You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International Matches outside FIFA Calendar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm
Remember it well got soaked in Turners Cross. I could be mistaken but think that was a Tuesday afternoon and we played Senior team V England next day in Landsdowne.
Sponsored Links

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:27pm
Edit we played Wales next day.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:46pm
With 2021 being the Centenary of the FAI i thought they might when the fixture list was published announce a special Centenary match against an Argentina or Brazil etc to mark the event.

I wonder pre Euro game next July will there be an international match outside of FIFA calendar.
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm
I was at it at as well Kevin, standing on the mudbank that was the St.Annes end.It was a great match, people were surprised we won so easily
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Edit we played Wales next day.
There was no match programme as such for the B international put a page with the squads appeared in the programme for the Wales game.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

I was at it at as well Kevin, standing on the mudbank that was the St.Annes end.It was a great match, people were surprised we won so easily
I was supposed too.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Did the league of Ireland put together a team to play another country in the 90’s? 
I’m sure it happened but can’t find anything on Google.
Most recently league of Ireland XI played in that Dublin super cup at the Aviva against Celtic, Man Utd and Man City but before that regularly played games against the Irish League, Welsh league and  against the Scottish League. 
There's a few really interesting and u usuall ties played also in 1979 a LOI XI played against the Basque Country at the San Names stadium in Bilbao in front of 40,000.
There's a good wiki page here on it.

Thanks. I was actually at the Dublin Super Cup and seen a Man City team playing against a League of Ireland team. James McClean was actually in the squad if i can remember. But the stand out for the league team was Daniel Kearns. Think there was a couple of NI and other internationalists. 

I was thinking more of the lines of the actual international team set up with the current coachs but players which will be available after league of ireland finishes. The selection could be complimented by players which may be released from the UK. E.g Molumby, Connell, Elbouzedi, Kelleher, Obafemi. These are just examples and i know the majority of UK clubs wont allow players to be released but it could be for a mutal benefit.

I referenced the USMNT but im aware of their unqiue circumstances. A stronger domestic league with a wide player pool but also a strong compliment of European based players such as McKennie, Pulisic, Weah. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

With 2021 being the Centenary of the FAI i thought they might when the fixture list was published announce a special Centenary match against an Argentina or Brazil etc to mark the event.

I wonder pre Euro game next July will there be an international match outside of FIFA calendar.

The only occasion to mark the centenary with is a re-brand of the Association, not a pointless friendly to remind us how great the Association has been run throughout that time that they needed a bailout from the government in as recently as 2020...

On topic - can’t see there being appetite for this from any stakeholder bar the odd player who would be glad of a cap to show their grandkids. The international calendar is already saturated with unattractive friendlies that are a hard sell for fans without a further dilution.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:44am
What I would like to see is Ireland get an invitation to the copa America. 

We would stink the place out in terms of football but we would bring 10K+ to the tournament and would help ticket sales/local economy etc

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 12:08pm

We would stink the place out in terms of football but we would bring 10K+ to the tournament and would help ticket sales/local economy etc

Big time - would be class. Similar to Euro 2012, we’d lose every game but would have great craic.
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Did the league of Ireland put together a team to play another country in the 90’s? 
This definitely happened anyway

April 30, 1980
Monumental Stadium, Buenos Aires, attendance 75,000
Argentina 1 League of Ireland 0 
Scorer: Diego Armando Maradona

One of his 34 goals for Argentina

1989 Libya 1 v 1 LOI (Bohs/Pats) 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Big time - would be class. Similar to Euro 2012, we’d lose every game but would have great craic.

That would be class. See Qatar and Australia are invited to the tournament this year - so not improbable. I wonder if they would be slightly opposed to a european team being invited. 
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

The only occasion to mark the centenary with is a re-brand of the Association, not a pointless friendly to remind us how great the Association has been run throughout that time that they needed a bailout from the government in as recently as 2020...

On topic - can’t see there being appetite for this from any stakeholder bar the odd player who would be glad of a cap to show their grandkids. The international calendar is already saturated with unattractive friendlies that are a hard sell for fans without a further dilution.

You don't just wipe away 100 years of on field history and not acknowledge it. That's 100 years of clubs, players, tournaments and dare I mention it Irish fans also and their memories.

For what it's worth I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Centenary fixture but that's only my opinion.

If discussing an international match outside of a FIFA calendar in a thread titled "International matches outside FIFA calendar" is off topic then I've no idea what bringing in the bailout and rebranding of association has to do with the topic.
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Most recently league of Ireland XI played in that Dublin super cup at the Aviva against Celtic, Man Utd and Man City but before that regularly played games against the Irish League, Welsh league and  against the Scottish League. 
There's a few really interesting and u usuall ties played also in 1979 a LOI XI played against the Basque Country at the San Names stadium in Bilbao in front of 40,000.
There's a good wiki page here on it.

Link to the game is Bilbao here.

And match ticket here

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 16 Dec 2020 at 11:52am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 3:49pm
Maybe ye could celebrate the FAI's 100 years* with another game against Basque opposition?

16th December 2020

Basque breakaway bid looks for UEFA and FIFA recognition

The Basque Football Federation has applied to FIFA and UEFA to be officially recognised so the regional team can compete in international competition.

A delegation travelled to FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich and UEFA’s base in Nyon on Tuesday to register the application for full membership.

A statement on the Basque federation website said it was making the application on behalf of its members following a vote in a 2018 general assembly and that the request represented “the majority desire of Basque society”.

Federation lawyer David Salinas-Armendariz said joining UEFA and FIFA was “a legitimate and absolutely viable objective from a legal point of view” adding that European territories that were not independent states had been recognised by the two organisations before.

https://httpwww.insideworldfootball.com/2020/12/16/basque-breakaway-bid-looks-uefa-fifa-recognition/

(There's a joke there somewhere about "Too many Basques in one exit", but I couldn't be bothered, you'll just have to figure it out yourselves.)

* - Be quick, while the FAI still exists... Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic