You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Luxembourg Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Jack Taylor called up to replace Molumby.

Good to hear, I have liked what I have seen of this lad - I'd actually have him ahead of Molumby in the pecking order in any case.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:44pm
I don't see the impetus for another midfield call-up TBH. 11th ranked best player at one of the worst teams in the division. Slow adaptation to life in the Championship. 

Out of the Peterborough lads, I would've thought Szmodics might offer something relatively unique to our strengths.

As for Taylor/Molumby, on your bike. Molumby was integral to a Millwall team that hovered around the playoff positions for a whole season. Now he's impressing when he gets a chance at a hugely competitive West Brom team.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:48pm
I like Jack Taylor, impressed that Kenny wants to give him a chance
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I don't see the impetus for another midfield call-up TBH. 11th ranked best player at one of the worst teams in the division. Slow adaptation to life in the Championship. 

Out of the Peterborough lads, I would've thought Szmodics might offer something relatively unique to our strengths.

As for Taylor/Molumby, on your bike. Molumby was integral to a Millwall team that hovered around the playoff positions for a whole season. Now he's impressing when he gets a chance at a hugely competitive West Brom team.

I havent been impressed by Molumby in his limited appearances for WBA, plenty of running power and not a lot else that I can see. Tbf to the lad I didnt see much of him at Millwall, but I have never been impressed by him in a green shirt either. A card magnet and an accident waiting to happen. Good energy but a tad reckless and not particularly impressive on the ball. He certainly needs to nail down a first team spot and improve to put himself in to the reckoning for an Irish start. He currently lacks the discipline to hold a midfield and I'm not sure he offers enough going forward for the box to box role.
Idah Dream!
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:35pm
I genuinely think his job hinges on this game. If he wins I think he’ll get a new contract. If we don’t win and finish 4th, I think the FAI will sack him. Jonathan Hill really emphasised that they will judge this campaign as a whole. I really hope we win this game as I see the progress in performance levels in last few games. Luxembourg are a decent side this will be tough. I watched the game against Azerbaijan and they played them off the park. Rodrigues and Thill are ballers. 

Edited by AonSceal19 - 12 Nov 2021 at 11:36pm
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 12:25am
I'd like to see something like this:

Idah
           Robinson Knight
Stevens Cullen Browne Doherty
          Egan Duffy Collins
                Kelleher

Might still see Coleman start, but Collins is well up for it.
Kelleher hasn't played competitively for us yet, that should be rectified now and not let drag on until June, again, he's well up for it.
Browne in for Hendrick who ran himself into the ground last night, his first game since the Qatar, unlikely to be recovered. Browne is match fit & apparently in good form recently (and is better in attack than Hendrick).

Would like to see Manning off the bench this time, we need to continue building his experience as Stevens & McClean aren't getting any younger.

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:51am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

I genuinely think his job hinges on this game. If he wins I think he’ll get a new contract. If we don’t win and finish 4th, I think the FAI will sack him. Jonathan Hill really emphasised that they will judge this campaign as a whole. I really hope we win this game as I see the progress in performance levels in last few games. Luxembourg are a decent side this will be tough. I watched the game against Azerbaijan and they played them off the park. Rodrigues and Thill are ballers. 

From what I've read the majority of the 12 board members are in favor of retaining Kenny. Packie Bonner is the only one I've heard that doesn't fancy him.

If they're to judge the campaign as a whole they do also have to take into account (or should take into account) the issues outside of managements control such as

1. The loss of 2 dozen players due to Covid related issues at various stages of the campaign.
2. International windows being changed from 2 games to 3 games in 6 days.
3. The loss of fans at stadiums.
4. The outside interference and loss of backroom team between the departures of Duff, Kelly and Higgins.

You then also have to factor in the radical overhaul of the squad following retirements, injuries and players just getting on..

McGoldrick, McCarthy, Randolph, Brady, Arter, Long are just the ones under his reign that have departed, were largely unavailable and/or have been (or in the process of being) phased out.

Then you've to consider their replacements that were brought in, debuts given to

Kelleher, Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Knight, McGrath, Molumby, Ogbene, Idah, Manning and Keane.

While others like Parrott, Connolly, Traver sand Cullen were given their initial caps under McCarthy but given their biggest chances under Kenny.

Its nowhere near as black and white as looking at just the results and position in table and I dont think they'll be as silly do to so.

Anyway.

Id like to see largely an unchanged team for Sunday.

Bazunu
       Omobamidele  Duffy  Egan
Coleman   Cullen    Hendrick   Doherty
              Ogbene      Robinson
                         Idah

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Jack Taylor called up to replace Molumby.
Who Angry
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:57am
the game is a dead rubber. give kenny his contract and let him build for the future. now is the time to start developing and blooding players for the future.
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 2:51am
"Id like to see largely an unchanged team for Sunday.

Bazunu
       Omobamidele  Duffy  Egan
Coleman   Cullen    Hendrick   Doherty
              Ogbene      Robinson
                         Idah"

I imagine there is an expectation by Everton that Coleman will be rested on Sunday. By all accounts his hamstring might not hold up with back to back games.
In that case keep Doherty on the right, and I suppose Stevens on the left, tho' he had a lot of iffy moments against Portual.
If we play Idah as the 9, the big call is between McGrath and Ogbene. I would start with McGrath.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 5:40am
Coleman was excellent against Portugal. I understand Evertons expectations that he should be rested but if I'm Kenny; I want 3rd place so I'm starting Coleman. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:43am
Everton don’t play until next Sunday so I don’t see their expectation - if we were playing sat / tues I’d have more sympathy but he’ll have a full weeks rest. It’s not like they have big europa conference games coming up.

Keep the same starting 11 as much as possible but if players are carrying knocks or the fitness metrics suggest they will not perform at required level bring someone else in.  Or if the manager wants to bring Collins or Andrew  O. back in grand. Sheffield United have a lot of games coming up so giving Egan a rest might make sense considering he came back from a bad injury and played lots of games since.

Maybe freshen the front 3 with Idah in for Ogbene. Keane first sub off the bench.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:06am
                     Bazunu             
  collins,          duffy,          egan

Doherty                               Steven's 
        cullen            Hendrick              

Knight           Robinson 

Idah 

That with Coleman not able for 2 games in a few days

Edited by aviva8 - 13 Nov 2021 at 8:08am
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:27am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Bazunu             

Idah 

I like that team, except for Stevens. Thought he had a poor game and doesn't deserve to retain his place. McClean for me. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

the game is a dead rubber. give kenny his contract and let him build for the future. now is the time to start developing and blooding players for the future.

He's literally spent the whole campaign blooding players in. It's time to start delivering results. The team needs to know how to win games.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Bazunu             

Idah 

I like that team, except for Stevens. Thought he had a poor game and doesn't deserve to retain his place. McClean for me. 

When mcclean came on he was far worse than Stevens. Gave away the ball so many times. 

I'd go for that team but with Keane instead of idah 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 12:17pm

Anything but a dead rubber. We need to finish third and show the improvement over the last year. Ranking points at stake too. 

I expect we will play the strongest team available. 

I predict a 2-0 win. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Anything but a dead rubber. We need to finish third and show the improvement over the last year. Ranking points at stake too. 

I expect we will play the strongest team available. 

I predict a 2-0 win. 

Agreed. Dead rubber my hole.
Important we get a result 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic