You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Lawlor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:08pm
Smart move for a 22 year old goalkeeper. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn TheMightyQuinn wrote:

wow. did we not have very high hopes for this guy?
he is now in league 2- turns 23 this year. From Man City (out on loan) to league 2. You'd think there would have been something in between.

Eh it's a great move for him, he'll be playing permanent League 1 football from next season would years ahead of him.

Doncaster are 10 points ahead of the playoff places and have the biggest resources in the league, it only would take a spoofer to mess it up.
Portsmouth have far and away the biggest budget and resources in the league. Luton are second, in terms of wage bill at least. They were also rumoured to have offered a million to Grimsby for Bogle. Every year their wage bill gets higher, ever year they stay in League 2.

Back to Lawlor, decent move for him. Donny are more than likely to go up and it appears he will be first choice. He has a real chance to make a name for himself over the next few months as their current first choice keeper, a 23 year old Slovak, is injured.
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:33pm
Goalkeepers are a different kettle of fish. A good keeper can stand out in any league and be snapped up fairly quickly. I think it matters less to development to be a goalkeeper in a lower league than (say) a centre half, in the sense that a World class centre half will stroll it in a lower league and not really improve, a goalkeeper has to make similar saves regardless of the quality of opposition.

You get what I'm saying.  Regular football means its a good move   LOL

Edited by schillaci - 13 Jan 2017 at 9:35pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:53pm
22 for a keeper is pretty much the equivalent of an 18 year old outfielder. He'll be playing L1 football next season so a good enough move for him I think.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 7:26pm
Made his debut in a 3-1 victory. He  could have done nothing about the goal  which was from a bad back pass.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn TheMightyQuinn wrote:

wow. did we not have very high hopes for this guy?
he is now in league 2- turns 23 this year. From Man City (out on loan) to league 2. You'd think there would have been something in between.

Depends on what peoples expectations are. We only knew he was at Man City in the first place because he is Irish, I doubt too many could name the 4th choice keepers of say, Swansea, West Ham or Burnley.

Keepers seem to have different stages of development to outfield players, the likes of Given making his debut at a high level at a young age is something only the exceptional do these days, likes of De Gea, Courtouis etc. This lad has plenty time, look at Randolph, he went off to Motherwell at 22, had a few seasons there & gradually worked his way up to No 1 for us & WHU at 28/29. Lee Grant at Stoke is 33 years old and only made his EPL debut this year. 

Colin Doyle has been up fairly high with Birmingham, went all the way back down again with Blackpool & has now made it back into the Ireland squad at 31. David Forde made his Ireland debut at 31. Plenty time for Lawlor yet, having said that, when Ireland U 21 were rotating between him & Danny Rogers in the past few years, I always thought Rogers was the more impressive of the 2, probably not unconnected to the fact he had played more first team football, so it could yet turn out a good move for Lawlor. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 1:09pm
Watched him last night and was impressed by his physical size, not just his height either, he is a lump of a man/ He gave away a penalty when he appeared to win the ball cleanly and could do nothing about the two goals but maybe was too quick , or even too slow, off his line for the two that were cleared off the line.
Showed he has a bit of a personality, like many keepers, when arguing with a ballboy and then afterwards giving him his gloves. He took me calling him a Dublin bollocks in good humour as well!LOL
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Watched him last night and was impressed by his physical size, not just his height either, he is a lump of a man/ He gave away a penalty when he appeared to win the ball cleanly and could do nothing about the two goals but maybe was too quick , or even too slow, off his line for the two that were cleared off the line.
Showed he has a bit of a personality, like many keepers, when arguing with a ballboy and then afterwards giving him his gloves. He took me calling him a Dublin bollocks in good humour as well!LOL

You really don't like Dubs do you LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Just based on experience.LOL
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 2:16pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Just based on experience.LOL

We ain't all bad
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 1:02pm
In the Doncaster team and gets an assist.. wonder if he'll ever play senior for Ireland.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

In the Doncaster team and gets an assist.. wonder if he'll ever play senior for Ireland.

Doubt it, lost place to Dieng, injuries previously cost him his place to Marosi etc. but this time his form has been inconsistent and doesn't dominate the 6 yard box. He is nearly 25 and benchwarming in league 2 and hasn't ever kept his place for a full season.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:41pm
L1. He's only 24, consistency seems to be an issue but the ability is there.
We're decent enough..
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 11:55pm
Played today against United's u21s and looked dreadful. Let in a poor goal to lose the match in the dying minutes and looked extremely shaky any chance he was threatened.

Sadlier came on at half for Doncaster too. Where he proceeded to never be seen again. 

Young Ethan Galbraith on the other hand had a fantastic game topped off with a thunder**** of a goal. Made his debut for the North last month. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:57am
Along with Danny Rogers and Cillian Sheridan, on trial with Dundee.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic