Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 56>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hogan gets the nod instead of Long based on Micks comments
Tbf on what basis could you play long, he's been missing from Southampton nearly as long as Madeleine McCann has been missing in the Algarve. I'd have no problem with Hogan being in ahead of him
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:24pm
The counter argument would be that Long has proved he can be effective at International level whereas Hogan hasn't. Not saying I fully agree with that.

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The counter argument would be that Long has proved he can be effective at International level whereas Hogan hasn't. Not saying I fully agree with that.

so has liam brady , i wouldnt start either him or long  
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 4:49pm
Liam Brady what a Player!!
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:17pm

Shane Long, the scorer of great goals but not a great goal scorer. 

He isn't the David Healy of Internatiional football but would still have him in the squad ahead of Maguire. 

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 23 Aug 2019 at 8:30pm
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:43pm
So Mick's preferred midfield trio are lacking game time. Both Hourihane and Hendrick are on the bench for their respective clubs. Whelan has just moved to hearts. Tricky situation.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

So Mick's preferred midfield trio are lacking game time. Both Hourihane and Hendrick are on the bench for their respective clubs. Whelan has just moved to hearts. Tricky situation.

As I see it Hendrick hasn't seen any game time yet this season.

Whelan hasnt played either, I believe he was an unused sub in hearts last game.

Hourihane started in the first game but has fallen our of favour.

Harry Arter seems to be in good form, Cullen also playing regularly, James McCarthy likely to see more time at palace but to be fair hasnt played much yet.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:08pm
Thing is that Mick's statements about lads playing for their clubs only applies to certain players, there's a few immune from that. You can see by the statements that Hendrick will play regardless, the same would apply to Coleman should he be dropped at Everton (not suggesting that is going to, or should, happen) and likely Duffy as well. I presume McClean has some kind of document stating he starts for the rest of his days as long as he can lace his boots too, though to be fair to him, he's at least playing, unlike some of his possible replacements. 

Regarding Long, its hard to see him playing V the Swiss, even if he does make the squad/bench. He hasn't actually played a minute in the qualifiers for us so far and hard to see that changing if he isn't playing for Southampton. As poor as his recent goalscoring has been, on 17 goals, he is still far ahead of the next Irish player in the scoring charts, McClean on 10. Brady has 8, and after that yer down to the defenders, Duffy, Clark & Christie have 3 each. 

Looking at a likely starting 11, you will have Duffy's 3 goals, Coleman's single goal, Hendrick's 2 goals, McClean's 10 and possibly Whelan's 2 if he starts. Brady probably won't start even if he overcomes the injury and Long nearly certainly won't- nobody else bar Hourihane (1) has ever scored for us. Its a big ask of Duffy to be our main defender and biggest goalscoring threat, he managed it in Denmark but he can hardly keep doing it in every game. Hourihane, if he plays is obviously a threat from frees, but you wouldn't put more than a fiver on any of the rest to score, even including McClean on recent Ireland form.

McGoldrick has played well for us, but we really need him or Robinson to become a genuine goal threat if we are to go anywhere in this group, I don't see goals coming from midfield and if McGoldrick is the chosen one up top, not as if Maguire or Hogan will likley be much of a factor either, unless they can replicate Long's occasional supersub role. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Thing is that Mick's statements about lads playing for their clubs only applies to certain players, there's a few immune from that. You can see by the statements that Hendrick will play regardless, the same would apply to Coleman should he be dropped at Everton (not suggesting that is going to, or should, happen) and likely Duffy as well. I presume McClean has some kind of document stating he starts for the rest of his days as long as he can lace his boots too, though to be fair to him, he's at least playing, unlike some of his possible replacements. 

Regarding Long, its hard to see him playing V the Swiss, even if he does make the squad/bench. He hasn't actually played a minute in the qualifiers for us so far and hard to see that changing if he isn't playing for Southampton. As poor as his recent goalscoring has been, on 17 goals, he is still far ahead of the next Irish player in the scoring charts, McClean on 10. Brady has 8, and after that yer down to the defenders, Duffy, Clark & Christie have 3 each. 

Looking at a likely starting 11, you will have Duffy's 3 goals, Coleman's single goal, Hendrick's 2 goals, McClean's 10 and possibly Whelan's 2 if he starts. Brady probably won't start even if he overcomes the injury and Long nearly certainly won't- nobody else bar Hourihane (1) has ever scored for us. Its a big ask of Duffy to be our main defender and biggest goalscoring threat, he managed it in Denmark but he can hardly keep doing it in every game. Hourihane, if he plays is obviously a threat from frees, but you wouldn't put more than a fiver on any of the rest to score, even including McClean on recent Ireland form.

McGoldrick has played well for us, but we really need him or Robinson to become a genuine goal threat if we are to go anywhere in this group, I don't see goals coming from midfield and if McGoldrick is the chosen one up top, not as if Maguire or Hogan will likley be much of a factor either, unless they can replicate Long's occasional supersub role. 

When you analyse our goalscorers, it's makes for grim reading. And that's not a knock on Glenn. More of the fact that the 2nd of those goals was nearly 10 years ago LOL (And what a strike it was too).
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:16pm
And Coleman's was a pinball effort, Hendrick V Serbia was deflected, and while McClean's goalscoring record is actually very decent for a winger, he hasn't scored in a good while for us either. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Poor Family guy being called out as one of DMs fake accounts...and Joe Brolly too eho I now know is a genuine poster seeing as he was with Familyguy the other night at a game.Everything else spot on though.

Delighted that Familyguy was outed as a fake poster, suspected it for ages. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:52am
[QUOTE=deise316]And Coleman's was a pinball effort, Hendrick V Serbia was deflected, and while McClean's goalscoring record is actually very decent for a winger, he hasn't scored in a good while for us either. [/QUOTE

Mcclean looks certain to play as hes playing football and I can't think of anyone else in terms of realistic competition.

Whelan seems unlikely as he still hasnt played a minute of football, hearts  next game is vs Celtic (will they throw him on in that game?) And then Hamilton just before we play the swiss. 

Mcgoldrick and robinson look like very likely options with Long very unlikely 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Whelan hasnt played either, I believe he was an unused sub in hearts last game.

An unused sub for Hearts, I know that probably due to lack of match fitness, but still that's a new low if we start picking players who are unused subs at Hearts. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 9:15am
Ah is he back again.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 9:54am
Mick has been unfortunate in the recent double headers that the friendly match is after the competitive one and not before. I'm sure he would have done lots in the Bulgaria game to see how the midfielders who are getting game time are looking compared to the ones who aren't.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 11:53am
If Mick's statements about playing time held true for all players, we would be lining up with a midfield of Arter, Cullen & Jack Byrne. I have as much chance of starting meself as 2 of those, though Arter's good form for Fulham so far and the fact a lot of our midfielders aren't playing could mean a chance for him. I'd say Cullen will almost certainly get a run V Bulgaria, or at least, he should do given all Mick's statements about playing time. 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

If Mick's statements about playing time held true for all players, we would be lining up with a midfield of Arter, Cullen & Jack Byrne. I have as much chance of starting meself as 2 of those, though Arter's good form for Fulham so far and the fact a lot of our midfielders aren't playing could mean a chance for him. I'd say Cullen will almost certainly get a run V Bulgaria, or at least, he should do given all Mick's statements about playing time. 

Cullen and Byrne will play against Bulgaria. Realistically, who else in midfield does Mick need to see? 

If Troy plays 5 minutes of senior football for Spurs, I'd say he's guaranteed to play against Bulgaria. I still have an inkling that Mick will have him in squad anyway. 

Also, wouldn't rule out players being sent home after Switzerland game and others from provisional squad being drafted in. 

If Bulgaria game was before Swiss match, then it would have been treated very differently. Would have been about getting first 11 up to speed. 

Essentially, Bulgaria game is now the experimental playground Mick never had. I hope he doesn't waste it.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 1:37pm
Jayson knight starts for derby today.

Might be more justification for his inclusion to the ireland squad (not first team) than a lot of others at this point 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 56>
  Share Topic