You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v England 1995

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Junior Junior wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Was it not Dessie Ellis getting extradited that day?
14th Nov 1990 was Dessie's extradition day, havent cheked if the dates coincide

Yeah it was alright.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUEfTtY0BY
I feel drunk watching that

That crowd Clap

From the Spanish game in 89 through to the end of the euro 92 campaign Lansdowne was something else for home games. Think we actually had a 94 qualifier before Euro 92 (Albania I think) which was the last qualifier before the bucket seats came in and put the capacity down 20k and killed the atmosphere to a large degree. That Albania qualifier was weird as the back pass rule hadn't come in yet but was in for the rest of the campaign. The atmosphere in the Euro 88 campaign wasn't great as we'd had 2 fairly uninspiring nil all draws v Belgium and Scotland and had also gone one down at home to Luxembourg before coming back to win 2-1. Tickets were still easy to come by back then as well, we only got 17k for the game v Brazil halfway through the campaign on a Saturday evening for example.

But post the Euros the crowds had come back and the atmosphere at the likes of the Spain and NI games were savage. But that England game was something else, Lansdowne was a real fortress by then and even after Platt scored we never really thought we'd lose. Was on the usual spot on the South for that one and you can see the mayhem when Cas equalised, bedlam on the terrace and then everyone to a man turns to the west upper and a huge chant of "YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!!" rang out as a shower of coins and lighters rained down, very different times. Euro 92 was the peak of that team, still gutted we blew qualification away to Poland, really think we'd a good shot at winning the tournament had we gone, we were easily the equal of Denmark as shown in the world cup qualifiers for 94, chance missed.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 22 Jan 2015 at 6:47pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:49pm
Ive always claimed we could have won Euro92.

Only the Dutch were better than us at the time.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by George Zip George Zip wrote:

Alright lads first time posting but a long time lurker on the forum.

I was on the North Terrace in 1990 and I remember the Mars bars etc being thrown at Gazza.
Also does anyone remember the old lad in the top hat and tails who followed England all over the world?
Somebody milled him with an apple or an orange from the north terrace.
I wasn't in town after the game but lads I worked with at the time told me it was fairly dodgy.
Didn't the English attack pubs in Kilburn in 1991 prior to the return fixture at Wembley in revenge?

Was on the south terrace in 1995 and it was a venomous atmosphere, both anthems booed, Paul Ince getting monkey chants. Was brilliant though giving the brits the fingers in the West Upper when Kelly scored!
The Guards should have been better prepared though because there was trouble between rival english firms in Abbey street and Marlborough street the night before the game.

The London Irish fanzine "On the One Road" had decent articles after both games.

Only seeing this post now. Don't remember any monkey chants at Ince but I guess it's possible disgrace if true.

Re the trouble in Kilburn, I don't know about 91 but I was living in London in 90 and there was trouble after the 1 all draw, gang of English lads came down looking for Irish fans and battering a few lads caught on their own, remember one lad got f**ked through a plate glass window of a laundrette...
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
George Zip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by George Zip George Zip wrote:

Alright lads first time posting but a long time lurker on the forum.

I was on the North Terrace in 1990 and I remember the Mars bars etc being thrown at Gazza.
Also does anyone remember the old lad in the top hat and tails who followed England all over the world?
Somebody milled him with an apple or an orange from the north terrace.
I wasn't in town after the game but lads I worked with at the time told me it was fairly dodgy.
Didn't the English attack pubs in Kilburn in 1991 prior to the return fixture at Wembley in revenge?

Was on the south terrace in 1995 and it was a venomous atmosphere, both anthems booed, Paul Ince getting monkey chants. Was brilliant though giving the brits the fingers in the West Upper when Kelly scored!
The Guards should have been better prepared though because there was trouble between rival english firms in Abbey street and Marlborough street the night before the game.

The London Irish fanzine "On the One Road" had decent articles after both games.

Only seeing this post now. Don't remember any monkey chants at Ince but I guess it's possible disgrace if true.

Re the trouble in Kilburn, I don't know about 91 but I was living in London in 90 and there was trouble after the 1 all draw, gang of English lads came down looking for Irish fans and battering a few lads caught on their own, remember one lad got f**ked through a plate glass window of a laundrette...

I defo remember the monkey chants, not saying there was thousands at it but it was audible, f**king gobsh*tes! See the link below for interesting article re 1995, check out the comment by 'BH' re Paul Ince, (BH is not me btw)
http://comeheretome.com/2010/06/09/trouble-on-the-terraces-some-pages-from-the-programme-of-an-infamous-match/

In relation to Kilburn 91 I read an article in that 'On the One Road' fanzine. The english attacked a few pubs on the High Road before the game and i'd always assumed it was in revenge to their 1990 reception in 'Little Paddyland' as Eamon Dunphy would say!
The lad that wrote the article was injured before the game and went to wembley bandaged up looking like Rab C Nesbitt. I must see if I can find it, its in the gaff somewhere.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:34pm
We Defo had a chance to win euro 92. We were robbed in qualification but jammy lineaker and England always did enough. Isn't it sad to see how far we have dropped now.
I was at Wembley in 91 and will never forget that miss by Houghton that would have won it. Beating England at Wembley would have been huge for Jack
Great memories all the same
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:32am
From the book Everywhere We Go which was written 1996.

The Far Right 

So football is a game which attracts all elements of society, for both good and bad reasons, yet there is no doubt that extreme right-wing (and more recently, left-wing) political parties use football as a recruiting ground for members. When England fans rioted in Dublin, the events were relayed around the world and, in the aftermath, a great many questions were asked regarding the events leading up to the game. 

However, it quickly became apparent that this was more than simple football violence, because a number of political groups were said to be heavily involved. We approached a number of these groups and asked them to contribute to this book. With one exception, they declined. Here is the account that was provided. After talking to many fans who were in Dublin that night, we do feel that this tale goes a long way to answering many of those questions, but, if accurate, the implications are very disturbing.

Dublin 

I am an active member of the BNP [British National Party] and a follower of one of the smaller northern clubs, a club which has a growing reputation for good away support and an expanding hard core intent on causing as much trouble as possible on our travels. As an active member of the BNP, I see the club as an ideal recruiting ground for new members and have been encouraged by the party to sell papers and distribute leaflets about our policies at all games, home and away. The party see football as a great place to canvass support as the majority of people who attend games are white British males who are finding life a bit of a struggle due to the lingering effects of the recession and the policies of the present political system which, we believe, are selling the very people who made this country what it was, i.e. great, down the river. It is our goal to reverse that decline by making people aware of what is going on so that we can make Britain great again. We manage to sell around 150 papers a month at the moment and the numbers are continuing to grow, which is obviously good for us and follows the trend of the last recession, when party numbers also grew. 

There are, of course, many people at the club who are unhappy about us selling papers outside the ground and I know that a number of letters and phone calls have been received by the local press and the club and that some people are staying away because they do not approve of us. All I can say to that is that if they do not like our papers, then they shouldn’t buy them - it is, after all, a free country. We have also had some grief in the past from groups like the Anti-Nazi League (ANL) and Anti-Fascist Action (AFA), but the lads in our group who do not agree with our beliefs will run with us against them as they see any attack on us as an attack on the reputation of the mob rather than on the party. 

Being an organisation that suffers attacks from all sides due to its policies means that BNP groups from all over the country keep in close contact to exchange any information on factions campaigning in any way against us. The far- right parties do have a reputation for violence and whenattacked they will respond in greater numbers, but Combat 18 [C18] (named after Adolf Hitler’s initials-A=1,H=8) is really an elite right-wing firm which holds a certain set of beliefs. They will travel anywhere and use violence and terror tactics on anyone who tries to stand up against what they see as their right. That does hold a certain fear factor for anyone who might think of trying to drive us out and away from the club. I know that there are many people who would like to do just that but would never dare attempt it, and would almost certainly never achieve it. 

In February 1995, a group from our club travelled with some other BNP members from another northern club to the England match in Dublin. We had been encouraged for a few months previously to try as hard as we could to attend this game - not that we needed much encouragement: we have very strong feelings regarding Ireland and the current political situation, but we were concerned that we would be stopped at the airport by the police and prevented from travelling. We knew that they would be all over us and would know our arrangements, but we were assured on more than one occasion that they did not have the power to stop us. It was also mentioned that there were certain people involved who would see to it that we would make it to the match. At the time, I personally felt that this was all talk, but looking back on what happened, I do feel it could well have been true and that there were people who wanted us at that game. 

Our objective was to try as best as we could to get to Dublin, to fire up the English support and, if at all possible, to disrupt the match in order to obtain as much media attention as possible. The whole point was to discredit the British government over the Anglo-Irish peace process. The media were televising the match live and there is nothing they like better than seeing the English supporters on the rampage, and we knew that as well as us, there were other groups who were doing their best to get to the game and put on a show. 

England fans are different from your average club fans. They feel they have a point to prove, and what better place to prove it than Dublin, and against a team made up of players of every nationality you could think of whose manager can only be described as ‘Judas’ and a traitor to his country? England supporters are proud of the fact that they are English, and although the vast majority would not call themselves racist in any way, they are very nationalistic in that they love their country. Most of the ones I know feel that they should be treated with respect when they travel, and when this does not happen, they will go on the offensive and start to play up. The fact that most have been on the receiving end of bad treatment by the foreign police on more than one occasion does not help and it is very easy to spread bad feeling among England supporters if you really want to do it. 

We were all surprised at how easy it was to get to Dublin. At the airport in England we had no problems and the same can be said of our arrival in Ireland. We actually travelled out on the Tuesday, along with a few other firms, and although there was a bit of grief along the way, this was just a continuation of some trouble at a Cup game earlier in the season. But I have to say that we were not attempting to hide the fact that we were England fans in any way whatsoever. Once we arrived in the city, we met up with other groups and the mood throughout was one of surprise that we were, in general, being left to get on with it. Rumour was out that a large number of C18 had arrived earlier in the week, having come via different routes to avoid being detected and deported, and that they were being looked after by members of the Ulster Freedom Fighters, one of the organisations with which C18 has established links since the introduction of the Anglo-Irish Agreement. That night we found a bar, settled in and kept being visited by small groups doing the rounds. They told us that a few of the English fans were fighting among themselves but that it was all very quiet, really, as the locals had no intention of getting involved in anything. 

On the day of the match, we found ourselves joined by many familiar faces and the number of England supporters grew steadily, which meant that the atmosphere grew more hostile by the minute. News of pubs being decorated with Loyalist slogans, plus the odd fight, helped to generate the kind of feeling we were expecting to find at such an important fixture. There was plenty of BNP literature being distributed and most of the talk was not about the football, but about what was going to happen once we were inside the ground. Anybody could have seen the intention that day and everyone involved was getting well fired up. 

When we left the pub, we marched to the ground and for the first time started to put on a bit of a show. We had accumulated a large mob by now and it looked as if the police just wanted to get us off the streets and into the ground as quickly as possible. The security system they had set up was a joke. It just did not work - we went straight through them and up to the turnstiles. It was at this point that I started to believe that we would actually make it as up to then I had been half expecting a tug at any second. 

Inside the stadium the atmosphere was electric, full of violence, expectation and hate. As well as the usual faces there were a lot of boys I had never seen before whipping it up. What also surprised me was that there were Irish supporters in the same section as us and, as a consequence, they were getting punched and kicked at random. The police seemed powerless to stop it, so many of these Irish fans started to leave. As kick-off time grew closer, the chants of ‘No surrender to the IRA,’ and ‘Ulster is British’ predictably became louder and you could clearly see how the majority of the English fans were being manipulated by the number of BNP members present. (This may seem an odd thing to say, but I personally believe that the majority of English people feel the same way as we do on most things but need to be with like-minded individuals or groups before they are prepared to stand up and say what it is they really think.) 

Some of the English lads were wearing balaclavas, which is a bit unusual for us, but these, together with a few others, had by now begun throwing things down on to the people in the section below. We had well and truly arrived, and it quickly became obvious that we were in total control of that part of the stadium and had really stirred everyone up. It was clear that it was going to go off big-time, and with the attention of the media fully upon us by now, we suddenly realised that here was the chance for us to let the world know how we really felt about Northern Ireland. Football had given us the moment, but the game itself had become what it always is for us: secondary to the objective which we had set out to achieve. As I have said, our initial aim was to disrupt the match, but by now we were getting confident that we could actually get the game abandoned.

As the Irish anthem played, we did our best to drown it out with ‘Sieg Heils’ and other singing while the police were still leaving us to get on with whatever we wanted. It would have taken a very brave, or very stupid, policeman to step into such a mob and try to drag someone out at that point, and this lot did not seem ready to do it at all. By this time, people were starting to rip up the seats and arm themselves because most of us were expecting the riot police to come in at any moment, which would have been the signal for it to really kick off. As it was, things took a different direction when the Irish scored. It sent some of the lads off and suddenly there was total mayhem.

I remember thinking that these pictures would be going out live in pubs and clubs all over Britain and that most places in Europe would also be watching. That gave me the biggest buzz I have ever had at a football match. Most of us could see the fans below running on to the pitch and there were fights breaking out as they were both English and Irish, but that didn’t matter to us at all because we had a political point to make. I must say, though, that once the riot police started to target the English lads on the pitch, we started to feel different and began to turn our attention towards them. It was a while before we realised that the players had been taken off, and then the announcement came that the game had been abandoned. The feeling of power that gave us was incredible. We had achieved more than we could possibly have hoped for, because news of this would travel around the world. The feelings of the BNP were well and truly known and the fact that we could orchestrate such an event would send a strong message to our opponents. The BNP would no longer be ignored and would be talked about at every breakfast table and at every place of work the following day.

Once the ground was clear and we had burned ourselves out, we were introduced to the riot police. It was clear that they wanted us out of the stadium and, I suspect, away from the media eye as quickly as possible. As we left, they directed us to the ferry port and we were escorted by policemen who were more than a little unhappy by this time. The fact that we were starting to buzz again did not help, and we were now giving out as much verbal as we could to anyone we saw. As we had travelled by plane, we tried to break away from the escort but the police told us that arrangements had been made for us to be taken to the airport from the ferry terminal. But when we arrived at the port, they kept us hanging about for a while and then told us to get on the boat. When some of the lads started to play up about wanting to go to the airport, the police began to get heavy and hit out with their batons. We could see that things were starting to get a big dodgy because the police were singling people out for hidings and so we decided to run on to the ferry and travel that way. Looking back on it, I hate to think what would have happened had we insisted on being taken to the airport. 

As it turned out, the boat was quite a laugh because the buzz was still going and many of the BNP groups were on board, and although a few people had taken a beating, the mood was unbelievable. When we arrived back in Holyhead the media circus was in full swing, but we avoided the attention. There’s always someone who is prepared to have their face flashed across the TV screens, but it isn’t me. The thing that really surprised us about this whole incident was the cover-up in the British press over the next few days. At first most of the daily papers carried stories about the BNP involvement in starting the whole thing off as well as giving coverage to C18, but within days that had been taken out of the equation and it was merely ‘football fans’ with the same tired old cliches. No mention of the Far Right, our objective or the political situation which was the catalyst for the whole thing. I still find it unbelievable that the game was staged in the first place, and I’m sure that the government were aware of what was almost certainly going to happen from the minute the fixture was arranged. The police in both countries must have voiced their concerns all along, but still it went on and we were allowed to attend. Maybe we were just meant to be there.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:52am
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

We Defo had a chance to win euro 92. We were robbed in qualification but jammy lineaker and England always did enough. Isn't it sad to see how far we have dropped now.
I was at Wembley in 91 and will never forget that miss by Houghton that would have won it. Beating England at Wembley would have been huge for Jack
Great memories all the same
Still it was some night all the same Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:34am

We should have won at Wembley but it was the 2 Polish games we really blew.  Battered them at home and couldn't score.  Then 3-1 up in Poznan and coasting and we gifted them 2 goals.  Winning either game would have been enough. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:27am
From Yoco Santos's post about 'Everywhere We Go':

"That gave me the biggest buzz I have ever had at a football match."

What an utterly pathetic individual.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-IE; mso-fareast-: EN-IE; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">"That gave me the biggest buzz I have ever had at a football match."</SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-IE; mso-fareast-: EN-IE; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"></SPAN> 

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-IE; mso-fareast-: EN-IE; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">What an utterly pathetic individual.</SPAN>
and people question anti fa
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:59am
Absolute scutter from a misguided idiot. Does he think making schoolchildren cry furthers a political point? A few choice excerpts:

"Most of the [England fans] I know feel that they should be treated with respect when they travel, and when this does not happen, they will go on the offensive and start to play up."

So when you aren't treated with respect, you are pretty much the opposite of magnanimous? Classy. It reads like "When anyone looks at us funny, we are happy to use it as an excuse for violence."

Secondly: "It was clear that it was going to go off big-time, and with the attention of the media fully upon us by now, we suddenly realised that here was the chance for us to let the world know how we really felt about Northern Ireland."

Yeah, because a riot and an abandoned football match is really going to change opinions around a centuries long struggle. Nuances are lost on idiots like this.

Thirdly: "By this time, people were starting to rip up the seats and arm themselves because most of us were expecting the riot police to come in at any moment, which would have been the signal for it to really kick off."

Is that why they were throwing the same stuff onto families below? By their own admission "the locals had no intention of getting involved in anything".

Finally: "The thing that really surprised us about this whole incident was the cover-up in the British press over the next few days. At first most of the daily papers carried stories about the BNP involvement in starting the whole thing off as well as giving coverage to C18, but within days that had been taken out of the equation and it was merely ‘football fans’ with the same tired old cliches. No mention of the Far Right, our objective or the political situation which was the catalyst for the whole thing."

Mentioning a cover up, while at the same time, earlier in the article saying this about BNP papers "All I can say to that is that if they do not like our papers, then they shouldn’t buy them - it is, after all, a free country." I wonder is this chap completely irony impaired? He seems to have a problem with newspapers printing what they like if he doesn't agree with them, but no problem where they do.

I cannot believe I have to share oxygen with idiots like this guy.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:09pm
He is hopelessly misguided/ignorant as you say - and consumed by hate. A pointless existence if ever there was one.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm
Ridiculous piece alright. what an oxygen thief

the far right today are pathetic boneheads but no real danger to society in my opinion. Too drunk stupid and disorganized. Far more interested in having a tear up with themselves. I am still awaiting the mass thrashing of Muslim owned property in France and the UK in the wake of Charlie Hebdo, Lee Rigbys murder and even as far back as the London bombings. 

(function () { return window.SIG_EXT = {}; })()

d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:18pm
the terraces at lansdowne. miss them so much Cry

absolutely bonkers goal celebrations. must have been 300 people on the pitch most of the 1991 game.

what a header by cas

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Was it not Dessie Ellis getting extradited that day?
14th Nov 1990 was Dessie's extradition day, havent cheked if the dates coincide

Yeah it was alright.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUEfTtY0BY
I feel drunk watching that

That crowd Clap

From the Spanish game in 89 through to the end of the euro 92 campaign Lansdowne was something else for home games. Think we actually had a 94 qualifier before Euro 92 (Albania I think) which was the last qualifier before the bucket seats came in and put the capacity down 20k and killed the atmosphere to a large degree. That Albania qualifier was weird as the back pass rule hadn't come in yet but was in for the rest of the campaign. The atmosphere in the Euro 88 campaign wasn't great as we'd had 2 fairly uninspiring nil all draws v Belgium and Scotland and had also gone one down at home to Luxembourg before coming back to win 2-1. Tickets were still easy to come by back then as well, we only got 17k for the game v Brazil halfway through the campaign on a Saturday evening for example.

But post the Euros the crowds had come back and the atmosphere at the likes of the Spain and NI games were savage. But that England game was something else, Lansdowne was a real fortress by then and even after Platt scored we never really thought we'd lose. Was on the usual spot on the South for that one and you can see the mayhem when Cas equalised, bedlam on the terrace and then everyone to a man turns to the west upper and a huge chant of "YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!!" rang out as a shower of coins and lighters rained down, very different times. Euro 92 was the peak of that team, still gutted we blew qualification away to Poland, really think we'd a good shot at winning the tournament had we gone, we were easily the equal of Denmark as shown in the world cup qualifiers for 94, chance missed.
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

"That gave me the biggest buzz I have ever had at a football match."

What an utterly pathetic individual.

agreed. a total and utter moron of the highest order.
put em under pressure!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:54pm
[QUOTE=d13dave]
the terraces at lansdowne. miss them so much Cry

absolutely bonkers goal celebrations. must have been 300 people on the pitch most of the 1991 game.

what a header by cas ]

Was on the North Terrace that day with a busted knee from playing ball the previous Sunday, jumped around knowing no pain when Cas's superb header went it.  Scoring against England always did that.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 5:00pm

leapt like a salmon did big cas

why were there always fans in front of the south terrace? i was a bit too young and too small to notice the commotion at the front of the terrace when i stood on it.

The old Landsdowne was a decrepit windy kip but it was our decrepit windy kip. A real fortress

Edited by d13dave - 30 Jan 2015 at 5:01pm
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Yoco Santos Yoco Santos wrote:

From the book Everywhere We Go which was written 1996.

The Far Right 

So football is a game which attracts all elements of society, for both good and bad reasons, yet there is no doubt that extreme right-wing (and more recently, left-wing) political parties use football as a recruiting ground for members. When England fans rioted in Dublin, the events were relayed around the world and, in the aftermath, a great many questions were asked regarding the events leading up to the game. 

However, it quickly became apparent that this was more than simple football violence, because a number of political groups were said to be heavily involved. We approached a number of these groups and asked them to contribute to this book. With one exception, they declined. Here is the account that was provided. After talking to many fans who were in Dublin that night, we do feel that this tale goes a long way to answering many of those questions, but, if accurate, the implications are very disturbing.

Dublin 

I am an active member of the BNP [British National Party] and a follower of one of the smaller northern clubs, a club which has a growing reputation for good away support and an expanding hard core intent on causing as much trouble as possible on our travels. As an active member of the BNP, I see the club as an ideal recruiting ground for new members and have been encouraged by the party to sell papers and distribute leaflets about our policies at all games, home and away. The party see football as a great place to canvass support as the majority of people who attend games are white British males who are finding life a bit of a struggle due to the lingering effects of the recession and the policies of the present political system which, we believe, are selling the very people who made this country what it was, i.e. great, down the river. It is our goal to reverse that decline by making people aware of what is going on so that we can make Britain great again. We manage to sell around 150 papers a month at the moment and the numbers are continuing to grow, which is obviously good for us and follows the trend of the last recession, when party numbers also grew. 

There are, of course, many people at the club who are unhappy about us selling papers outside the ground and I know that a number of letters and phone calls have been received by the local press and the club and that some people are staying away because they do not approve of us. All I can say to that is that if they do not like our papers, then they shouldn’t buy them - it is, after all, a free country. We have also had some grief in the past from groups like the Anti-Nazi League (ANL) and Anti-Fascist Action (AFA), but the lads in our group who do not agree with our beliefs will run with us against them as they see any attack on us as an attack on the reputation of the mob rather than on the party. 

Being an organisation that suffers attacks from all sides due to its policies means that BNP groups from all over the country keep in close contact to exchange any information on factions campaigning in any way against us. The far- right parties do have a reputation for violence and whenattacked they will respond in greater numbers, but Combat 18 [C18] (named after Adolf Hitler’s initials-A=1,H=8) is really an elite right-wing firm which holds a certain set of beliefs. They will travel anywhere and use violence and terror tactics on anyone who tries to stand up against what they see as their right. That does hold a certain fear factor for anyone who might think of trying to drive us out and away from the club. I know that there are many people who would like to do just that but would never dare attempt it, and would almost certainly never achieve it. 

In February 1995, a group from our club travelled with some other BNP members from another northern club to the England match in Dublin. We had been encouraged for a few months previously to try as hard as we could to attend this game - not that we needed much encouragement: we have very strong feelings regarding Ireland and the current political situation, but we were concerned that we would be stopped at the airport by the police and prevented from travelling. We knew that they would be all over us and would know our arrangements, but we were assured on more than one occasion that they did not have the power to stop us. It was also mentioned that there were certain people involved who would see to it that we would make it to the match. At the time, I personally felt that this was all talk, but looking back on what happened, I do feel it could well have been true and that there were people who wanted us at that game. 

Our objective was to try as best as we could to get to Dublin, to fire up the English support and, if at all possible, to disrupt the match in order to obtain as much media attention as possible. The whole point was to discredit the British government over the Anglo-Irish peace process. The media were televising the match live and there is nothing they like better than seeing the English supporters on the rampage, and we knew that as well as us, there were other groups who were doing their best to get to the game and put on a show. 

England fans are different from your average club fans. They feel they have a point to prove, and what better place to prove it than Dublin, and against a team made up of players of every nationality you could think of whose manager can only be described as ‘Judas’ and a traitor to his country? England supporters are proud of the fact that they are English, and although the vast majority would not call themselves racist in any way, they are very nationalistic in that they love their country. Most of the ones I know feel that they should be treated with respect when they travel, and when this does not happen, they will go on the offensive and start to play up. The fact that most have been on the receiving end of bad treatment by the foreign police on more than one occasion does not help and it is very easy to spread bad feeling among England supporters if you really want to do it. 

We were all surprised at how easy it was to get to Dublin. At the airport in England we had no problems and the same can be said of our arrival in Ireland. We actually travelled out on the Tuesday, along with a few other firms, and although there was a bit of grief along the way, this was just a continuation of some trouble at a Cup game earlier in the season. But I have to say that we were not attempting to hide the fact that we were England fans in any way whatsoever. Once we arrived in the city, we met up with other groups and the mood throughout was one of surprise that we were, in general, being left to get on with it. Rumour was out that a large number of C18 had arrived earlier in the week, having come via different routes to avoid being detected and deported, and that they were being looked after by members of the Ulster Freedom Fighters, one of the organisations with which C18 has established links since the introduction of the Anglo-Irish Agreement. That night we found a bar, settled in and kept being visited by small groups doing the rounds. They told us that a few of the English fans were fighting among themselves but that it was all very quiet, really, as the locals had no intention of getting involved in anything. 

On the day of the match, we found ourselves joined by many familiar faces and the number of England supporters grew steadily, which meant that the atmosphere grew more hostile by the minute. News of pubs being decorated with Loyalist slogans, plus the odd fight, helped to generate the kind of feeling we were expecting to find at such an important fixture. There was plenty of BNP literature being distributed and most of the talk was not about the football, but about what was going to happen once we were inside the ground. Anybody could have seen the intention that day and everyone involved was getting well fired up. 

When we left the pub, we marched to the ground and for the first time started to put on a bit of a show. We had accumulated a large mob by now and it looked as if the police just wanted to get us off the streets and into the ground as quickly as possible. The security system they had set up was a joke. It just did not work - we went straight through them and up to the turnstiles. It was at this point that I started to believe that we would actually make it as up to then I had been half expecting a tug at any second. 

Inside the stadium the atmosphere was electric, full of violence, expectation and hate. As well as the usual faces there were a lot of boys I had never seen before whipping it up. What also surprised me was that there were Irish supporters in the same section as us and, as a consequence, they were getting punched and kicked at random. The police seemed powerless to stop it, so many of these Irish fans started to leave. As kick-off time grew closer, the chants of ‘No surrender to the IRA,’ and ‘Ulster is British’ predictably became louder and you could clearly see how the majority of the English fans were being manipulated by the number of BNP members present. (This may seem an odd thing to say, but I personally believe that the majority of English people feel the same way as we do on most things but need to be with like-minded individuals or groups before they are prepared to stand up and say what it is they really think.) 

Some of the English lads were wearing balaclavas, which is a bit unusual for us, but these, together with a few others, had by now begun throwing things down on to the people in the section below. We had well and truly arrived, and it quickly became obvious that we were in total control of that part of the stadium and had really stirred everyone up. It was clear that it was going to go off big-time, and with the attention of the media fully upon us by now, we suddenly realised that here was the chance for us to let the world know how we really felt about Northern Ireland. Football had given us the moment, but the game itself had become what it always is for us: secondary to the objective which we had set out to achieve. As I have said, our initial aim was to disrupt the match, but by now we were getting confident that we could actually get the game abandoned.

As the Irish anthem played, we did our best to drown it out with ‘Sieg Heils’ and other singing while the police were still leaving us to get on with whatever we wanted. It would have taken a very brave, or very stupid, policeman to step into such a mob and try to drag someone out at that point, and this lot did not seem ready to do it at all. By this time, people were starting to rip up the seats and arm themselves because most of us were expecting the riot police to come in at any moment, which would have been the signal for it to really kick off. As it was, things took a different direction when the Irish scored. It sent some of the lads off and suddenly there was total mayhem.

I remember thinking that these pictures would be going out live in pubs and clubs all over Britain and that most places in Europe would also be watching. That gave me the biggest buzz I have ever had at a football match. Most of us could see the fans below running on to the pitch and there were fights breaking out as they were both English and Irish, but that didn’t matter to us at all because we had a political point to make. I must say, though, that once the riot police started to target the English lads on the pitch, we started to feel different and began to turn our attention towards them. It was a while before we realised that the players had been taken off, and then the announcement came that the game had been abandoned. The feeling of power that gave us was incredible. We had achieved more than we could possibly have hoped for, because news of this would travel around the world. The feelings of the BNP were well and truly known and the fact that we could orchestrate such an event would send a strong message to our opponents. The BNP would no longer be ignored and would be talked about at every breakfast table and at every place of work the following day.

Once the ground was clear and we had burned ourselves out, we were introduced to the riot police. It was clear that they wanted us out of the stadium and, I suspect, away from the media eye as quickly as possible. As we left, they directed us to the ferry port and we were escorted by policemen who were more than a little unhappy by this time. The fact that we were starting to buzz again did not help, and we were now giving out as much verbal as we could to anyone we saw. As we had travelled by plane, we tried to break away from the escort but the police told us that arrangements had been made for us to be taken to the airport from the ferry terminal. But when we arrived at the port, they kept us hanging about for a while and then told us to get on the boat. When some of the lads started to play up about wanting to go to the airport, the police began to get heavy and hit out with their batons. We could see that things were starting to get a big dodgy because the police were singling people out for hidings and so we decided to run on to the ferry and travel that way. Looking back on it, I hate to think what would have happened had we insisted on being taken to the airport. 

As it turned out, the boat was quite a laugh because the buzz was still going and many of the BNP groups were on board, and although a few people had taken a beating, the mood was unbelievable. When we arrived back in Holyhead the media circus was in full swing, but we avoided the attention. There’s always someone who is prepared to have their face flashed across the TV screens, but it isn’t me. The thing that really surprised us about this whole incident was the cover-up in the British press over the next few days. At first most of the daily papers carried stories about the BNP involvement in starting the whole thing off as well as giving coverage to C18, but within days that had been taken out of the equation and it was merely ‘football fans’ with the same tired old cliches. No mention of the Far Right, our objective or the political situation which was the catalyst for the whole thing. I still find it unbelievable that the game was staged in the first place, and I’m sure that the government were aware of what was almost certainly going to happen from the minute the fixture was arranged. The police in both countries must have voiced their concerns all along, but still it went on and we were allowed to attend. Maybe we were just meant to be there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic