Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Switzerland player ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Whelan 8.5? I may go watch the match again but I thought he was hopeless last night.

The same as every other game?

I would be one of Whelan's biggest critics on here for the best part of a decade, even getting accused of wanting Whelan to play badly whenever he steps out onto the pitch for Ireland LOL

He has his loyal following who will never admit he has a bad game which is embarrassing, but he done ok last night nothing more than that.

Whelan had about 30 yards of space last night to ping a few forward passes, something you would expect from an international footballer under no pressure. We laud players who do the basics and work hard, hence why he get's away with murder along with many others.

I feel very sorry for McGeady, he's been very good for Sunderland (League 1 or not) and could definitely offer something even from the bench.
He was appalling against Peterborough in his last game.

The whole team were sh*te and got duly punished for it by means of a hammering.

On the whole he's been very good for Sunderland since he joined, there is no logic as to why he isn't in the squad imo. 
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:46pm

It doesn't really matter what you or I think about Whelan. He's starting because Mick picks him.

I thought he had a shaky start but grew into the game and played very well.

He brought the ball forward last night a lot more than he would have previously.

Agree with everything you said here horsebox, its spot on.

But can I ask if you're saying Whelan played well compared to say Schar or Xhaka or are you saying Whelan played well for Whelan?

For perspective if Roy Keane played like Whelan did last night would we be saying Keane did well? Or are we creating a standard for players like Whelan and mcclean?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Whelan 8.5? I may go watch the match again but I thought he was hopeless last night.

The same as every other game?

I would be one of Whelan's biggest critics on here for the best part of a decade, even getting accused of wanting Whelan to play badly whenever he steps out onto the pitch for Ireland LOL

He has his loyal following who will never admit he has a bad game which is embarrassing, but he done ok last night nothing more than that.

Whelan had about 30 yards of space last night to ping a few forward passes, something you would expect from an international footballer under no pressure. We laud players who do the basics and work hard, hence why he get's away with murder along with many others.

I feel very sorry for McGeady, he's been very good for Sunderland (League 1 or not) and could definitely offer something even from the bench.
He was appalling against Peterborough in his last game.

The whole team were sh*te and got duly punished for it by means of a hammering.

On the whole he's been very good for Sunderland since he joined, there is no logic as to why he isn't in the squad imo. 
Maybe I was naturally looking out for him more as I have always liked him, but he stood out as the worst. Gooch on the other side was much better, and he was bad!
korourke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korourke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:50pm
I looked at no less than 5 media player ratings last night and found the most varying to be James McClean. Balls.ie gave him a 4 and said he was appalling. Skysports gave him an 8 and MOTM. Ratings are subjective and is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously Mick loves the fact that he is a work horse, which he is. He is physical, tireless and will run at anything and anyone. He is a grafter and that is his magic. He doesn't give the opposing team any respite.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:54pm
McClean was not our best player for honesty of effort, passion etc. He was it because Stevens was an absolute liability last night and McClean had to do the work of two players on attack and defence, a task he did well.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 06 Sep 2019 at 2:55pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by korourke korourke wrote:

I looked at no less than 5 media player ratings last night and found the most varying to be James McClean. Balls.ie gave him a 4 and said he was appalling. Skysports gave him an 8 and MOTM. Ratings are subjective and is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously Mick loves the fact that he is a work horse, which he is. He is physical, tireless and will run at anything and anyone. He is a grafter and that is his magic. He doesn't give the opposing team any respite.

McClean is a different style of winger to most at this level. His contributions are made via the pressure he exerts and the way in which he tackles. He doesn’t have the abundance of skill to beat his man, which means he needs to get behind his man in other, and no less clever ways, be it getting an inch ahead of his man on a long ball, or using space created by midfield colleagues.

He won a couple of corners last night, one from forcing his man into conceding it, and his tracking back which led to him assisting the goal could not have been more important. But if you’re looking for a traditional winger in McClean you might give him a five. If you actually know what he is about you’ll see he did quite well
Last night.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:39pm
I was looking for McClean to be taking off, he was making mistakes all night.  It it came off for him in the end, even though on another. But you could also say he made his own luck through his commitment 

Edited by t_rAndy - 06 Sep 2019 at 3:39pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by korourke korourke wrote:

4 when attacking and 8 when defending sounds about right!
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:58pm
Whelan an 8.5 is the stuff of delusion. He was repeatedly left for dead last light by even the slightest feint by a Swiss attacker and never came near the ball until the final 15, when he improved and played well. 15 minutes of good play and 75 of below average stuff.

McClean was utterly dreadful. He won the ball back a few times but gave it away again immediately. Ran down blind alleys all night. Can't understand the Alan Judge change, he is a league 1 plodder and Robinson was far more likely to grow back into the game than Judge was to affect it. See - Sheffield United v Chelsea for how he did that. Judge did absolutely nothing when he came on.

We reverted to a 5-3-2 for about 20 minutes at the end of the first half and it looked very good. Like to see that again for us.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 4:00pm
https://www.skysports.com/football/rep-ire-vs-switzerland/403307

Man of the match: James McClean

Wouldn't have been my choice.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 4:46pm
Whelan looked very leggy at times. Was showing his age in my opinion. But he kept going to best of his ability. As someone else said earlier, if you had his head in McLean’s body then you would have a terrific baller imo
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 5:21pm
This lad tried that , didn’t end well 
Istabraq View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Istabraq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:06pm
Agree totally with your ratings.we saw the same game.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:07pm
Thought Mc Clean did very well, not once did Stevens get past him on the overlap or help going forward. A complete contrast to McClean defensively. Saying that thought Stevens started ropey, but gradually settled and was a bit better 2nd half. Mc Cleans tracking that time when they were on the counter was excellent, and great effort also for the goal. 

Robinson disappointed a little, but can fade in and out most times I've seen him. Plus was strange formation, not surprised to see him taken off. 

Thought the midfield got overran at times. Hourihane was quiet and didn't do enough for me. 

Also Mc Goldrick was popping up on the left, right, midfield etc.. love for him to play the width of the box and keep the shape a little better, but I can understand his thinking. Took the header very well. Made a great chance for himself the first half, surprised he tried the pass across goal, thought the shot was on. 

Edited by cardwizzard - 06 Sep 2019 at 6:10pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:20pm
Mcclean is 100% effort, commitment, passion and desire and people rate him very highly for that. 

However, if that's all it took he'd be playing for Barcelona or man city, hes not... hes playing for a terrible stoke team as their left back.

You need technical players at international level, even against the so called minnows who are now better organised than 20 years ago. 

Mcclean has done brilliantly with his energy but as a footballer hes poor and it costs the ireland team especially in possession.

Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:41pm
Can we try derrick Williams or Greg Cunningham as full left back. Just as cover?

Edited by Paul Andrew White - 06 Sep 2019 at 7:41pm
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:42pm
I would even Play Marc Wilson back in there!!!
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 3:37am
Randolph 7

Coleman 7
Duffy 8
Keogh 7
Stevens 6

Hendrick 5
Whelan 6
Hourihane 6

Robinson 5
McGoldrick 7
McClean 7

Judge 6