You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v England 1995

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 6:46pm
Alright lads first time posting but a long time lurker on the forum.

I was on the North Terrace in 1990 and I remember the Mars bars etc being thrown at Gazza.
Also does anyone remember the old lad in the top hat and tails who followed England all over the world?
Somebody milled him with an apple or an orange from the north terrace.
I wasn't in town after the game but lads I worked with at the time told me it was fairly dodgy.
Didn't the English attack pubs in Kilburn in 1991 prior to the return fixture at Wembley in revenge?

Was on the south terrace in 1995 and it was a venomous atmosphere, both anthems booed, Paul Ince getting monkey chants. Was brilliant though giving the brits the fingers in the West Upper when Kelly scored!
The Guards should have been better prepared though because there was trouble between rival english firms in Abbey street and Marlborough street the night before the game.

The London Irish fanzine "On the One Road" had decent articles after both games.

Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Was on the north terrace.
No trouble my way but learned later there was a crush as people made their way for the exit and how it was lucky no one was seriously injured or worse

I couldn't get a south terrace ticket that night so was on the north. Cabra Hoop touches on what happened underneath but it rarely gets reported as the main trouble was obviously down the other end. What happened was that the English had a limited number of terrace tickets and had been housed in the old schoolboy pen on the north terrace over to the right as you look out to the pitch. The place was hopping that night, we were flying at the time and England hadn't yet had a competitive game since 93 and hadn't really found their feet under Vemables. Atmosphere was a proper old school football atmosphere that might walking up to the ground, bit of an edge despite it being a friendly but really good, everyone well up for it and very confident. Anyway game started and we were right on it, dominating the game, McGrath absolutely bossing Shearer and we were well worth the lead, place erupted when Kelly scored. Then they broke and had a goal rightly disallowed for offside, think it was Platt. They'd been waiting for a spark in the East Upper and that was it, next thing all hell broke loose, seats ripped up etc. We'd seen scenes like that involving England over the years although never over here but still thought the Gardai would sort it out and the game would resume even after the players went off but they were woefully undermanned and ill prepared. People always talk about the English being put in the East Upper as being an idiotic idea but that oversimplifies it. They were there for the Euro qualifier in 90 as well and other than a shower of lighters and coins on us in the south terrace there was no trouble in the ground because that section had a ring of uniformed Guards around them and as soon as anyone acted up they either had a quiet word in their ear or were collared. Difference in 95 was that, due to the peace process and ongoing IRA ceasefire, a decision was made to have a lower key police presence so while I believe there were plenty of plain clothes Guards in there, that was no deterrent to anyone so things escalated very quickly beyond those who had come to start it.

Anyway, we were waiting on the North for the Guards to regain control but it soon became clear this wouldn't happen. Next thing there's an announcement for Ireland fans to leave the stadium as the game was being abandoned. When the stewards started unlocking gates one of them opened the gate to the schoolboy pen by mistake and the English in there burst out and ran around under the terrace to the exit people were leaving through that also led to the pitch. There were Irish lads on the top of the terrace could see over the wall and saw these English rushing through the crowd swinging boots and digs under the terrace and started shouting "Get back, get back!!" at us. We were close to the exit at the stage and next thing there's a huge surge back and a gang of English burst through screaming "ENGLAND, ENGLAND!" still swinging and kicking, they ran onto the pitch and straight down to where the trouble was. I was literally picked off my feet in the surge and moved back about 10 feet or more, hard to tell. Was lucky no one went over or it could have been a lot worse.

Total buzz kill on the night though, reckon we'd have beaten them 2 or 3 that night.

90 was different, nothing in the ground but mayhem on O'Connell St after, ended up holed up in the Daniel O'Connell beside the bridge till closing, tried to leave between 6 and 7 and was stopped doing so so settled in for the evening!

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 21 Jan 2015 at 7:16pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Junior Junior wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Was it not Dessie Ellis getting extradited that day?
14th Nov 1990 was Dessie's extradition day, havent cheked if the dates coincide

Yeah it was alright.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUEfTtY0BY
I feel drunk watching that

Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

No trouble my way but learned later there was a crush as people made their way for the exit and how it was lucky no one was seriously injured or worse

I couldn't get a south terrace ticket that night so was on the north. Cabra Hoop touches on what happened underneath but it rarely gets reported as the main trouble was obviously down the other end. What happened was that the English had a limited number of terrace tickets and had been housed in the old schoolboy pen on the north terrace over to the right as you look out to the pitch. The place was hopping that night, we were flying at the time and England hadn't yet had a competitive game since 93 and hadn't really found their feet under Vemables. Atmosphere was a proper old school football atmosphere that might walking up to the ground, bit of an edge despite it being a friendly but really good, everyone well up for it and very confident. Anyway game started and we were right on it, dominating the game, McGrath absolutely bossing Shearer and we were well worth the lead, place erupted when Kelly scored. Then they broke and had a goal rightly disallowed for offside, think it was Platt. They'd been waiting for a spark in the East Upper and that was it, next thing all hell broke loose, seats ripped up etc. We'd seen scenes like that involving England over the years although never over here but still thought the Gardai would sort it out and the game would resume even after the players went off but they were woefully undermanned and ill prepared. People always talk about the English being put in the East Upper as being an idiotic idea but that oversimplifies it. They were there for the Euro qualifier in 90 as well and other than a shower of lighters and coins on us in the south terrace there was no trouble in the ground because that section had a ring of uniformed Guards around them and as soon as anyone acted up they either had a quiet word in their ear or were collared. Difference in 95 was that, due to the peace process and ongoing IRA ceasefire, a decision was made to have a lower key police presence so while I believe there were plenty of plain clothes Guards in there, that was no deterrent to anyone so things escalated very quickly beyond those who had come to start it.

Anyway, we were waiting on the North for the Guards to regain control but it soon became clear this wouldn't happen. Next thing there's an announcement for Ireland fans to leave the stadium as the game was being abandoned. When the stewards started unlocking gates one of them opened the gate to the schoolboy pen by mistake and the English in there burst out and ran around under the terrace to the exit people were leaving through that also led to the pitch. There were Irish lads on the top of the terrace could see over the wall and saw these English rushing through the crowd swinging boots and digs under the terrace and started shouting "Get back, get back!!" at us. We were close to the exit at the stage and next thing there's a huge surge back and a gang of English burst through screaming "ENGLAND, ENGLAND!" still swinging and kicking, they ran onto the pitch and straight down to where the trouble was. I was literally picked off my feet in the surge and moved back about 10 feet or more, hard to tell. Was lucky no one went over or it could have been a lot worse.

Total buzz kill on the night though, reckon we'd have beaten them 2 or 3 that night.

90 was different, nothing in the ground but mayhem on O'Connell St after, ended up holed up in the Daniel O'Connell beside the bridge till closing, tried to leave between 6 and 7 and was stopped doing so so settled in for the evening!

You paint a vivid picture D69. Very scary I'd imagine.

I'd be going to games about 2 years at that point from Manchester and although I desperately wanted to get over for the game in '95, myself and my mate decided to give it a miss so that we could go to the qualifier the following month against the Nordies (1-1 game). I was only earning about £50 a week at the time and as it was I was subbing off my ma and da left right and centre to get to the home games, so squeezing in another friendly wasn't really an option.

As horrible as those scenes were, I'd be lying if I didn't say a part of me wishes I had made it over to the game. Its part of Irish footballing history and will be talked of forever more. Probably went to 90% of home and away games in the next 10 years so it just feels a bit odd, that I didn't get to it.

Still. its in the record books as a 1-0 win (afaik?) and thankfully no one was permanently injured or worse.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:15am
Nope, in the record books as match abandoned
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:37am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

FAI awarded caps and recognise Kelly's goal in his stats. English FA didn't award caps.
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Good article on the 1991 Wembley encounter - Niall Quinn had some life.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/tickets-tension-and-songs-on-night-that-changed-everything-29297345.html

Good article. Brings the memories flooding back. Was a 16 year old watching it in The Grove in Manchester (big Irish pub / club at the time). Place was packed to the rafters and when Quinner side footed it in to the net the place exploded. Pretty much set the scene for me personally for the next 25 years!Smile

Anywhere you could find that full game online? I haven't seen it since, just Quinn's goal.
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:39am

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

FAI awarded caps and recognise Kelly's goal in his stats. English FA didn't award caps.

Thanks. Yeah, I had heard from a mate that it was recognised. Perhaps it was just the goal then, rather than the actual 1-0 result. Tried confirming this on FAI, UEFA websites but didn't have any luck. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:45am

You paint a vivid picture D69. Very scary I'd imagine.

I'd be going to games about 2 years at that point from Manchester and although I desperately wanted to get over for the game in '95, myself and my mate decided to give it a miss so that we could go to the qualifier the following month against the Nordies (1-1 game). I was only earning about £50 a week at the time and as it was I was subbing off my ma and da left right and centre to get to the home games, so squeezing in another friendly wasn't really an option.

As horrible as those scenes were, I'd be lying if I didn't say a part of me wishes I had made it over to the game. Its part of Irish footballing history and will be talked of forever more. Probably went to 90% of home and away games in the next 10 years so it just feels a bit odd, that I didn't get to it.

Still. its in the record books as a 1-0 win (afaik?) and thankfully no one was permanently injured or worse.

I think it was the beginning of the end for Jack's team, we had a great 1-0 home victory against Portugal the following month and thought the bandwagon was rolling again but then laboured to a 1-1 draw at home to the nordies before the Lichtenstein debacle and the Austria farce. I'd gone to Australia on a year's working holiday visa not long after the draw with the north so I'd have done my year and would be back in time to stop off in England for the Euros on the way home in Summer 96 but was only over there a matter of months and the whole campaign had fallen apart. Best laid plans and all that!

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 22 Jan 2015 at 10:56am
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:48am
Had we beat the Nordies we only needed a point to qualify IIRC.

In the end we needed the Austrians to lose to Latvia (I think) and the North for us to get into the play-off at Anfield.
kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 11:18am

Remember going to the game with my dad and in the same section. My dad use to go the games with his best mate but on Friendlies or the odd qualifier me or the bro would be brought, so the England game was my turn, was only 11 but never been so excited to go to a game as that one. I remember the goal vividly and the trouble in the East stand starting after the disallowed goal. As you say we were told to leave, we were pretty close to the exit so started to head down, some aul fella went for the staris same time i did and he motions to let me go ahead and my dad fell in behind him, he starts talking asking was i enjoying the game etc then as we get to the exit all hell brakes loose. I turned around and could see the fear in my dads face and the scramble to grab me. As we start running back towards the pitch the aul lad i was talking to falls over, he went down so quick no one could help him. At this stage im sh*tting myself. My dad just grabs me in a headlock type hold and runs with me to the west stand and out as quick as possible. The walk to the car and the ride home was so quiet. I never seen my dad so scared in my life, both of us were shaking, all i could think of was the aul lad that fell. 
Stopped going to games for a good while after that but eventually my dad coxed me back into going.

Read it 3 times before posting
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Was it not Dessie Ellis getting extradited that day?
14th Nov 1990 was Dessie's extradition day, havent cheked if the dates coincide

Yeah it was alright.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUEfTtY0BY
I feel drunk watching that

That crowd Clap
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 3:30pm
Just looked at the RTE 9 O'Clock News from the night of the game on youtube, a 60 year old man died at the match from a Heart Attack and an English fella was stabbed.

The game at Wembley in 1991 was a scary affair. I was with 3 other lads and we were in one of the English sections. The lad i got the ticket from was Manc Irish and he joined the England Travel Club to buy tickets. I was sitting beside a couple from Hartlepool and was chatting with them before kick-off. The seemed alright. England scored very early and all was ok. As the first half went on we got on top and had a 5 minute spell where we had them under intense pressure. We had to score during this period and Quinner duly converted a cross from Big Paulie. Much as i had planned on restraining myself if we scored, i couldnt and celebrated with gusto. When i went to sit down the girl from Hartlepool spat straight into my face. All the english around seen this and were waiting for me to react. They were spoiling for a fight. I just wiped the spittle away with my scarf and sat down. I was livid. A copper came and stood in the aisle keeping an eye on things. Within minutes little scuffles were breaking all over the english sections and police were in pulling people out. I was quite nervous after that and couldnt enjoy the game. God knows what would have happened if Razor hadnt missed a sitter in the last minute. At the final whistle the fella from Hartlepool offered me his hand to shake. He made a face as if to apologise for the spit.

As for the game in 1980, i had my hat and scarf nicked by a couple of skinheads.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 3:45pm
After the 1991 Wembley game I went into work the next day in London.
Some work colleagues were complimentary and said we should have won.
Other work-mates wouldnt talk to me.
They knew we'd absolutely bashed them.

Edited by Gary McKay - 22 Jan 2015 at 3:46pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 4:07pm
I was at the '91 game with my Dad but was in the Irish section so it was grand. I remeber going to the U21 match the night before in Brentford. England beat us 3-0, I think Roy Keane was the captain that night. Anyway, we got some hassle on the bus that night off a couple of arseholes. I was only 8 years old, there must have been some hatred for peolple to start abusing a man going to a football match with his 8 year old son.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Just looked at the RTE 9 O'Clock News from the night of the game on youtube, a 60 year old man died at the match from a Heart Attack and an English fella was stabbed.

The '95 game?

If so, I stand corrected, didnt realise there were any casualties as such on the night. English Fella stabbed at the ground or in the town?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 4:31pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The '95 game?

If so, I stand corrected, didnt realise there were any casualties as such on the night. English Fella stabbed at the ground or in the town?
Did'nt say but she was talking about events in LR....have a look yourself.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:24pm
HEre's the late news from that night - reports were that one died. Some interesting footage!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic