You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How will the world be different post Covid 19?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
I think a lot of people will realise how much working from home is possible, and it will be a lot more popular after this. Companies will see the benefits too in not having to have so many desks.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I think a lot of people will realise how much working from home is possible, and it will be a lot more popular after this. Companies will see the benefits too in not having to have so many desks.

Companies that value working on site are behind the curve. Work From Home can has major benefits and when it becomes the norm will vastly increase productivity. All the people I know who “work from home” for major businesses jealously guard their time and obsessively meet deliverables and deadlines, otherwise they will be caught out as work shy and make zero progress in their careers. Being present in the office doesn’t guarantee getting the best from workers when work from home is a possibility.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Companies that value working on site are behind the curve. Work From Home can has major benefits and when it becomes the norm will vastly increase productivity. All the people I know who “work from home” for major businesses jealously guard their time and obsessively meet deliverables and deadlines, otherwise they will be caught out as work shy and make zero progress in their careers. Being present in the office doesn’t guarantee getting the best from workers when work from home is a possibility.

My experience working from home.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Good workers will work the same whether they are at home or in the office.
Most large corporations have this as standard practice now - flexible working is key to attracting the best talent.

I’ve been doing one day at home for the last 2 years and it makes a big difference to your week.

eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:26pm

You're assuming we have a functioning nationwide access to strong reliable broadband 
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:31pm

Very unfair on the poor ****s who can’t get a job. It is bad enough that television programmes about rich counts mock them all day, now they can’t even enjoy the one little victory of watching the neighbours f**k off in a rush in the morning.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:57pm
pubs will stop selling Corona on tap to the masses
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 12:35am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

On a societal level, I'd like to think the concept of being personally responsible for yer own decisions gets reintroduced on a broad scale. Again, this is wishful thinking. Over the last decade, it's clear to me that nearly everything is set up to pander to idiots and their needs these days.  This has been cynically exploited by politicians, particularly in the UK and USA of late. 

Dare criticise them for being idiots and it's ''don't demonise them, sure they're being fed misinformation, it's not their fault'' Even on here, there were lads up to a day or 2 talking about going to Bratislava (which closed it's road and rail borders as well as airports since Monday, not that they were bothered to research such minor details) without a single care in the world other than their few quid spent on flights. 

We're being overloaded with information on isolation and social distancing at the moment, yet people think tis grand to head off to the pub on the lash. Presumably, anything that happens as a consequence of that won't be their fault either. Maybe this might change those attitudes, though I'm not exactly hopeful or anything. 

Overdosed on sanity typing that, but the various scenes this evening from Temple Bar & the likes have set me straight. Apologies, dunno what I was thinking. The world belongs to the idiots, the rest of us are only lucky to be living in it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 1:52pm

On a societal level, I'd like to think the concept of being personally responsible for yer own decisions gets reintroduced on a broad scale. Again, this is wishful thinking. Over the last decade, it's clear to me that nearly everything is set up to pander to idiots and their needs these days.  This has been cynically exploited by politicians, particularly in the UK and USA of late. 

Dare criticise them for being idiots and it's ''don't demonise them, sure they're being fed misinformation, it's not their fault'' Even on here, there were lads up to a day or 2 talking about going to Bratislava (which closed it's road and rail borders as well as airports since Monday, not that they were bothered to research such minor details) without a single care in the world other than their few quid spent on flights. 

We're being overloaded with information on isolation and social distancing at the moment, yet people think tis grand to head off to the pub on the lash. Presumably, anything that happens as a consequence of that won't be their fault either. Maybe this might change those attitudes, though I'm not exactly hopeful or anything. 

Overdosed on sanity typing that, but the various scenes this evening from Temple Bar & the likes have set me straight. Apologies, dunno what I was thinking. The world belongs to the idiots, the rest of us are only lucky to be living in it. 

I agree the people in those pubs are idiots, but human nature is that people will take the piss. 

That's why there has to be effective government regulation. 

Self-regulation never works. 

Ironically and paradoxically, regulation by public opinion has actually proved a lot more effective than government regulation during this crisis. 

But that's a damning indictment of government regulation and government communication. 

And our government has been a hell of a lot better than many others in that regard.

The problem has been the reactiveness of it all. Putting off measures that were inevitable anyway on the basis of "the economy". 

The truth is, the economy is f**ked either way. Bringing forward by a week measures that are inevitably going to have to be taken anyway is not going to make the economic problem any worse, and it might give you some small chance of mitigating the public heath crisis. 

The government do not control Cheltenham, this is true, but they should have given clear instructions that Irish people should not travel. They should have made it clear that pubs should close this weekend. 

We are learning more by the day about what measures taken in various countries have worked, yet most countries aren't implementing them. 

A week ago the narrative was that China was an authoritarian country and was taking measures that a democracy like Ireland could never take. Well, that narrative has now collapsed.

We are going to have to take those measures because the lives of hundreds of thousands of people are at stake. 

This is going to be a long slog and people had better be prepared for it.

Hopefully the narrative at the end of it all is that we overreacted, drastically overreacted even. If it is, we'll know that the reaction was entirely appropriate.

Edited by sid waddell - 15 Mar 2020 at 1:53pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm
I am, perhaps naively, hopeful that this could finally be the seismic shock that makes us wake up as a species - like the frog being dropped into the boiling water and jumping out. 

Because we've been slowly boiled alive for years now. 

The solutions to this crisis are going to require government intervention on a scale undreamed of - of the sort we have been told is impossible, even though it is necessary.

They will require international co-operation on a scale undreamed of previously - not turning inward. 

All this will be a litmus test for how we deal with the far bigger crisis that is already unfolding - the destruction of our planet. 

This will be World War II like in its implications for economies and societies. It will require solutions that are even more imaginative than whan happened after World War II. 

But whatever happens, it must involve solutions that encompass a fundamental re-thinking towards things like investment in public healthcare, stopping wealth hoarding, and massive green technological development to preserve ourselves as a species. 

The focus must be on long term thinking. 

This must be the end of the political charlatanism of the likes of Trump, Putin, Johnson and all the other charlatans who have been boiling us alive like frogs.

Edited by sid waddell - 15 Mar 2020 at 2:03pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:19pm
Yep, I agree there. It does feel like this is nature's way of telling us to cop the f**k on. After WW2, many of the important nations realised their folly and realised their stupidity. A few generations on and you have Brits pining for the colonies, Americans wanting more, an increase of racist and protectionist leaders across the globe and all of them deliberately ignoring the climate crisis because of their own personal wealth.
If it doesn't start to hit home now then it never will.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:07pm
I wonder how a break from CO2 emissions for 6 months affect the planet for the better.  Although cars are still driving its much much less and air travel is coming to a halt.  We might get used to a new way of life in these new 6 months and realise we can do without some things.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I wonder how a break from CO2 emissions for 6 months affect the planet for the better.  Although cars are still driving its much much less and air travel is coming to a halt.  We might get used to a new way of life in these new 6 months and realise we can do without some things.

Google the before/after satellite photos of cities like Shanghai and Beijing where before you couldn't see anything because of pollution levels but during their peak of the outbreak the cities were actually visible.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm
Sure emissions from china have reduced massively and this has been well publicised.  So there is no wonder to what will happen environmentally.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Sure emissions from china have reduced massively and this has been well publicised.  So there is no wonder to what will happen environmentally.  

'There is no wonder.' Good God!
So you know and everyone else knows (apart from me obviously) precisely the effect this will have on the environment?  Will it have any effect on the rate of polar ice melting?  What temperature will the air be after 6 months of low emmissions?  Will we see a reverse of global warming or a mere stagnation?  What about the ozone layer?  That has been recovering at a steady rate for a while now.  Will it have any big effect on that? 

So there is no wonder amongst scientists?  I doubt that.

I've seen the photos last week btw.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:37pm
The sight of extremely rich people queuing up in Waitrose for toilet roll is something to behold. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The sight of extremely rich people queuing up in Waitrose for toilet roll is something to behold. 

What do they normally wipe their holes with?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

What do they normally wipe their holes with?

£50 notes.

The new notes tend to rip easy while wiping and there’s nothing worse than a cheeky finger which slips through 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic