You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v England 1995

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote shanejcos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland v England 1995
    Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 7:21pm
Hi All,

I am a student journalist about to write a piece on the Ireland v England match in 1995 as it's the 20th anniversary and we are about to have a rematch in the summer.

Guys, it would be great to have some feedback on the angle you believe I should take on this:
- Political
- Sporting
- Social
- Other or a mix of the above

I would also love the opportunity to have an interview with anybody who was at the original game, the pints would be on me of course Smile

Many Thanks in advance,
Shane
Sponsored Links

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 9:12pm
Remember the game well, we were in Paddy Cullens before the game, great atmosphere, don't recall any English fans in the pub, and we were seated in the East Lower down near the Havelock Sq end, went straight back to the Cullens after the match was abandoned and got hammered.

Avoided town like the plague.
I know nothing :-)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 9:51pm
I was at the game as a 12 year old in the south terrace near the trouble.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:10pm
Was on the north terrace.
No trouble my way but learned later there was a crush as people made their way for the exit and how it was lucky no one was seriously injured or worse
shanejcos View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote shanejcos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:30pm
Great stuff guys, much appreciated.

I'm not sure if you can PM on this but I would like to get in touch with a few of you guys after a week or two to let others contribute. 

Thanks again and look forward to other contributions.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:33pm
You need a few more points to have PM rights.

Lads, hit thanks on Shane's posts to free him up.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Remember the game well, we were in Paddy Cullens before the game, great atmosphere, don't recall any English fans in the pub, and we were seated in the East Lower down near the Havelock Sq end, went straight back to the Cullens after the match was abandoned and got hammered.

Was the east lower not all terraced, I was only 11 but remember not being able to see the game properly because of it

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 11:21pm
Went to the game straight after school with a friend and his grandad. Both of them were up right beside the Tans while I was down with a few others in the school boy terrace South stand. You could feel it in the air that something was gonna happen. The english didn't stop singing no surrender etc. when it all kicked off there was a surge of our lads to the gate to have a go at the english. Met me friend and his grandad after and they said it was mental up there beside the English support. His grandad (ex boxer) gave one of them a dig straight to kidneys and yer man went down then they legged it as it was getting out of control. A match and atmosphere I will never forget in lansdowne road.
Chips don't bounce
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 11:23pm
The FAI fcuked up as usual.
Thats all you need to know.
They ignored the advise of The FA and NCIS Football Unit.
Sure it'll be grand.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 12:04am
The trouble at that match cannot be evaluated without analysing the prevailing political circumstances in the years prior to the game. It has been generally accepted that it was a premeditated riot orchestrated by well know far right activists with close loyalist connections. I was at the game on North Terrace quite close to a pen where a couple of hundred English fans were massed. When the trouble erupted and the match stopped, they broke through on to the pitch and ran over to the other England 'fans' in the West Stand. The ironic thing for me was despite what happened that night at the ground, there was very little trouble around town that night unlike in 1990 when there was lots of scraps all over town.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 12:43am
It was my first ever Ireland game as I was studding in Dublin at the time, had a few pints in Paddy Cullen's before the game was in the East Terence when it kicked off. Left the game and walked back to the North Star Hotel after the game. Most pubs and McDonald's were shut down on the route back to the city center . Later that night we were in a pub upstairs in o Connell street ( mcgraths maybe) riot gardai came up and took a few English out of it. The most disappointing aspect of the night was that we were tearing them apart on the pitch before it was abandoned.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 19 Jan 2015 at 12:44am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 12:50am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

It was my first ever Ireland game as I was studding in Dublin at the time, had a few pints in Paddy Cullen's before the game was in the East Terence when it kicked off. Left the game and walked back to the North Star Hotel after the game. Most pubs and McDonald's were shut down on the route back to the city center . Later that night we were in a pub upstairs in o Connell street ( mcgraths maybe) riot gardai came up and took a few English out of it. The most disappointing aspect of the night was that we were tearing them apart on the pitch before it was abandoned.

So true, we would have hammered them 
I know nothing :-)
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 12:55am
what happened in 1990 cabra?

I was at it but far too young to remember any trouble around town. My mates old lad gave some English lout a belt on the dart who was picking on a Irish teenagers. 

1995 was a weird one. The atmosphere was hopping but felt evil. No harm in that against the old enemy. It was great until they started throwing things. Would have happily listened to them drone on with their no surrender chants if it meant beating them and the game finishing

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The trouble at that match cannot be evaluated without analysing the prevailing political circumstances in the years prior to the game. It has been generally accepted that it was a premeditated riot orchestrated by well know far right activists with close loyalist connections. I was at the game on North Terrace quite close to a pen where a couple of hundred English fans were massed. When the trouble erupted and the match stopped, they broke through on to the pitch and ran over to the other England 'fans' in the West Stand. The ironic thing for me was despite what happened that night at the ground, there was very little trouble around town that night unlike in 1990 when there was lots of scraps all over town.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Was the east lower not all terraced, I was only 11 but remember not being able to see the game properly because of it
East lower was always seated then there was the East terrace in front of that

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 8:51am
ah right so, only time i was ever in that section!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:12am
As has been said we were slaughtering them on the pitch.  Warren Barton made his engurlund debut and was being run ragged.  David Kelly was in great club form with Wolves if I remember at the time and was playing superbly.  Had one disallowed and scored one.  I remember McGrath had Shearer in his back pocket.  There was a moment Shearer turned McGrath but Paul then just pivoted the other way to take the ball off Shearer.  It was the finest piece of defending I've ever seen and if an England player had done it they'd still be showing it on TV!  We really could have stuffed them that night. 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The FAI fcuked up as usual.
Thats all you need to know.
They ignored the advise of The FA and NCIS Football Unit.
Sure it'll be grand.

I remember been given tickets from the FAI with visiting F.A. stamped on them. I assumed they where returned from the English FA so where in or close to their section. Went into Merrion Sq to swop them for East stand tickets, they did this no problem and told me there would be NO TROUBLE as all the English fans have been vetted by the FA. I think that muppet Bernard O'Byrne was head of security at the time,
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:04am
I knew there'd be trouble when the fixture was announced.  There was still a scum element travelling to England games.  USA 94 had passed off so well with England not being there and it had been brilliant to not be worrying if there were scumbags in a bar looking to kick off as in Euro 88/Italia 90.

The Gardai were hopelessly ill-prepared for it and the FAI re-sold tickets they shouldn't have and putting the English fans in the West Upper just defied logic (20 years on they still defy logic when it comes to ticketing), it was only a matter of time that night as it proved.  I was opposite in the East Lower so we just shuffled off angrily when the game was abandoned and had several pints in the Burlington after.  I remember me Da (rightly) giving out to me for not ringing home to say I was ok (no mobiles back then).

As for the 27 minutes or whatever it was, we were killing them on the park and scored a wonderful goal and as said elsewhere, Shearer was buried deep in McGrath's pocket together with Signori from the previous June.

Horrible night otherwise, I don't however see history repeating itself this year off the park.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic