You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U17s thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 37>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 5:54pm
So it's Spain in the QFs after they drew 1-1 with Serbia which also means we're one of the two best second placed teams when it comes to deciding the WC playoff spot.
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

So it's Spain in the QFs after they drew 1-1 with Serbia which also means we're one of the two best second placed teams when it comes to deciding the WC playoff spot.

Not necessarily. We'd be behind England or Poland if either of those lose their quarters as well so need both of them to win to be sure.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Not necessarily. We'd be behind England or Poland if either of those lose their quarters as well so need both of them to win to be sure.

Can't see either losing tbf. At the same time I can't see us beating Switzerland either.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:15pm
Coming up against Yamal who recently made his debut for Barcelona first team should be interesting.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:52pm
When is the next game?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

When is the next game?

Saturday
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Banana Republic-McGrath was born in England, Sheedy in Wales. Good team there, admittedly.

That's why I said largely. 9/11 of them.

McGrath was only born in England because of a technicality, really. He was born in London because of how backwards Ireland was at the time.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

By my reckoning, to be one of the best two losing Quarter Finalists (assuming we lose to Spain), then we need England to beat France and Poland to beat Serbia. We would then have to face off against the loser of the Germany Switzerland QF for the final WC spot. Given results to date, I'd be fairly hopeful of that scenario playing out. Beating the Swiss (or the Germans) will be a tall order however, but we are scoring plenty of goals.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:42am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Coming up against Yamal who recently made his debut for Barcelona first team should be interesting.

They're not the best group of Spanish youngsters outside of him from what I've seen and read.

Yamal is a huge talent. He can win games on his own, so he could be the difference. 

Guiu îs a good finisher. He's another Barcelona player. They're their main source of goals.

Germany are probably the best team at the tournament.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 11:21am
PREVIEW from fai.ie hereunder, will definitely be tuning in for this one despite the sh*tness of the rte player!

Match Details
Competition: UEFA European Under-17 Championship Quarter-Finals
Fixture: Spain MU17 v Ireland MU17
Date: Saturday, May 26
Venue: Hidegkuti Nándor Stadium, Budapest
Kick-off: 7pm (Irish time)
Where to watch: RTÉ News Channel & RTÉPlayer
Tickets: Tickets for the game and the remaining tournament fixtures can be purchased here TICKETS
Latest team news: Ireland have no serious injury concerns ahead of the match.

Ireland Men's Under-17s Head Coach Colin O'Brien said: "The players have shown tremendous quality to come back from defeat in the opening game against Poland. We were determined we weren't going to let that result define us. It was one game and when the stakes were at their highest in the next two games, by God they produced.

"We treated those two games like cup games and we have another tomorrow against Spain. I'm very proud of the players and they're a credit to all their coaches and their families."

Ireland Men's Under-17s Forward Mason Melia said: "Getting Spain is amazing. People may look at it like 'oh, it's Ireland v Spain' but anything can happen in tournament football. I think we have a good chance, a great team, but it's an amazing opportunity to play against the likes of Spain."

Edited by John Nice - 27 May 2023 at 11:21am
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:46pm
Massive challenge later for the lads.

I hope they get a foot in the game early and just weather what will inevitably be a Spanish assault.
It's heartening to see how they responded (players but also the coaches by changing the formation and lineup) to that Poland battering (and it was a proper beating).
If we can be solid at the back and stay in the game, we have the players up front who can relieve the pressure and apply some of their own.

Regardless how it goes, huge kudos to everyone involved.

As for the RTE News Channel picture quality...by jaysus...
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:59pm
Hopefully they can give a good account of themselves. Anything short of a hammering should be seen as a good performance here in all honesty.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Hopefully they can give a good account of themselves. Anything short of a hammering should be seen as a good performance here in all honesty.

I'd say a hammering is quite unlikely tbh (although we have shown a propensity to ship goals). In the group stages, Spain won 2 games, 2-1 vs Italy, 3-1 vs Slovenia and drew 1-1 vs Serbia. In their qualifying group, they beat Germany 4-3, Finland 2-1 and drew 0-0 with Turkey.

It's always hard to gauge where teams stand in relation to one another at this age group, but a hammering? We should have some sort of chance, we drew 2-2 with Italy and qualified ahead of them for the tournament, so a form line through them gives us a chance.

I think the opening day 5-1 defeat to Poland might be colouring opinions here a bit - the management/team seemed to have learned a lesson from that since - hopefully we can at least give the Spanish a scare.

In any case we have done very well to get this far without 2 of our best at this age group in Kone-Doherty and McAndrew. ybig!
Idah Dream!
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 3:14pm
Rte not televising this? and they had a girls u17 game on yesterday same time? dafuk?
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Rte not televising this? and they had a girls u17 game on yesterday same time? dafuk?

Rte news now channel 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 3:57pm
Well Poland have beaten Serbia and Switzerland and 10 man Germany is 1-1 as they head into stoppage time in normal time.
*Germany won on Penalties

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 27 May 2023 at 4:13pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Well Poland have beaten Serbia and Switzerland and 10 man Germany is 1-1 as they head into stoppage time in normal time.
*Germany won on Penalties
So, if England win later we get a playoff against Switzerland for a World Cup spot at worst?
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 4:38pm
What time is kickoff?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 37>
  Share Topic