You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Latvia match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:15am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Jeez there are some angry people on here.

Thought Smallbone and Ferguson were very good, enjoyed Johnston’s cameo! 

An enjoyable match to watch, never in my life did I think I would say that talking about an Ireland friendly.

Also cheers to the protestors at Dublin tunnel, only managed to grab one quick pint before the match Cry

Cheers, nice to see somebody else with a positive take on the night's events. 
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Originally posted by TheFieldsOfAthenry TheFieldsOfAthenry wrote:

I appreciate tonight was a boring friendly but the atmosphere was dreadful. I couldn't believe the amount of families who bought tickets only to have their kids playing on phones and iPads for the entire 90 minutes. I appreciate for some it's probably cheaper than getting someone to mind them but it just seems a total waste of a seat when they clearly have zero interest in the game. Atmosphere needs to be much better on Monday

I brought my son so he could experience it and maybe enjoy it. Nothing about childminding, there were loads of free seats and surely a sub-capacity friendly is the time to try it out. 

He was bored and wanted to go at half time (though somehow also being very excited about having gone and looking forward to bringing programme to school the next day). After running out of jellies to buy minutes with, watching youtube on the phone was the only way I could make it to see the 90. He volunteered to be counted out of the France match (wasn't going anyway). 

I was also trying to join in chants more than any of the kid-free people around me. Yes atmosphere was totally cr@p but ire is misdirected.
If he got bored watching a game with 5 goals, imagine what he would have been like during Autumn 2018! LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:17am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Enter Sandman when the teams come out Clap

Loved it!
Idah Dream!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:41am
Plenty of positives. But the same old groundhogs day issues under Stephen Kenny. Whomever takes over next will reap his work. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Plenty of positives. But the same old groundhogs day issues under Stephen Kenny. Whomever takes over next will reap his work. 

Likely, but hopefully not. We certainly have the guts of a decent team emerging. The two full debutantes tonight looked well up to it, and even Johnston who I had doubts over delivered a tasty cameo.
Idah Dream!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:53am
There is a good first 11 with some reasonable back up players. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:03am

There is a good first 11 with some reasonable back up players. 

We agree at least on that and it is a very young first XI too for the most part! Another World Cup in the US of A would be quite an adventure, it is not beyond the realms and imo we look a lot closer to that being a realistic possibility than we did 2 years ago!
Idah Dream!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:04am
Just needs the right manager for that to happen Tongue
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:10am

Just needs the right manager for that to happen Tongue

That may well be the case my friend, but if it is, then I do hope the FAI find some kind of a role for Kenny. I like the guy and think he cares passionately about Irish football, it would be a shame to see him cut entirely loose. Still hoping he can turn it around!
Idah Dream!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 5:37am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Loved it!

Great tune but the timing of it when it gets cut short for the presidential greeting and anthems is strange. 

Has to be said again how sh*te our anthem is for sporting events.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 6:55am

Loved it!

A great addition, need to blare it out on Monday.... Though it will probably be replaced with generic uefa music 
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:47am
Also thought having that women sing the anthem was a great addition that will have the place rocking Monday 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:57am

Also thought having that women sing the anthem was a great addition that will have the place rocking Monday 

Cracking voice.

Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:05am
with a full stadium singing along that works really well, but will the f**kers get out of the bar?
No Pasaran!
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:19am

Loved it!

I disagree, it's not going to take off. I think Zombie could work. I thought the anthem was too slow with her singing it, bring back the band
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:20am

No it wasn’t it was far too bloody slow - any time they get a solo singer to sing it’s an ego trip for them and they think they are Whitney Houston 

Pleasently surprised as the rest of the music was decent 

Crowd was decent about 35k though they announced 41 k

Some plus points on he pitch as others have said - roll on Monday more in hope than expectation 

Oh and is the any chance of our keeper launching a long quick ball given they we have a bit of pace - just once ffs

Edited by Newryrep - 23 Mar 2023 at 8:32am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:57am

Ringing endorsement.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:42am

Just back from the game and I come on here, 30 posts ripping into Kenny, 30 posts ripping into Kelleher, not one post on Smallbone, excellent debut.

The posters who don't bother their hole going to the game are usually the ones most vocal in their criticism.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic