Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Switzerland player ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland Switzerland player ratings
    Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:53am
Randolph - Kicking was good, one decent save were he got distance punching away a dangerous cross - 7

Coleman - seemed to lack the usual spark he has for his club side when attacking, a few good clearances and solid defensively - 7
Duffy - one tremendous block first half, some good passing and generally dominant - 8
Keogh - untroubled and efficient - 7
Stevens - very shaky start with some bad touches and passes, improved after the break - 5.5

Whelan - brilliant performance, passed it forward more often than usual, spread the play and unlucky not to score a belter - 8.5
Hendrick - very good first half, faded a bit after the break - 7.5
Hourihane - wasn't really in the game bar a few decent deliverys from set pieces - 6
McClean - work rate exceptional which led to the goal. His technical ability let him down a few times but gives everything - 7.5

Robinson - a few nice touches early on, faded after the break before being replaced - 6.5
McGoldrick - a bit frustrating first half, needlessly fouling the defender when trying to go round him, and a poor cross after he'd done brilliantly to outstrip Schar. Held it up brilliantly second half, worked tirelessly and was rewarded with a great header - 8

Judge - 6
Hogan - 6.5

Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:59am
Surely someone got a plus rating LOL
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Surely someone got a plus rating LOL

You seem non-plussed about this.

Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:17am
I don't remember Judge doing anything other than getting booked.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:45am
And stopping a certain goal.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:14am
Agree with everything Baggio says
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:15am
Randolph - was fine, nothing he could do with the goal. 6

Coleman - decent. Tried to play his way out of trouble into blind alleys a bit too much for my liking but good runs. 6.5
Duffy - very solid at the back. A leader. 8
Keogh - dragged all over the place positionally at times, didn't inspire confidence. 6
Stevens - a liability first half who was lucky to stay on the pitch. Quiet second half. 5

Whelan - he was ok. Very good interventions at times, missing at others. Unfortunately his legs don't allow him to keep pace with younger, dynamic midfielders now. 6
Hendrick - bright first half, seemed to all flow through him, faded second half. 6.5
Hourihane - didn't see him all that much, didn't make much of an impact. 5

Robinson - It didn't come off for him at all last night. He'll have better days. 5
McClean - My man of the match. Absolutely excellent defensively and alleviating pressure, his attacking performance was average. 8.5

McGoldrick - got the goal, and generally did what he could, dangerous at time and always seems to be causing problems with his wily veteran play. How many years now have we been humping it up to target man that are under 6 foot? that's not his fault though. 7
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Agree with everything Baggio says

Heart
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:56pm
Whelan 8.5? I may go watch the match again but I thought he was hopeless last night.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Whelan 8.5? I may go watch the match again but I thought he was hopeless last night.

Agreed 8.5 is madness.

McClean 7.5 also?

We must be the only country in the world where we give players extra marks for working hard and putting in an honest effort.

The only reason McCleans runs so much and throws himself into tackles is because he's so poor technically and gets found out when in possession more often than not. 

(Fair play to him for his involvement in the goal mind)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:04pm

We're measuring effort not actual football performance. 

Midfielders Whelan and Mcclean account for a lot of the midfield players and seem to get 8 and 8.5 for their performance but somehow the ireland midfield was completelly outclassed by the swiss.

Not sure how that's explained.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:07pm
To put it into perspective, Roy Keanes performance in Turn that night in 99 for United against Juve would be somewhere up near the 9/10 same with Richard Dunne in Moscow for Ireland.

Glenn Whelan got an 8.5 last night despite Switzerland cutting us open time and time again through the centre? 

Now while he wasn't bad (pass marks imo as he done ok) there is not a hope in hell he deserved anywhere near an 8.5. Our whole midfield probably deserved a 6 all round.

Duffy was MOTM by some distance.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:09pm
I’m not sure any player was worth much more than a 7.

We were reasonably solid, but created very little and soaked up a lot of pressure.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We're measuring effort not actual football performance. 

Midfielders Whelan and Mcclean account for a lot of the midfield players and seem to get 8 and 8.5 for their performance but somehow the ireland midfield was completelly outclassed by the swiss.

Not sure how that's explained.

You're spot on there and it makes for grim reading.

Match defining moments can of course play apart in a player ratings, you look for players who grab the game by the scruff of the neck and deliver a special moment to define the result.

Our players get high marks for working hard and running around, it's depressing.

Edited by Green Devil - 06 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:10pm

The same as every other game?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I would be one of Whelan's biggest critics on here for the best part of a decade, even getting accused of wanting Whelan to play badly whenever he steps out onto the pitch for Ireland LOL

He has his loyal following who will never admit he has a bad game which is embarrassing, but he done ok last night nothing more than that.

Whelan had about 30 yards of space last night to ping a few forward passes, something you would expect from an international footballer under no pressure. We laud players who do the basics and work hard, hence why he get's away with murder along with many others.

I feel very sorry for McGeady, he's been very good for Sunderland (League 1 or not) and could definitely offer something even from the bench.

Edited by Green Devil - 06 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I would be one of Whelan's biggest critics on here for the best part of a decade, even getting accused of wanting Whelan to play badly whenever he steps out onto the pitch for Ireland LOL

He has his loyal following who will never admit he has a bad game which is embarrassing, but he done ok last night nothing more than that.

Whelan had about 30 yards of space last night to ping a few forward passes, something you would expect from an international footballer under no pressure. We laud players who do the basics and work hard, hence why he get's away with murder along with many others.

I feel very sorry for McGeady, he's been very good for Sunderland (League 1 or not) and could definitely offer something even from the bench.
He was appalling against Peterborough in his last game.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:34pm
It doesn't really matter what you or I think about Whelan. He's starting because Mick picks him.

I thought he had a shaky start but grew into the game and played very well.

He brought the ball forward last night a lot more than he would have previously.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic