You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message
Donegalman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015
Location: Donegal
Status: Offline
Points: 568
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hope Brady dosent play he has been gash since he had a massive falling out with his family a few year ago.
What is this about? 
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan
Avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2018
Location: Kerry
Status: Offline
Points: 148
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Any dual players who are going well should be called

a draw would be a good result against he Swiss and then experiment in the Bulgaria game with a few new players 

The swiss winning would cause us a lot of issues going into the last 3 games with 2x of thoses been tough away trips to Georgia and Geneva.

On the flip side if we were to pull off a mini upset and best the Swiss that would leave us probably only needing 4pts from 3 games to qualify. 17 pts would be enough I reckon. The Swiss would still have to go away to Denmark so we have a real opportunity to land a substantial blow to their qualification hopes. Mick has to try and win the home games. I don't mind us being defensive but we have to have a proper go at winning this game. A draw would be a good result but we have to aim for the win and not just settle for the draw. I reckon this will be the line up Mick will go with 4-3-3

Randolph

Coleman. Duffy. Keogh. Stevens

Hendrick. McCarthy. Hourihane.

Robinson. McGoldrick. McClean.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Back to Top
E2016 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 13 Jan 2016
Location: Cork
Status: Offline
Points: 335
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:54pm
I was at Deepdale at the weekend and Maguire was the best player on the pitch playing left wing.

No reason for McClean to start over him, especially considering McClean has started to play LB for his club, and not very well at that.

Same team as above with that change. Arter in for McCarthy if McCarthy doesn't play for Palace as Arter was Fulham fans man of the match at the weekend. Obafemi looks like he will be starting soon for Southampton and should be a good option off the bench. 


Edited by E2016 - 14 Aug 2019 at 5:55pm
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 27539
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

HB has it in one.

The vast bulk of the team will be determined, as most of the players MM was picking are still in reasonable form.

Randolph, Coleman, Stevens, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick, Hendrick are all nailed on starters. Then it’s a straight shoot between Egan and Keogh (although) one would expect Keogh to probably get the nod. After that, it depends on how MM views Whelan, McClean and Robbie Brady. He may well just stick with them.


No way can he stick with whelan if he's spent the entire pre-season without a club. He'll be miles off fitness. It'll be Arter or McCarthy if the latter plays enough between now and then.


How exactly will McCarthy be fit?

How many games has he played in the last 2 yearss, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being omitted from the squad because of this.

     
Back to Top
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Location: Dublin
Status: Online
Points: 3585
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

HB has it in one.

The vast bulk of the team will be determined, as most of the players MM was picking are still in reasonable form.

Randolph, Coleman, Stevens, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick, Hendrick are all nailed on starters. Then it’s a straight shoot between Egan and Keogh (although) one would expect Keogh to probably get the nod. After that, it depends on how MM views Whelan, McClean and Robbie Brady. He may well just stick with them.


No way can he stick with whelan if he's spent the entire pre-season without a club. He'll be miles off fitness. It'll be Arter or McCarthy if the latter plays enough between now and then.


How exactly will McCarthy be fit?

How many games has he played in the last 2 yearss, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being omitted from the squad because of this.


McCarthy has seen a preseason at least. On that basis Whelan should be nowhere near this squad

Arter is the logical choice.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 36645
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

HB has it in one.

The vast bulk of the team will be determined, as most of the players MM was picking are still in reasonable form.

Randolph, Coleman, Stevens, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick, Hendrick are all nailed on starters. Then it’s a straight shoot between Egan and Keogh (although) one would expect Keogh to probably get the nod. After that, it depends on how MM views Whelan, McClean and Robbie Brady. He may well just stick with them.


No way can he stick with whelan if he's spent the entire pre-season without a club. He'll be miles off fitness. It'll be Arter or McCarthy if the latter plays enough between now and then.


How exactly will McCarthy be fit?

How many games has he played in the last 2 yearss, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being omitted from the squad because of this.


McCarthy has seen a preseason at least. On that basis Whelan should be nowhere near this squad

Arter is the logical choice.
And has played a bit of an under-23 game. The odds of him having another injury are much shorter than him starting for Palace!
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 09 Dec 2011
Location: Rome 1990
Status: Offline
Points: 597
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hope Brady dosent play he has been gash since he had a massive falling out with his family a few year ago.
What is this about? 

Yeah first I’ve heard of this. Is it horsesh*te ??
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 27539
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

HB has it in one.

The vast bulk of the team will be determined, as most of the players MM was picking are still in reasonable form.

Randolph, Coleman, Stevens, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick, Hendrick are all nailed on starters. Then it’s a straight shoot between Egan and Keogh (although) one would expect Keogh to probably get the nod. After that, it depends on how MM views Whelan, McClean and Robbie Brady. He may well just stick with them.


No way can he stick with whelan if he's spent the entire pre-season without a club. He'll be miles off fitness. It'll be Arter or McCarthy if the latter plays enough between now and then.


How exactly will McCarthy be fit?

How many games has he played in the last 2 yearss, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being omitted from the squad because of this.



McCarthy has seen a preseason at least. On that basis Whelan should be nowhere near this squad

Arter is the logical choice.


I don't think McCarthy or Whelan should be starting against the Swiss because I don't believe either are match fit.

I'd start Arter ahead of them alright. Will he be included?

There really is not a lot of options left.

     
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 27539
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

absolutely no reason Whelan and Mcclean should be in the squad, there are better options available and they’ve both been brutal for years.







Both have been very strong players for us the last few years. McClean was top goal scorer ffs.

Absolute laughable post.
     
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 27539
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

absolutely no reason Whelan and Mcclean should be in the squad, there are better options available and they’ve both been brutal for years.



Both have been very strong players for us the last few years. McClean was top goal scorer ffs.

Absolute laughable post.

 
Mcclean has scored a few important goals but his overall performances have been truly awful.

His reckless mindless tackles cost us more than anything else ffs

Very strong how exactly? Be specific? It's not his final ball that's for damn sure. Or his first touch, positioning or range of passing.



His goals, work rate and defensive abilities, regardless of your deluded opinion of him, the fact of the matter is that he will start against the Swiss. He is a senior member of the squad.

Now can you elaborate on this "reckless mindless tackles cost us more than anything else " with examples?



Edited by horsebox - 14 Aug 2019 at 7:46pm
     
Back to Top
CillDara View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Avatar

Joined: 08 Aug 2011
Location: Kildare
Status: Offline
Points: 344
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:48pm
I wouldn't start McClean and I don't particularly rate him as a player but to say there is absolutely no reason he should be in the squad is way over the top. He was one of our better players in the 2018 qualifying campaign and scored some very important goals. Technically he is very limited and predictable but he does offer a lot of aggression and power which can be useful in some games. 

Most interesting call for these games will be who gets the holding midfield role. I think we would all like to see McCarthy get it but he will need to get at least a game or two under his belt with Palace I'd imagine. Other options would be Whelan or Arter you'd imagine.
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 27539
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
So your not able to back up your point then?

I do think that there are more technically better players in the squad than McClean as he is a very limited footballer.

McCarthy will pick him - that is a matter fact. It's not fantasy football.

     
Back to Top
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Location: Boston, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 2019
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:00pm
As much as I want Maguire to do well, he has not impressed so far. No chance that he will start on the left wing in a game where we need a result. 

As limited as McClean is, managers like and trust him because he can put in a shift and is almost guaranteed to cause some kind of problem for the opposition. I can’t see him losing his place until Kenny comes in.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Back to Top
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2070
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:37pm
McClean would be better used as an impact player, rather than a starter v Swiss. Same with Long.

If it was nil all with 15 to go, they would be the ones you'd want sprung from the bench.
Back to Top
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Location: Co. Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 711
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hope Brady dosent play he has been gash since he had a massive falling out with his family a few year ago.
What is this about? 

Yeah first I’ve heard of this. Is it horsesh*te ??

It's a fact. Most of his family including both parents didn't attend his wedding. He has had a major falling out and apparently it's down to his wife.

One of my mates knows the family and used to live beside them in Baldoyle.


Edited by Mr. Snrub - 14 Aug 2019 at 9:03pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss!"
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 36645
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hope Brady dosent play he has been gash since he had a massive falling out with his family a few year ago.
What is this about? 

Yeah first I’ve heard of this. Is it horsesh*te ??

It's a fact. Most of his family including both parents didn't attend his wedding. He has had a major falling out and apparently it's down to his wife.

One of mates knows the family and used to live beside them in Baldoyle.
Who gives a f**k? Let them get on with their lives. f**king hell, it's like Love Island and Coronation St. rolled into one.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 2136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:09pm
Coronation street is in a shocking state at he moment. It's worse than one of those Robbie corners that hits the first man.


Horsebox is right.We struggle to score goals so much, McClean  probably still just about deserves a place in the team for his goal threat.
Back to Top
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Location: Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 1793
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:52pm
Arter to start.
McClean impact (literally) sub.
1 Hugh Jarse....Bada Bing
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.