You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

awful but hardly a suprise. Soon as the grab all w**kers look for hand outs millions suddenly appear, and Harps still haven’t been sorted. Absolute event junkie sh*tebags in govt here.

Harps have been sorted plenty, they've to find €700k themselves, same as most clubs have to do, same as Ulster GAA have to do here. 
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 3:04pm
When do you ever see a FF/FG politician at a football match be it LOI or international?  Almost never yet they'll regularly be seen at Munster/Leinster games and rugby internationals.  Also GAA.

The only time they'll condescend to sacair is for the glory games in a World Cup or Euros

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

When do you ever see a FF/FG politician at a football match be it LOI or international?  Almost never yet they'll regularly be seen at Munster/Leinster games and rugby internationals.  Also GAA.

The only time they'll condescend to sacair is for the glory games in a World Cup or Euros

Noel Rock does attend games I think. Am sure there are a few others also who I just can't think of.
Not a fan of FG myself but some have shown a bit of interest in football. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 3:13pm
From recall Bertie used attend the occasional Shelbourne game.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

From recall Bertie used attend the occasional Shelbourne game.
He also had a box in Old Trafford, only in Ireland would that be acceptable. Thankfully things are slowly changing. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

The Irish government allocating 50m towards Casement Park. That is a shockingly high number in a pure sporting context. 

Obviously the whole North-South dynamic it's about a lot more than sport. 

But when you think about what the FAI are looking for in terms of a long-term development of football and then you see 50m being handed out like that to GAA and the North, I am shocked. 

Let's hope the North don't pip us now for one of the qualifying spaces parked off for the hosts!

Right decision, our 2nd city needs a proper stadium and Ulster GAA needs a modern stadium that is fit for purpose. None of this tribal GAA vs football sh*te, is about what's best for the people of Ireland.

I'm not against the investment. It's just continues to shock me that we can pull out massive money to top up GAA investment into yet another stadium. 

Clones is fit for purpose too I would say. 

Obviously a modern stadium is nice. But there are football stadia around the country that are being attended every friday night that are not fit for purpose. A few quid thrown that way would be nice too. 

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 4:02pm
Politicians don't want to be associated with losing teams.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 4:06pm
Look, let's make this simple for the slow learners.

There was an agreed dividend for the restoration of stormont with x from UK government and y from the Irish government.

The biggest political football (pun intended) for unionism was to block casement. Irish government for once do the smart thing and use some of their funding to take this issue off the table while also funding projects the support southern border counties (Ulster gaa and a5).

It's all coming back to our state in ten years anyway.

There's a reason the government won't touch Irish football with a bargepoll and it's all self inflicted.

Edited by Saint Tom - 20 Feb 2024 at 4:06pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 4:42pm

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 20 Feb 2024 at 4:42pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 9:33pm

The Irish government allocating 50m towards Casement Park. That is a shockingly high number in a pure sporting context. 

But when you think about what the FAI are looking for in terms of a long-term development of football and then you see 50m being handed out like that to GAA and the North, I am shocked. 

Let's hope the North don't pip us now for one of the qualifying spaces parked off for the hosts!

Right decision, our 2nd city needs a proper stadium and Ulster GAA needs a modern stadium that is fit for purpose. None of this tribal GAA vs football sh*te, is about what's best for the people of Ireland.

Well it’s not really. I’m a “person of Ireland” and I couldn’t care less about the GAA.

Football is the most participated sport in the country (sports council stats) and doesn’t get its fair share in sports funding towards infrastructure.

50 million towards a GAA stadium in Belfast that will be filled how many times a year? No thanks 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:00pm
Great news, nice shiny new stadium for the Ulster finals along with a wee bridge, making it handy to pop over to Carlingford for a rake of pints on a Sunday and easier for the free staters to stop and pay their respects at NW. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Well it’s not really. I’m a “person of Ireland” and I couldn’t care less about the GAA.

Football is the most participated sport in the country (sports council stats) and doesn’t get its fair share in sports funding towards infrastructure.

50 million towards a GAA stadium in Belfast that will be filled how many times a year? No thanks 

If it pisses off unionist politicians, 'No to Casement' mask-slipping Our Wee 'Country' fans and makes Jim Allistersaurus head explode, I'm all for it. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:22pm
Folks, if we want a united Ireland (and I'd f**king hope most who post on here do) these are the type of projects we need to get behind. 50 mill is steal when stacked up against the children's hospital or the Dublin metro 

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 20 Feb 2024 at 10:22pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Folks, if we want a united Ireland (and I'd f**king hope most who post on here do) these are the type of projects we need to get behind. 50 mill is steal when stacked up against the children's hospital or the Dublin metro 

It’s not a “steal” when it’s 50 million into 1 GAA stadium that will rarely be full, when you compare it to what’s been put into infrastructure for the most participated sport on the island.

The league of Ireland badly needs investment and we’re p!sing away 50 million on 1 GAA stadium in Belfast. Not right (especially considering all the other millions the GAA gets)

However, I take the point that’s it’s good craic seeing the unionists wound up. But it’s a very expensive joke isn’t it!
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:27pm
Incoming...
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:56pm
I'm happy our government are helping to fund projects like this and the A5. I am slightly pissed though that we have to continually jump through hoops to get the stadium going in ballybofey but the goalposts seem to constantly change. More pressure needs to be put on the government to support football in Ireland
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:27am
I've no real issue with it. Unification inevitable, so it will have some benefit to all in the future.

However, when you break down the funding plan the FAI presented a while ago, it worked out at 35m a year.

There's money there, it's a political choice not to provide it. Although, the FAI need to get better at lobbying and creating a better image in the public eye in relation to their corporate governance.

Edited by The Huntacha - 21 Feb 2024 at 4:29am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 6:21am
But they only recently gave 30m or so to Cork too for what is currently a white elephant. 

If it was 30m towards Mayo GAA for their stadium now as well I'd be saying same that this is just mad money for another GAA stadium.

Now I know it's coming from a different fund rather than sport capital. And one day it will hopefully be ours anyway (and in a way it will be anyway because GAA is all-Island. 

And probably it will be part of a future Rugby World Cup bid too which would definitely be another selling point to the rugby loving politicians Big smile

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the UK government react to make up the shortfall and how the DUP behave if the UK do cough up. Hopefully it yet again makes them look stupid and bitter and helps swing more the middle ground towards the unity side.

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Feb 2024 at 8:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
  Share Topic