You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Austria - 11th June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 545556
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:38am
Really disappointed with the first half, they just didn't show up at all. I know there's a lot of talk about being a long ball team and hoofing it aimlessly and all that, but how many times on Sunday did any one of our defenders have the ball, took a touch, took another touch, and another, and not a single midfielder is showing for them. Backs turned. Edge closer to an Austrian. Don't give me the ball please. All of them were at it. Premier League midfielders terrified of getting on the ball. Hendrick was far and away the worst for it though. He can't start any more, he just doesn't deserve it. 

Then if you're playing a long ball, nobody was running off Walters. He won quite a few of those aimless hoofballs but there was nobody near him. Must have been incredibly frustrating for him all day long.

Look I thought we improved a lot in the second half though in fairness, I think just by virtue of Murphy occupying a second defender, an extra body in support, it caused the Austrians a lot more problems. We didn't do anything drastically different but we looked like we had more urgency. The frustrating thing is how we haven't gone for the jugular when games have been there for us to win - Vienna aside. I don't understand it considering what these players have achieved results wise. Yes we are in an excellent position still but I really think Sunday was the biggest missed opportunity of the lot.
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:59pm
My thoughts on Sunday's disappointing yet predictable result now that the dust has settled......

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:46pm
If we play like we did in the 2nd half I can accept the hoof ball tactics. Just watched the highlights there and we'd 8 good chances in the 2nd half. 
We had one wayward Walters shot in the 1st half
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:27am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/steven-reid-we-struggle-to-deal-with-expectations-of-victory-35819639.html

Good article by Steven Reid

Yeah good read. Beat Georgia and hoof the ball for 90 against the serbs LOL
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

1. There was no push. You are the only person seeing a push, because it gives you more ammunition for a rant. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good rant? There is an obvious difference between the application of pressure and an illegal.

2. The chances to win the group are not as "great" as you're letting on. Serbia have turned out to be a better proposition than expected, and we played a full strength Wales team without giving them much change. Yesterday's result was poor, but that is no reason
For utter dismay.

3. When people started calling for Trapp to go it was subsequent to an appalling Euros where his system was found out and he brought the wrong squad of players, while also getting hammered in almost successive games. That's not happene here.

The fact is it was a push and the ref did what he had to do. Most pundits agree and if they don't, they understand why it wasn't given, so it's more than just me looking for ammo.

We will never get a group as generous as this again. No Germany, no France, no Spain, no Holland, no England, no Portugal. The whole of Europe is envious of our group, especially those in the Italy and Spain group where the top two spots were locked up and the key thrown away before a ball was kicked. As it is, second spot in our group may not even get a play off. That would be a fair reflection of the chronic lack of ambition to take advantage of home games against Wales and Austria and drop 4 points. The full strength Wales side we faced was stuffed with nobodies from the likes of Stoke City and Aston Villa. And we were terrified of facing them, yet we want to go to the World Cup.

In the Trap Euros we faced both finalists that neither we nor anyone else could get the better of. After that, we got hammered in one game by the World Champions. So did the hosts of the tournament. That's what they're capable of.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:53am
Alternative facts Clap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:26am
"It was shocking. It was worse than Trapattoni. I suppose you couldn't be worse than Trapattoni. But it was pretty awful. And it didn't improve much in the second half except we just have the most amazing spirit in that team," said Dunphy.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Alternative facts Clap

One thing I can safely say is we probably wouldn't have beaten Austria away or any of our other rivals in this group under Trap.

O'Neill at least will change things round if the situation calls for it.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:01pm
Blog now up on the YBIG homepage if anyone missed it and fancies a read.

https://www.ybig.ie/only-the-names-have-changed/
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Yeah I enjoyed it - can hear the frustration through your writing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Yeah I enjoyed it - can hear the frustration through your writing.

Cheers. Wrote the initial draft on Monday, was fairly frustrated alright!
kevblackcat12 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevblackcat12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:16am
Brilliant blog, keep them coming bud
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 545556
  Share Topic