Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:28am
Italy (again)
Ireland
Norway
Turkey
Latvia
San Marino
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:02am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Italy (again)
Ireland
Norway
Turkey
Latvia
San Marino

Unfortunately, that looks a pretty tough draw. Dont seem to have been rewarded for our 2nd seeding. Norway are always competitive at U21 level and Turkey have to be a decent 4th seed?

J C
Idah Dream!
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:13am
How have Norway qualified for the tournament this summer and are 3rd seeds, whereas we haven't but are second seeds.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:40am
sh*te draw. Norway were the top ranked third seeds so we didn't really get any benefit from being second seeds.

You'll probably have Ireland, Norway and Turkey taking points off each other all over the place, so not much chance of getting one of the three automatic second place qualification places even if we do manage to come second in the group.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Feb 2023 at 9:44am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Italy (again)
Ireland
Norway
Turkey
Latvia
San Marino
Brutal Dead
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:38am
2nd seeds and we get THAT group ugh. Norway and Turkey always seem to have good players coming through. Confused
Its not like we have a good coach either to outsmart the opposition.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 11:42am
Brutal draw. I am sure this will be painful viewing.
Turkey have a lot of nice players coming through.
I still find it perplexing Crawford got another go.
It really was some of the worst footaball I watched recently
 It would not shock me if we came 4th here.
Crawford would probably struggle to hold down a job in the league of Ireland. I don't really get how we place so little prestige in our 21's team.

Spain and England's managers were both promoted to the senior role, as was Kenny. If the association can't see a 21's manager potentially taking the role he should not get the 21's job. Do they think Crawford is viable for the top job?
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 11:55am
You could look at the group another way and say if the u21s is all about development, its not a bad thing we get such a tough group. 6 great games there.

The problem is with Crawford he will play for results rather than try to develop players/system.

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:03pm
Tough group but not a lot worse than the last one. Much weaker 5/6th seeds this time. Montenegro took points off Italy & Bosnia and Luxembourg took points off ourselves.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:08pm
We just have to accept that we aren't going to qualify for U21 tournaments. We came close under Kenny. Had he finished that campaign as the U21 manager, we might have qualified. As long as we're bringing through players who go on to play for the senior team, that's all we can ask for. Qualification is a bonus.

Like Ireland, Italy, Norway and Turkey fast track their best teenage talents.

Italy have already given senior caps to players like Scalvini (19), Miretti (19), Gnonto (19) and Parfundi (16).

Arda Güler (17) is a Turkey senior international.

We could play the likes of Bazunu, Omobamidele, and Ferguson. But won't, as they're already senior internationals.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:11pm
On paper Norway make it look tough, but they may have aged out their better players.
Turkey did nothing of note in the last campaign, but they may have uncovered some incredible 19-year olds.
Italy, we can be sure, are a conveyor-belt of talent and should top the group easy.

But until the first round or two of games have been played, we don't really know how they compare to us.

I agree with Nialler though, watching JC's 21's is a slog and unnecessarily so.
I won't forgive him for ceeding all initiative to Israel in that 2nd leg.
We did the same v's Sweden and smashed & grabbed the win, but the same negative approach ran aground in Israel.
Still, I expect he'll try it again in this campaign, likely to our detriment.

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

On paper Norway make it look tough, but they may have aged out their better players.
Turkey did nothing of note in the last campaign, but they may have uncovered some incredible 19-year olds.
Italy, we can be sure, are a conveyor-belt of talent and should top the group easy.

But until the first round or two of games have been played, we don't really know how they compare to us.

I agree with Nialler though, watching JC's 21's is a slog and unnecessarily so.
I won't forgive him for ceeding all initiative to Israel in that 2nd leg.
We did the same v's Sweden and smashed & grabbed the win, but the same negative approach ran aground in Israel.
Still, I expect he'll try it again in this campaign, likely to our detriment.

The two best Norway U21 talents are probably Kristian Arnstad (19, Anderlecht) and Oscar Bobb (19, Man City).
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

The two best Norway U21 talents are probably Kristian Arnstad (19, Anderlecht) and Oscar Bobb (19, Man City).

Cheers.  One lad a PL2 talent, and the other a semi-regular for Anderlecht.
A chance Arnstad gets upped to their seniors.

So who are our best prospects?
Sure, Ferguson, but he's gone up.
Hodge then, I'd say, but he may get promoted out of this squad.

Then we're looking at the likes of Cannon, Odubeko, Armstrong, Costelloe and Garcia-McNulty who would be playing regular enough men's football.
Or some at least.

Others like Adaramola, Lawal, OkoFlex, Moran, O'Neill, Ebosele, Roughan etc. could be decent (and we have high hopes for some, Moran especially) but don't play senior football as yet, so we can call them mostly untested.
Then again, I'd expect Norway's squad to be full of the same type of player.

Looking at Greenie's list of potential squad members, we should not be fearing anyone in this competition bar Italy, who we'll again be lucky to get anything from, as they seem a league above us at this level consistently.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Cheers.  One lad a PL2 talent, and the other a semi-regular for Anderlecht.
A chance Arnstad gets upped to their seniors.

So who are our best prospects?
Sure, Ferguson, but he's gone up.
Hodge then, I'd say, but he may get promoted out of this squad.

Then we're looking at the likes of Cannon, Odubeko, Armstrong, Costelloe and Garcia-McNulty who would be playing regular enough men's football.
Or some at least.

Others like Adaramola, Lawal, OkoFlex, Moran, O'Neill, Ebosele, Roughan etc. could be decent (and we have high hopes for some, Moran especially) but don't play senior football as yet, so we can call them mostly untested.
Then again, I'd expect Norway's squad to be full of the same type of player.

Looking at Greenie's list of potential squad members, we should not be fearing anyone in this competition bar Italy, who we'll again be lucky to get anything from, as they seem a league above us at this level consistently.
Roughan is regular at Lincoln City, can see Cannon developing fast and promoted to seniors before campaign out, above parrot in pecking order at PNE. Wouldn’t surprised see Parrot back in U21s if Obafemi, Ferguson, Connolly hit run of form rest of season
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:08pm
It's a pretty horrible draw considering we are the 2nd seeds. I expect to see a lot of unambitious defensive performances; Crawford is conservative at the best of times and that draw is a lot worse than the best of times.
We're decent enough..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Roughan is regular at Lincoln City, can see Cannon developing fast and promoted to seniors before campaign out, above parrot in pecking order at PNE. Wouldn’t surprised see Parrot back in U21s if Obafemi, Ferguson, Connolly hit run of form rest of season

Good point about Roughan.
I was gonna mention Parrott.  It would be a big story were he to drop back.
Connolly set a precendent, and it should be a thing we do more regularly.

Interesting to see what happens come the June window if Troy is still only a bit-part at PNE.
In fact, he's an outsider for next month's senior squad as things stand, but surely he won't join up with the 21's if they only have a friendly in March.

Edited by Fozz - 02 Feb 2023 at 1:12pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:14pm
Zero chance Parrott won’t be in the senior squad on merit or not. Obafemi Ferguson Robinson Ogbene Parrott I suspect will be the 5! 

Also little indication that Cannon is ahead of Parrott yet. In 6/7 games time if he’s still starting ahead of Parrott fair enough! Troy couldn’t play last weekend and is only back from injury.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Zero chance Parrott won’t be in the senior squad on merit or not. Obafemi Ferguson Robinson Ogbene Parrott I suspect will be the 5! 

Also little indication that Cannon is ahead of Parrott yet. In 6/7 games time if he’s still starting ahead of Parrott fair enough! Troy couldn’t play last weekend and is only back from injury.
Wouldn’t be so sure, Kenny not afraid drop players. Back to topic of U21s I do feel if parrot doesn’t add goals to his game at championship level he will be overtook and back with under 21s. He has achieved nothing at championship level. He is a good League One player trying to step to championship. Done nothing to make him undropable or indispensable at senior level. Can see him back with U21s for start of campaign.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>
  Share Topic