan short if possible as he's the complete opposite to what they need in midfield to try turn this around.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:44am
We have nothing to lose and hopefully we give a performance but let's not forget this is a great Portugal team who have one or the top players in the world who can score a goal almost out of anywhere 

Can't wait to go and if I recall is this the first sell out event of any kind since the pandemic ?

Edited by Healy52003 - 10 Nov 2021 at 11:49am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:45am

Why can't he start back to back games?

The issue with players being unable to start back to back games is because they were not playing for their clubs. This is what Kenny alluded too after the defeat to Luxembourg.

Unless Coleman picks up a knock against Portugal, he will play both games.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:47am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The issue with players being unable to start back to back games is because they were not playing for their clubs. This is what Kenny alluded too after the defeat to Luxembourg.

I think he started Everton’s last two games and played full game
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kenny has said he might not be able to start back to back games in four days because of the hamstring issues he's had lately. Four hamstring injuries in the last year I think is what was said. Last one coming when he started back to back games in a few days for us.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 12:32pm
Interesting that it seemingly doesn't matter much to Portugal whether they win or draw this game, as long as they don't lose it. Means that, if we can stay with them for 70-75 both teams might settle for the point as it serves both teams needs (gives us a shot at third, gives them a shot at winning the group). 

So a point seems a very realistic target here.

If I remember rightly that was the case the last time they came to Dublin for a qualifier also (2001), they just needed a point to set them up to win the group and got the point they needed.

Edited by You Tell Me - 10 Nov 2021 at 12:33pm
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by drogcam drogcam wrote:

Bazunu

Omobamidele   Duffy     Egan
Coleman                                                            Doherty

Cullen                   Hendrick

McGrath

Robinson                    Idah

Roughly how I think we'll line up. Although Kenny has thrown up some surprising selections in games so who knows. Robinson might have a fairly free role compared to Idah

This is the team I'd pick too but Kenny does like McClean and he does bring a left footed option to that side of the pitch. I wouldnt be surprised to see Coleman/Doherty drop out.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 1:04pm
                        Bazunu 
          Duffy Egan Omobamidele 
Coleman                                Doherty 

Hendrick Cullen 
                       Mcgrath 

Knight
                     Robinson

Doherty should get the nod over Stevens and mcclean in my opinion.

Knight in for Idah for extra legs in the midfield but played further up the field than the other midfielders 

Robinson High up the pitch to run in behind.

Gosh - this management stuff is a doddle.LOL
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Bazunu 
          Duffy Egan Omobamidele 
Coleman                                Doherty 

Hendrick Cullen 
                       Mcgrath 

Knight
                     Robinson

Doherty should get the nod over Stevens and mcclean in my opinion.

Knight in for Idah for extra legs in the midfield but played further up the field than the other midfielders 

Robinson High up the pitch to run in behind.

Gosh - this management stuff is a doddle.LOL

Idah will almost certainly play after his effort against Portugal the last day.    Robinson and McGrath in behind him. Doherty will play LWB I think. After that the team picks itself I feel. 

Big test for Kenny this but I think we can put up a decent show. Beating Luxembourg and getting a result or at least rattiling Portugal would be a good step in the right direction with a view to the Nations League!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic