You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interest on savings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interest on savings
    Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:34pm
Whatever happened to getting interest on your savings lads? 

My current rate on my savings account is 0.0%.

Sound LOL

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:19am
Ive a few quid in state bonds. Its not a lot but about the best there is out there for risk free.

Edited by Sham157 - 08 Feb 2023 at 12:20am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 1:14am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Whatever happened to getting interest on your savings lads? 

My current rate on my savings account is 0.0%.

Sound LOL

been like that a long time. Depending how much your have to spare, no point admiring it in your bank account. Look to invest in a business/stock, assets or go on nice holidays. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Ive a few quid in state bonds. Its not a lot but about the best there is out there for risk free.

10 year one returns 10%, not bad but you'd want a nice few quid I suppose. Just means your money isn't losing value really. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:41am
Investing in ETF’s is relatively safe investment. A highly diversified basket which can withstand slumps in some markets, leveraging concurrent growth in others. And unlike the state bond, you’d see higher rates of return on a much fast basis.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:52am
Sure just invest it in crypto!!!!
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:58am
Thanks for the advice lads but to be honest I'm just curious to why interest on savings just disappeared. 

Anyone 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:59am

Thanks for the advice lads but to be honest I'm just curious to why interest on savings just disappeared. 

Anyone 

Given interest rates are where they are in the EU zone there have to be accounts paying interest. I imagine it would help to shop around. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 10:00am
Was connected to 0% interest set by ECB wasn't it? 

Theoretically, with interest rates now going up, interest on deposits should in time go up also. I think. Could be way off
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 10:23am

Anyone 
It's all related to Interest Rates that you hear in the media. Last 10 years interest rates dropped to 0 which meant...
- much lower interest on mortgage rates (good thing)
- much lower interest on savings (bad thing for savers, but probably the reason stocks went up so much)

It's coming back with interest rates rising tho, new bank Trade Republic offering 2% interest on your savings.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 10:34am

Anyone 

Increase spending which will stimulate the economy....

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anyone 
It's all related to Interest Rates that you hear in the media. Last 10 years interest rates dropped to 0 which meant...
- much lower interest on savings (bad thing for savers, but probably the reason stocks went up so much)

It's coming back with interest rates rising tho, new bank Trade Republic offering 2% interest on your savings.
Opened a Trade Republic account earlier. Going to dip the toe into ETFs. Anyone invested anything on RTFs with TR? Ive done a bit of reading up but just so much out there I still dont know where to start.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 6:39am

Anyone 

Opened a Trade Republic account earlier. Going to dip the toe into ETFs. Anyone invested anything on RTFs with TR? Ive done a bit of reading up but just so much out there I still dont know where to start.

Geek
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 6:59am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Anyone 

Geek

TMI on the RTFs and ETFs McG?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Anyone 

Geek

TMI on the RTFs and ETFs McG?

It’s TBA via BCC re the RTFs & ETFs TJ

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 9:29am

Anyone 

Presume ya meant ETF's yeah? 

Great way to invest alright, pick the QQQ (Nasdaq) or SPY (S&P500) if you're going that route, they outperform all others by  fair chunk over time and are usually the cheapest. You've to pay 42% tax on your gains is the main issue.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 10:43am

Anyone 

Great way to invest alright, pick the QQQ (Nasdaq) or SPY (S&P500) if you're going that route, they outperform all others by  fair chunk over time and are usually the cheapest. You've to pay 42% tax on your gains is the main issue.

what kind of average percentage return could you hope for, compared with banks, with these lads?
Getting old and intolerant
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Anyone 

what kind of average percentage return could you hope for, compared with banks, with these lads?
Well the S&P has averaged about 10% over forever, pay tax on that and it's a 6% return, but you need to be longer term to ride out the highs and lows
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic