You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v France match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:03am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Can't wait for this game - I'd like to see a little bit of pragmatism in our approach and would go with the following:

Bazunu
                       Collins         Egan      O' Shea        
              Coleman                                       O' Dowda
                           Knight     Cullen     Molumby
                                      Smallbone  
                                      Ferguson

The only issue I have with that team is O'Dowda - he is not a good defender, even last night, where he played well going forward, some of his defensive positioning was very poor. Coman will make mincemeat of him. Has to be either Doherty or Mc Clean at LWB imo.

I also thought Obafemi did well last night, but maybe it's best to finish the game with him on the pitch rather than start him.

I get the point regarding O'Dowda, but the issue there is that neither McClean or Doherty are up to much defensively either. There isn't an easy fix for that position unfortunately. Away in France it might be worth considering putting a centre back out there and basically play a flat back five to batten down the hatches, but we shouldn't be doing that at home and I couldn't see Kenny trying it on Monday.

It will be O'Dowda or McClean I'd say. Not much between them to be honest.

I'd personally go Doherty (assuming Coleman is fit), Mc Clean, O'Dowda in that order. O'Dowda is the least defensively capable in my view, although none fill me with confidence. Coman does  lot of his best work cutting inside so for that reason, the right footed Doherty may be the best option. It's a tough call for the manager, but O'Dowda has no defensive instincts whatsoever and is the least experienced of the 3 playing the role.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Probable french line up from l'equipe for the Holland game:

<span style="color: rgb29, 29, 27; font-family: DINNextLTPro-Regular, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; : rgb238, 238, 238;">Maignan - Koundé, Konaté, Upamecano, T. Hernandez - Griezmann, Tchouaméni, Rabiot - Coman, Kolo Muani or Giroud, Mbappé (cap.).</span>

Griezmann might not play, at logger heads with manager after loosing captaincy

so a bit of disruption in the camp over it ,,

Griezmann is their most creative player. He was brilliant at The World Cup. They don't have a natural replacement for him either. The rest of their attackers are quick wide players.

If I was to pick one french player to miss the game against us I'd go for Greizmann. He's their main creative force and when he's not in the game, Mbappe has to go deep to collect the ball which means he's not in our box ad much or terrorising us on the flanks.

No De Jong for Holland tomorrow, let's hope for a comfy France win 2-0 or so, and they'll come to Dublin thinking job done for this window.

Edited by Maccatacca - 23 Mar 2023 at 11:09am
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:18am
Agreed on the france winning tomorrow thing.

Looking forward to Monday now and a few Scoops in Ringsend. havent been able to drink at a game in months.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:19am

Can't wait for this game - I'd like to see a little bit of pragmatism in our approach and would go with the following:

Bazunu
                                      Smallbone  
                                      Ferguson

The only issue I have with that team is O'Dowda - he is not a good defender, even last night, where he played well going forward, some of his defensive positioning was very poor. Coman will make mincemeat of him. Has to be either Doherty or Mc Clean at LWB imo.

I also thought Obafemi did well last night, but maybe it's best to finish the game with him on the pitch rather than start him.

I get the point regarding O'Dowda, but the issue there is that neither McClean or Doherty are up to much defensively either. There isn't an easy fix for that position unfortunately. Away in France it might be worth considering putting a centre back out there and basically play a flat back five to batten down the hatches, but we shouldn't be doing that at home and I couldn't see Kenny trying it on Monday.

Fwiw, I think it will be Doherty Smile
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:27am

Bazunu
                                      Smallbone  
                                      Ferguson

Fwiw, I think it will be Doherty Smile

Just to expand on that. The whole point of playing Doherty last night (which we all agreed with I think) was to give him minutes to shake off the rustiness. Was he rusty, yes understandably. Did he make a couple of defensive errors, yes. Will the game hopefully bring him on? Well that was the point, so hopefully yes. While O'Dowda did well to get on the end of a cross in the opposition box, where did that chance come from? The RHS where nearly all of our good attacking play emanated from driven by guess who? Doherty and his interplay with Smallbone.

I dont see Doherty not starting vs France so it's either at RWB instead of Coleman or at LWB instead of Mc Clean. That's the big decision for Kenny as I see it. Coleman vs Mc Clean, unless god forbid he plays Coleman as the RCB, which is also a possibility. I like O'Dowda as a player, but no way would I be starting him as a wing back vs France.

Edited by John Nice - 23 Mar 2023 at 11:29am
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:48am
Whatever the views on who is the better player i find it inconceivable that Doherty would start over Coleman purely on current playing form and time. How can you logically pick a man that hasn't played for the guts of 2 months almost as opposed to someone who is now playing weekly in the PL. Also it isnt as if Doherty has pace either. Id say Coleman is prob faster if anything. If there were both playing weekly then its a toss up. Some decisions seem obvious to me and this is one. Playing him on the left then cancels out him crossing in from that side. I dont know seems illogical to me.
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:56am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Whatever the views on who is the better player i find it inconceivable that Doherty would start over Coleman purely on current playing form and time. How can you logically pick a man that hasn't played for the guts of 2 months almost as opposed to someone who is now playing weekly in the PL. Also it isnt as if Doherty has pace either. Id say Coleman is prob faster if anything. If there were both playing weekly then its a toss up. Some decisions seem obvious to me and this is one. Playing him on the left then cancels out him crossing in from that side. I dont know seems illogical to me.

I actually agree, I'd start Coleman, but I'd also start Doherty on the left. Doherty even on the RHS isnt much of a one for getting to the bye line and putting in crosses, he tends to cut inside and attack the box, so he can do that equally well if not better from the left, not that I expect our wing backs to be playing too advanced in any case. He will also be up against Coman who likes to cut inside which should suit Doherty. I think Matt is our best chance of limiting Coman's influence. Coman vs O'Dowda is just an accident waiting to happen. I'd be amazed if thats the call. 

I'll just add that in my view Doherty's best performance in recent times was the game in Faro where he played LWB. He defended really well that day against a good attacking team and himself and Connolly caused Portugal real problems down the LHS.
Idah Dream!
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:01pm

<span style="color: rgb29, 29, 27; font-family: DINNextLTPro-Regular, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; : rgb238, 238, 238;">Maignan - Koundé, Konaté, Upamecano, T. Hernandez - Griezmann, Tchouaméni, Rabiot - Coman, Kolo Muani or Giroud, Mbappé (cap.).</span>

Griezmann has played about 60 matches in a row for France. He’s hugely committed to the national team. I’d say he will get over it. Camavinga not predicted to play tomorrow night is mad. Must be one of the best 20 year olds in world football and a regular this season for Real. Deschamps must think he is too young still or doesn’t fancy him for his system.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Griezmann has played about 60 matches in a row for France. He’s hugely committed to the national team. I’d say he will get over it. Camavinga not predicted to play tomorrow night is mad. Must be one of the best 20 year olds in world football and a regular this season for Real. Deschamps must think he is too young still or doesn’t fancy him for his system.

Camavinga is quality, yeah. 

But the Rabiot and Tchouaméni pivot served Deschamps well at The World Cup. Rabiot is having a good season for Juve.

They're not short of options in midfield.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:10pm

I think he just sees it as a straight shoot out between Camavinga and Tchouameni with Tchouameni being mostly preferred (as is the case at Real when both are fit). Just shows the strength in depth they possess.
Idah Dream!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I think he could well go with Ferguson and Obafemi, which I wouldn't really be averse to. For the first time in years, we have 2 strikers who we can fire the ball into and they'll make it stick, as well as providing a goal threat.

I think the two will start also but it will be a 4-4-1-1 with Obafemi helping out the midfield .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:31pm

I think he just sees it as a straight shoot out between Camavinga and Tchouameni with Tchouameni being mostly preferred (as is the case at Real when both are fit). Just shows the strength in depth they possess.

Camavinga has started ahead of Tchouameni for Madrid the past month or so! He’ll be sub tomorrow which unfortunately means he will likely play against us on Monday.

Griezmann is vice captain and hasn’t fallen out with Deschamps, he will play both games.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Camavinga has started ahead of Tchouameni for Madrid the past month or so! He’ll be sub tomorrow which unfortunately means he will likely play against us on Monday.

Griezmann is vice captain and hasn’t fallen out with Deschamps, he will play both games.

Tchouaméni has had niggling injuries and a bout of illness in 2023. Those and a bit of a World Cup hangover.

Camavinga has played well in his absence. He fills in at LB a bit as well.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Tchouaméni has had niggling injuries and a bout of illness in 2023. Those and a bit of a World Cup hangover.

Camavinga has played well in his absence. He fills in at LB a bit as well.

Oh I know but he’s been back since the Atletico Madrid game over a month ago and Camavinga has been excellent in that time.

They can definitely play together as they are not like for like, Rabiot nowhere near as good as either but in fairness to him he did have a decent World Cup.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:54pm

Rabiot nowhere near as good as either.

Don't say that to his mammy.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

LOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:04pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

LOL

Never upset the mammy, rumours this morning around LFC interest in Rabiot which would surprise me. In Rabiot's defence, while I agree both Tchouameni and Camavinga are excellent young players and potentially world class, neither of them could be considered attacking players and Rabiot was very good going forward in the WC. Barring injuries, I dont expect Camavinga and Tchouameni to start together for France against us.
Idah Dream!
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:30pm
Bazunu
Doherty Coleman Collins Egan McClean
Cullen Molumby Smallbone
Ferguson Ogbene

I'd go with this. Coleman at RCB backing up Doherty i think would help as he has the nous and experience we'll need to try to keep some sort of a handle on Mbappe. 

Smallbone showed something we really don't have last night, one of the few positives to take away. 

I'd have Ogbene over Obafemi, because i think with Ferguson and Obafemi, Ferguson will be the one coming deep trying to play Obafemi in, and i think we're better suited to Ogbene doing the hard work for Ferguson to be as big of a threat in the final third as possible. Obafemi would be a great option off the bench.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 23 Mar 2023 at 1:31pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
  Share Topic