Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland V England 1957

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland V England 1957
    Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 2:43pm

Maybe the likes of AidoM and Claret Murph may remember this.  

3 October 1956Republic of Ireland 2 – 1 DenmarkDublinRepublic of Ireland[show] 

5 December 1956England 5 – 2 DenmarkWolverhampton, England[show] 

8 May 1957England 5 – 1 Republic of IrelandLondon, England[show] 

15 May 1957Denmark 1 – 4 EnglandCopenhagen, Denmark[show] 

19 May 1957Republic of Ireland 1 – 1 EnglandDublinRepublic of Ireland[show] 

2 November 1957Denmark 0 – 2 Republic of IrelandCopenhagen, Denmark[show] 

Edited by Baldrick - 07 Nov 2013 at 2:46pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 2:54pm
i believe the hornet was at all these matches , with his son.

Edited by RogerMilla - 07 Nov 2013 at 2:55pm
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:20pm

Johnny "f**king" Ayteo..............

Did Philip Greene refuse to commentate on the infamous game against Yugoslavia in 1955 after JCM told people not to attend ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:24pm
Another last minute equalizer to scupper our challenge
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:25pm
It is said that when England scored that late goal in Dalymount to draw the silence  could be heard in  O'Connell St.
alive and kicking
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:27pm
Love that commentary, the silence is truly eerie.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:34pm
My favourite Philip Greene story was one when Rovers were playing in St. Mels against Athlone in the 80's. Philip was reporting for Sunday Sport. So they go to St. Mels for an update from Philip just as a fire breaks out in the press back. Philip get all excited and rambles on and on about the fire before finishing his report with "and its one nil to Athlone".
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:34pm
Dunphy said we would have qualified.   

I do not understand how we would have been ahead of England.   
AKA pedantic kunt
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

he wasnt even at the game he says he coudltn get in and only got home to catch the end on the radio, i think we can take it with a pinch of salt
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:43pm

Had we won that match we would have finished level on 6 points apiece and there would have been a playoff between ourselves and england. There was no goal difference then.

Wales qualified in 1958 (there only time) despite being eliminated in qualifying. Israel were to play Belgium in a play-off but Belgium refused so FIFA invited Wales to take Belgiums place, which they did and duly won.  
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 4:18pm

My Dad was on the terraces that day and said it was absolutely packed.

A win would have given us a playoff. 

A friend of my Dad's says it was the first FAI block booking campaign.  You had to buy a Denmark ticket to be sure of an England one.

Philip Greene and white was a brilliant commentator. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Had we won that match we would have finished level on 6 points apiece and there would have been a playoff between ourselves and england. There was no goal difference then.

Wales qualified in 1958 (there only time) despite being eliminated in qualifying. Israel were to play Belgium in a play-off but Belgium refused so FIFA invited Wales to take Belgiums place, which they did and duly won.  

Any idea why Belgium were the chosen ones to play the chosen ones and then Wales. Picked out of a hat at random?? or early days of FIFA political greasing??

Edited by Dalymount79 - 07 Nov 2013 at 4:53pm
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i believe the hornet was at all these matches , with his son.

Nice try Roger

Was not at any of them..... couldn't get time off work
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Any idea why Belgium were the chosen ones to play the chosen ones and then Wales. Picked out of a hat at random?? or early days of FIFA political greasing??
Wikipedia says that FIFA had ruled that no team could qualify with out playing a match, as in previous qualifiers teams withdrawing had meant some teams qualifying without playing. Israel were in Africa/Asia at the time, in round one they drew Turkey who refused to play in the Africa/Asia group (presume they wanted to be in Europe), in the second round Israel drew Indonesia who withdrew after their request to play them on neutral ground was refused, they then got to the final round against Sudan, who also refused to play them for political reason. This meant they would have qualified without playing, so they had to play against a UEFA team. Belgium refused and Wales were called upon, but it doesn't say why Belgium refused.
The FIFA site doesn't go into the full detail of the anti - Israeli feeling across Africa and Asia, it just says "The Welsh were able to take advantage of an unusual situation in the Africa/Asia zone, where a flood of withdrawals would have led to Israel qualifying without having played a single match. This prompted FIFA to rule that qualification without playing was not allowed, and so Israel were ordered to play against one of the teams finishing second in the other groups. The luck of the draw favoured Wales, who defeated Israel 2-0 twice early in 1958."
Going by the bit in bold, they must have had a draw of all of the 2nd place UEFA teams, Belgium got drawn, didn't fancy it, so Wales got drawn instead?
And that's also basically why Israel are now in UEFA.
Edit: actually it might not have been only UEFA teams involved in the Israel playoff, someone on the Wikipedia talk page reckons he has a Swedish book that says both Uruguay and Belgium refused to play them, not 100% clear if Uruguay (or Belgium for that matter) refused to participate before the draw and Wales got drawn, or if Belgium got drawn, refused to play and then Wales.

Edited by Hoosay - 07 Nov 2013 at 6:41pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:43pm

I'm pretty sure all the 2nd placed teams incl us were put into a hat and Wales were drawn out.

We were also invited to the 1950 World Cup in Brazil and turned it down. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:18pm

Maybe the likes of AidoM and Claret Murph may remember this.  

3 October 1956Republic of Ireland 2 – 1 DenmarkDublinRepublic of Ireland[show] 

5 December 1956England 5 – 2 DenmarkWolverhampton, England[show] 

8 May 1957England 5 – 1 Republic of IrelandLondon, England[show] 

15 May 1957Denmark 1 – 4 EnglandCopenhagen, Denmark[show] 

19 May 1957Republic of Ireland 1 – 1 EnglandDublinRepublic of Ireland[show] 

2 November 1957Denmark 0 – 2 Republic of IrelandCopenhagen, Denmark[show] 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh at last before i was born Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I'm pretty sure all the 2nd placed teams incl us were put into a hat and Wales were drawn out.

We were also invited to the 1950 World Cup in Brazil and turned it down. 
what???? Surely financial reasons?

Jaysus it took another 40 years before we qualified for our first.

Edited by colemanY2K - 07 Nov 2013 at 8:51pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:56pm
Scotland withdrew aswell as they claimed they would only travel as 'British' Champions (the old Home Internationals).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic