You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to attract Polish to go to Ireland games.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

not so sure about that. 

a lot of folks who have moved here have integrated very well and i am sure many of their kids sound irish class themselves as irish of ghanaian/polish/nigerian extraction etc.

i predict many more noe baba's in the next 20 years. 

Yes, this is their "home" even though they are very proud of their country of origin and culture. It wouldn't be too big a deal for them to declare for us, especially as we are a small country compared to theirs and are not sporting rivals of their countries in any way whatsoever.
Sponsored Links

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:35pm
A very hard task, and it will take time. The parents themselves obviously have their loyalty to their own national side and clubteam. They may very well be somewhat sympathetic to our national side, but not enough to be supporting it in any similar manner than how they support their own.

The passion will have to come from their children growing up here who will perhaps have the same passion as we have. In a similar way to myself, also having 2 national teams to support passionately.

Even then, the reality is that only a minority of immigrants and their offspring support the national team of the land they live in/were born in.
Look at examples in the UK, Germany, France and Holland, where immigration has been around for much longer than in Ireland. Speaking from experience here, the percentage of 1st/2nd or even 3rd generation non-nationals attending international games is very low. Teams like Turkey, Morocco etc are hugely supported here by the Turkish and Moroccan ethnic groups, even though their children and even grandchildren have been born here since the 50's and 60's. They still proudly support their 'native' land even though they themselves and sometimes even their parents were born here in The Netherlands. This is of course similar in a way to that of our own diaspora, that still passionately support Ireland even though they themselves or even their parents were born in Ireland. And not all of those proudly support the land where they were born or raised. 

Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:57pm
That's definitely an issue, but there is a slightly different dynamic with Ireland. There is no colonial legacy for starters.

Foreign parentage never stopped Noe Baba, Carel Tiofack, kwame Ampadu, or others playing for us. Eamon Zayed would probably have chosen us before Libya if we had chosen him/he had progressed. In general we have a good record for keeping these lads in green, it's just that none have made the breakthrough to the senior side so there has not been much attention on the matter.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

That's definitely an issue, but there is a slightly different dynamic with Ireland. There is no colonial legacy for starters.

Foreign parentage never stopped Noe Baba, Carel Tiofack, kwame Ampadu, or others playing for us. Eamon Zayed would probably have chosen us before Libya if we had chosen him/he had progressed. In general we have a good record for keeping these lads in green, it's just that none have made the breakthrough to the senior side so there has not been much attention on the matter.

Also the fact that we are a small country and a bit of an underdog has to be a help. There's a bit of a difference between us and much larger countries with a colonial past as you say....I'd say it would be a much easier decision for people to declare for us.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:11pm
The colonial past is definitely a valid point, but in a similar way to the examples given for Ireland this has not stopped the likes of Seedorf, Kluivert, Davids, Gullit, Rijkaard, Winter etc (Surinam) Giovanni van Broncklhorst, Depay etc (Indonesia), Affelay, Bouhlarouz etc (Morocco), Yildirim(Turkey) and many more to declare for The Netherlands to play for us.

Though many 1st/2nd/3rd generation players do declare their allegiance to the Dutch national side, it seems that their compatriots do not switch with the same ease and only a small percentage of them support the Dutch national side and attend the games. And that is is the point I was making, that it will be very hard to get our Polish community to join us in following Ireland.

Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:12pm
The Poles only started coming here just over ten years ago. IMO this generation still has very strong patriotic feeling towards Poland itself, as seen by the huge turnout on sunday. I think we can encourage the next generation to follow Ireland as im sure having grown up here a higher proportion of them will consider themselves to be 'irish'. The fact i think remains that they are Poland supporters first and foremost and if Poland are on the box at the same time we're playing in the Aviva theyll be watching the tv.

from living in poland a while myself i was always very fond of the country and their national team (until the other night of course, diving bastards Angry) but i think no matter how long i lived there i wouldn't have gone to follow the Polish team, because no matter  how long i lived there i think itd have never been enough to consider myself 'Polish'.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:14pm
Although hopefully itll change in the next few years when we inevitably have players in our national side with Polish/Baltic/African names. At that point we'll have a team that unites all of the cultures in this country. I just think that integration hasn't gone on long enough yet for this to be a reality at the minute.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:16pm
Similar religon, culture (drink) (family) are also positives for Eastern Europeans integrating in Ireland more so than Muslims, Hindus etc in the UK, France and Germany.

And without being racist - colour.

Edited by Gary McKay - 31 Mar 2015 at 2:18pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:20pm
Add Thierry Baba to that list as well, named, again, in the Irish u15 side
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Great name.
Would love him to score with his hand against France in 8/10 years time.

Edited by Gary McKay - 31 Mar 2015 at 2:22pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

There was a fantastic atmosphere last night in the Aviva Stadium. It was great to see some Poles with their Polish gear on but having an Ireland scarf around them and face painted green. I saw one Pole decked out in red and white whereas his two small kids had green on. A notable amount would have bought three tickets with the English and Scottish games included. Any way we can attract our Polish friends to Lansdowne more regularly cheering on the Boys in Green? They're clearly football mad and it would be great to have them along more often.

Im honestly not sure if your being serious
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Great name.
Would love him to score with his hand against France in 8/10 years time.

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:33pm
i think folks who have come to Ireland by in large have bought into Ireland and we in turn have welcomed them and made them feel at home. I genuinely think we will see lots of immigrants first and second generation turn out in the green jersey in the years to come. Already lots of african and polish kids with foreign names but Irish accents in Dublin. This will have a positive impact on us on the pitch i am sure of it. I do think it is unlikely that their parents will go to Irish international games regularly and passionately support the team though. We will be there 2nd team behind Ghana, Poland etc

I reckon their is an age cut off here. If i moved to England when i was under 10 i reckon there would be a chance i would class myself as English of Irish heritage and support England. If i moved to England when i was 15 i would very much class myself as Irish living in England and it would not be up for debate no way i would support England.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

i think folks who have come to Ireland by in large have bought into Ireland and we in turn have welcomed them and made them feel at home. I genuinely think we will see lots of immigrants first and second generation turn out in the green jersey in the years to come. Already lots of african and polish kids with foreign names but Irish accents in Dublin. This will have a positive impact on us on the pitch i am sure of it. I do think it is unlikely that their parents will go to Irish international games regularly and passionately support the team though. We will be there 2nd team behind Ghana, Poland etc

I reckon their is an age cut off here. If i moved to England when i was under 10 i reckon there would be a chance i would class myself as English of Irish heritage and support England. If i moved to England when i was 15 i would very much class myself as Irish living in England and it would not be up for debate no way i would support England.

Nope Dave not a chance as my family moved over the Englnad when i was 3 and a half and i have only ever been Irish, 100% sure i was never English Ouch

Edited by Claret Murph - 31 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:37pm
How do we go about attracting Brazilian and Swedish women to our games? They like their football and are easy on the eye too.
simon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:43pm
I'v bought 3 season tickets.And go support Ireland with my kids.I don't go mad like when I'm watching Slovakia playing but can give them shout here and there.Kids are half Irish,they were born here and want to play for Ireland.And the thing is that here in Roscommon there are 40+ kids at  gaelic (u8) and hardly 15 at soccer (u8).And majority of those playing soccer are not Irish...polish,brazilians.There isn't even a football team in Roscommon Town anymore (used to be 2) except one made of brazilians !!And the infrastructure is very poor compare to gaelic.
If you want to attract non irish to football matches you have to targeted kids.Adults will go only if they are really football (sport) mad like me.
Slovakian living in Ireland.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
Often wondered would it be worth a shout for some of the bigger league of ireland clubs to sign a polish player from their league, not sure what kind of money some squad / fringe player from lech poznan or leigia Warsaw would command even if they could get someone in on loan.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Often wondered would it be worth a shout for some of the bigger league of ireland clubs to sign a polish player from their league, not sure what kind of money some squad / fringe player from lech poznan or leigia Warsaw would command even if they could get someone in on loan.
Remember Alex Ludzic playing for Cark in the past...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic