You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 56>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:17am

Some delusional analysis on here, we're giving players in the midfield 7.5 and 8 and watching the game you see the Swiss midfield outclassed them and walk through them all night. 

We had 4 shots with 2 on target 
Swiss had 14 with 3 on target 

Possession 41% ireland 59% swiss 

If it wasn't for some poor swiss finishing and some excellent shot blocking by ireland we would have lost by a margin.

I love ireland and will always support them but if they play crap football I'm not going to pretend that it was amazing.

Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:33am
When you're getting around 30% possession against Georgia not so long ago, these figures aren't really that bad

greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:37am
Might sound silly, but I think the result that may cost us most in this group was the 3-3 between Denmark and the Swiss. Would have really been in our interests for one side to take 6 points in the 2 meetings between them
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
jimjims View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:43am
I think there is a bit of rose tinted on this morning. Delighted we got an equaliser. A typical Irish performance and result. From the Swiss perspective they blew it. 

They high pressed in the first half and caught out players like players like Whelan and Hourihane who aren't happy with the ball at feet. Only for Duffy and Coleman. The two wing backs were pinned for 45 minutes. Enda Stevens defending and rashness being caught out.

Hendrick was no where to be seen when you need him to link play. Resort to balls to the wing that McClean can chase and subsequently lose. Calum Robinson is lost trying to create from the right wing. McGolderick again isolated.

Improvement in the second half when the Swiss slowed down and bit. Play opened up. Stevens got forward a bit more. Also exposed us at the back. They got their goal. And then they sat on it. We we looked determined from then on. Still only a few half chances. But importantly take the one that is a dead cert. 

Im not buying into this sh*t that we dont have the talent. Anyone watching the Premier Leaguen can see the way Shefield United utilise Robbo and Stevens. The also work a high press with industrious midfielders something we seem to have in abundance. We see how Coleman is an absolute beast at Everton. McCarthy needs to adapt or we will be going out of this tournament on goal difference.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:44am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Dublin Doc hope your head not too sore this morning but I'm sure you had a good night. Have to agree 100 % with your post last night as I'm sure most on forum will. Well done but doubt it will silence the attention seeker.
I'm sure we will see him in Tbilisi and Geneva NOT 🇮🇪🇮🇪 
Well done Ireland a lot of Pride shown last night.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:48am
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Might sound silly, but I think the result that may cost us most in this group was the 3-3 between Denmark and the Swiss. Would have really been in our interests for one side to take 6 points in the 2 meetings between them

If we win in Georgia.
If we continue to “win” 1-1 v Switz away and Denmark home.
And if the Den-Swi is not a draw.....then we qualify

Éire: P8 W4 D4
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:51am
Ok f*cking hell I was in the South Stand singing away and the fans in the rest of the stadium are a f*cking disgrace. Barely moved. It's like they're at the Venice Film Festival or something. 
We'd be a much better prospect at home if we had decent fans, we are f*cking useless fans. 

Anyway thought the Swiss were just able to waltz around midfield, especially that no. 11. Thank god for that goal. 

And youngfellas still sing IRA songs. Morons. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Ok f*cking hell I was in the South Stand singing away and the fans in the rest of the stadium are a f*cking disgrace. Barely moved. It's like they're at the Venice Film Festival or something. 
We'd be a much better prospect at home if we had decent fans, we are f*cking useless fans. 

Anyway thought the Swiss were just able to waltz around midfield, especially that no. 11. Thank god for that goal. 

there is no law that says you must sing if you go to a game. sounded ok on tv to me especially in the last 15 mins.
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

There was a strange bunch of lads infront of us. Never seen them before and they were obsessed with singing a song about the size of Randolph's dick. Confused
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
Will take that.

I felt we had the measure of them coming into the end of the first half. Then second half it could have been there for us had we shown a bit more ambition. Once again, we waited until going behind to do so.

That swiss side is nothing special.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:08am
They waltzed through the middle far too easily but thankfully lacked a playmaker of eriksens calibre to unlock our defence. They were far more athletic and dynamic than us in midfield, we were one paced in comparison but the rest of the team functioned quite well in my opinion. Hendrick was poor for goal but had some good moments. Whelan had a good game has been a great servant but if he plays we cannot have hourihane beside him. Not enough mobility.

How many worldy saves did Randolph have to make though? Thought a point was deserved in the end. The Swiss are a thoroughly unlikeable and grumpy team. Really hope we have some more midfield and attacking options in the mix for when we go to Geneva

The TV crowd footage of the goal was hilarious, some sections going mad limbs everywhere others clapping politely as if they were celebrating des smyth save par in the irish seniors open

Wish we had a smaller 30k stadium at times.   

Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:09am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

there is no law that says you must sing if you go to a game. sounded ok on tv to me especially in the last 15 mins.

I know. It's just a shame we don't have lively fans. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:14am
there move to score was classy. sliced us open good and proper. great finish aswel. in the 1st half they were intent on scoring from way outside the box thankfully but they quit that in the 2nd. they will feel they left 2 points behind last night. thankfully they did.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

there move to score was classy. sliced us open good and proper. great finish aswel. in the 1st half they were intent on scoring from way outside the box thankfully but they quit that in the 2nd. they will feel they left 2 points behind last night. thankfully they did.

When is the last time we scored a goal like that?  Or have we ever scored a goal like that?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:18am
Once again though, we are having massive problems with players dropping off. How many times did Embolo get free around the edge of the box last night? if he'd backed himself to get more shots away we'd be looking at a different result. 

The Swiss will have noticed that, the Danes will have noticed it when we played them, it will hurt us sooner rather than later if we don't rectify it.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:24am
Pretty typical performance and result from us last night but We'll take that result all day and leave it up to a do or die match toward the end of the campaign.

On the plus side , We have a terrible record against the Swiss and theyv'e always done us, so glad to see last night they didnt

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:33am
From watching the game in the stand we looked very poor.
Worked hard but weren’t positive with the ball and were hoping something would happen and were content with the draw never went for the win.

And then we went behind and it all changed we went for it and got rewarded why oh why didnt we at least have some bit of a go before falling behind.

I like Whelan but his legs are gone should only be used in the last 15 minutes of a game to shore things up.

We need young legs in the middle I think Browne could do that job
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:37am
Enda Stevens was disappointing, maybe he can only play wing back and needs the cover of 3 at the back. He could barely control the ball at times, yet 6 days ago was megging Chelsea players and oozed confidence. 
It’s going to be hard for our full backs to have good games when there is no one showing in midfield for the ball.
Fair play to mcclean for was good for the last 10 minutes, but before that he was woeful. Couldn’t believe he managed to stay on the pitch.

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 56>
  Share Topic